Author Topic: Early spaying of bitch puppies  (Read 1829 times)

Offline SueC

• Site Member
Early spaying of bitch puppies
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:13:42 PM »
Has anyone else come across this recently?  I've had several trimming enquiries about very very shaggy puppies who have been spayed well before their first season & their owners wonder why their puppy coat isn't moulting at all.  Pet Doctors is the vet that gets mentioned most, they say 'it is much healthier to have your puppy spayed asap' & don't give any advice re change in texture of coat etc. 

Too late once it's done of course - the people that have called me have wanted a flat silky coat on their puppy ............. such a shame that correct advice hadn't been given.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Early spaying of bitch puppies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
I used to go to pet doctors and they advise to get male and female dogs neutered at six months :'(
i am sure alot of people follow their advice ph34r Its a real shame !

Offline Vicki

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
Sally was spayed at 6 months on the advice of our independent vet (nothing to do with Pet Doctors). We were told spaying before the first season dramatically reduces the chances of mammary cancer in later life.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

Recommendation to spay at 6 months is pretty standard vet advice... I thought the OP was talking about very young pups...

I have to say, while there are arguments for and against spaying at 6 months, I really don't think coat change should be the motivating factor...  :-\  If we are talking about much younger pups, I still think it is a consideration of the health benefits/risks that should be the deciding factor, not losing the smooth puppy coat.  ph34r
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
I must admit, I had my first bitch spayed at 7 months, so she never did get that lovely silky coat. My decision at the time was based on alot of other factors, the main one, having a very young family, and an older male dog. My second bitch at 19 months old has yet to be spayed, yes she does have a lovely silky coat, but most importantly for me, is maturing naturally, at the pace that suits her. I still don't think she is grown up enough ;) :005:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:48:48 PM »
I am not sure that early neutering is the cause of the fuzzy coat... neutering in general is as far as I can see. Having said that, it does depend on the individual dog. Skye was neutered at 5 months old and still developped the most beautiful shiny sleek adult coat and so far has kept it 8 months on!

Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »
My vet recommends spaying/neutering, but not until the bitches/dogs have had time to mature physically and mentally. For medium sized breeds like Cockers he recommends 15 to 18 months old.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
Freya was also done at 6 months on recommendation of my vet (not Pet Doctors). As Karma said I think its pretty standard advice  :-\ For what its worth Freyas coat hasn't changed at all post spaying

Offline JulieM

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
Florence was also spayed at 6 months on our vets advice (not Pet Doctors) and her coat hasn't changed

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
My Coop had the 'snip' at about 5 or 6 months old when I got him from the SPCA and he has a beautiful silky coat :) I'm a little biased about him  though :) I think if sterilisation is done at a very very young age it can have some negative effects, but I'm not sure it would affect their coats. What I do know, is that if you have them spayed before their first season there is a massive reduction in the incidence of mammary carcinomas in these dogs. If you spay them before their second season there is still a reduction in the incidence but not in the same league as if you have it done before it all starts :)

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
My vet recommends spaying/neutering, but not until the bitches/dogs have had time to mature physically and mentally. For medium sized breeds like Cockers he recommends 15 to 18 months old.

This is our vets advice as well - although in general for bitches they say to allow them to have their first season naturally and they will spay around 2 months after this, whenever that is.

For us with Millie we had no choice as she suffered a pyo about 4 years ago and nearly died, we allowed Jennie to have 1 more season and then spayed her after that.  Spaying had never been a big issue as their seasons didn't interfere with us or our lifestyle.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x