Author Topic: Nature diet...I've think I've made an expensive mistake this morning  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Nature diet...I've think I've made an expensive mistake this morning
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
Henry is very fussy and has refused most dry foods.  The only dry food that he ate first time was Royal Canin Low Fat Gastrointestinal that I had to give him when he had Pancreatitis.  He was on raw food before this, but I had to stop due to the fat content.  He also refused the Chappie that was recommended because it was low fat.  That is now being given to the hedgehogs.  However, I found Lidl sell 1kg bags of frozen, boneless and skinless chicken breasts for about £3.50.  This is quite cheap as it works out at about 80p a meal.

Offline flower1

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 05:04:38 PM »
Toby likes the Burns pouches. There's a choice of lamb, chicken or egg and brown rice and it is easy to see all the ingredients they use.
There' a video on youtube to show what it's like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-UReoUbWVo
They are pretty good with samples though I have only had them for the dried food.
Lucy (28.5.1997-11.05.2010) & Toby (6.2.2010) :luv:

Offline karen488

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
Darcey used to be a fussy eater, then we got Bingley. That fixed it!  ;)

Offline Abbi

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
I had a very very fussy dog, or so I thought. She was on kibble but refused to eat and would starve for days. What she was trying to say was, "this kibble is giving me colitis and hurts my tummy and that's why I don't want to eat it!" She then Tried Nature diet which wasn't too bad but still had bouts of colitis so stopped eating that. She then went onto a raw diet and has never refused it and never had another bout of colitis. No need to cook food in bulk if you are going to leave your dog with someone else and very easy to source if you are taking your dog on holiday. I confess I am mostly a ready made raw, type of feeder (natural instinct/Honeys type) but still very healthy and cost effective, esp when I consider the vets bills I'm no longer forking out for!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
Smudge has some Naturediet Lamb with vegg (carrots) mixed in with his Burns kibble, and enjoys his (at least he eats it without stopping  ;) ) It also stops him getting constipated.  :D

I get it from VetUK - £13.60 for 18 trays + £1.99 delivery. 18 trays will usually last me 3 months - but that is because, as I say, I only use a small amount each meal time.

Try it and see - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 09:52:03 AM »
We use Naturediet and the dogs love it! We are getting it at the moment from Berriewood Pet Supplies and get 4 cases for a total of Fifty one pounds 36 pence. That equates to 12.84 per box of 18. That is the cheapest I have seen and with 2 dogs we go through it fast. I am giving both of them less than the recommended amount, but you have to tailor it to your dog by trial and error. Their coats are glossy and guts having no issues on it.

Here is a direct link to the web site and page with the deal

http://www.berriewoodwholesale.co.uk/det/2103/Naturediet-Special-4-cases-of-18x390g-box-deal-12-84-per-box-FREE-DELIVERY/

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
That's a very good deal, and I think if I were feeding more than 1 pooch - or it was his main meal portion, I would certainly be tempted.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »
Ollie was the same with Kimble and he would go days without rather than eat it. I changed him to raw and never had a problem. Good luck

Raw or fresh is undoubtably best, but when you go away it is a right pain! >:D

To be honest I don't really think its to much of a pain, I just go to the supermarket and pick up something for the day if no fridge or freezer available, pork ribs, breast of lamb, mince or chicken.
It works out a bit more expensive but if its only for a week or 2 each year

What do you do when you go away without your dog.  Last year I had to cook 9 portions of food and freeze so we could go away. 

Charlie is on raw ( he comes on holiday with us)  but I  just bought a cool  box,  he's still fussy so I couldn't just get stuff from the supermarket for him,  so I take my own ( all of his favorites to encourage him to eat when  somewhere new
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
Thanks for all the replies they have all been really helpful.

The place I ordered very kindly cancelled my order.  I am hoping Naturediet do what they say and will send me a sample.  If not I intend to go to PAH at the week end and get a variety of naturediet and wainwright and see which he likes best.  I am going to add it in minute portions to his regular food to start with, so it does not upset him and so he doesn't realise  ph34r

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »
Sounds like a plan! Keep us posted how he gets on.

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
Thanks for all the replies they have all been really helpful.

The place I ordered very kindly cancelled my order.  I am hoping Naturediet do what they say and will send me a sample.  If not I intend to go to PAH at the week end and get a variety of naturediet and wainwright and see which he likes best.  I am going to add it in minute portions to his regular food to start with, so it does not upset him and so he doesn't realise  ph34r

Well full marks to Naturediet, not 10 minutes after posting this the postman knocked on the door with a box with two samples in.  Being a big kid myself  :lol2: I just had to open one and give Alfie little sample..............

Well he chewed a bit, spat it out, picked it up again, spat it out.  Then woolfed it down, went to look in his bowl, so I gave him a couple of little chunks and he.....

LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will give him tiny bit with some chicken for tea and go from there.

Oh happy days  :lol2:

Very impressed with the food, it really does smell like it should, not like normal wet dog food, it actually smelt like chicken and I could see the rice and carrots in it.

I am so sad to be SO EXCITED that at last I can hopefully stop cooking gourmet meals for him.

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »
Great news, we had a fusspot before moving onto Nature Diet, and have never looked back!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »
That's good news   :D

Keep an eye on his teeth on a cooked/wet diet as they can get a bit of tartar on them  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
That's good news   :D

Keep an eye on his teeth on a cooked/wet diet as they can get a bit of tartar on them  ;)

Yes I always make sure he has a few biscuits with his breakfast and he has a rawhide chew every night, (pencil size one). I also give him dentastix now and again but not too often as I think even the small ones are too big. He also gets the odd pigs ear etc.   I read somewhere that a soft diet can often result in better teeth as some kibble contains a lot of sugar.

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »
Ok I promise this is my last post on the subject  ;)

Alfie woolfed his tea down last night, I mixed some fresh cooked chicken with naturediet and he went back twice to lick his bowl!  :D

This morning I gave him half and half again and watched him eating it and he was picking out the Naturediet and eating it first!!!!!! :happydance:

Oh Yay, I think we've cracked it.  I'm off on Sat to buy one of each flavour to find out what he likes and doesn't then I will order in bulk.  Found some great prices, thanks to all who have posted links etc for it.

This is one happy Mummy  :lol2: