Author Topic: Advice - my boy is off his food  (Read 6633 times)

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Advice - my boy is off his food
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »
totally agree that you never stop learning, but I was disappointed that this was left to pet food companies to deal with. 

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 09:34:55 PM »
All pet food marketing is written for the owners not the recipients.

I am no expert but similarly to humans the less processed and closer to nature dog food is the better. Again, as with us, time, convenience and cost all have a bearing on what is eaten.

Different dogs will have different results on varying diets...just like us too!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »
I hate the heavy marketing of RC and Hills in the vet surgery. I don’t read dog  glossy magazines but I’m sure they are full of sponsored articles like womens’ mags.
I am fed up that my small local pet shops, affected by PAH and Home Bargains,  have a wall full of RC dog food for every breed of dog imaginable. These companies brainwash and treat owners like idiots.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »
All pet food marketing is written for the owners not the recipients.

I am no expert but similarly to humans the less processed and closer to nature dog food is the better. Again, as with us, time, convenience and cost all have a bearing on what is eaten.

Different dogs will have different results on varying diets...just like us too!

Totally agree !

Bea is on renal food and I would be happier if she wasn't but needs must  >:(

I learnt alot when she was Raw fed, I then whent on to Home Cook for her , so now she has that with the renal added,  I do treat her to just home cook with a little salmon oil from time to time  :luv:

Its about balance I think !

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »
I hate the heavy marketing of RC and Hills in the vet surgery. I don’t read dog  glossy magazines but I’m sure they are full of sponsored articles like womens’ mags.
I am fed up that my small local pet shops, affected by PAH and Home Bargains,  have a wall full of RC dog food for every breed of dog imaginable. These companies brainwash and treat owners like idiots.

To be fair, they also have the resources and experience to properly test the diets they sell. Which is why the vets choose to sell their veterinary diet lines. Vets have to be careful and can really only recommend products that have research to back up their quality claims. I agree the advertising is over the top and perhaps takes away some of their credibility by being so obvious money driven, but that doesn't mean their products are bad. Breed specific diets however, are pure marketing and complete nonsense. Age specific is useful, diets for different medical conditions are very helpful in treatment and maintenance of sick pets, which is why vets sell these lines and usually not the breed specific ones.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 02:07:39 PM »
I appreciate your reasoned answer, and certainly wouldn’t say the food is bad!
Having had a Spaniel living with epi for eight years, uk and US vets hadn’t much idea over correct diet until referred them to current research on Epi4dogs website,  Hill’s ID with cereals and chicken is unsuitable but regularly suggested. My cocker with kidney problems refused the bland renal tins,  and the vet could only suggest to google homemade.
I just recently groaned at a display of RC ‘Cocker recipe’  next to Schnauzer and Westie terrier versions...dogs of similar size teeth and weight.

Rhodri0311..  why not email for small samples from Millie’s Wolfheart or Eden?   Their websites are good reading, and they are happy to talk about the different ingredients on the phone. Mine loved both  .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »
Good job you figured out the difficult feeding situations. I guess if you don't fit into the categories they create you probably have to rely on your own research and knowledge. I can imagine few vets have the time (or interest) to read up on how to create home diets. I'm glad I have this group to help me if I ever end up in that situation. Yes the breed specific diets are just silly, grouping the dogs by size is much more sensible, clearly just a gimmick! Sorry for going OT  :blink: