Author Topic: Feeding advise please!  (Read 1991 times)

Offline CHARLIE-BROWN

• Site Member
Feeding advise please!
« on: March 19, 2007, 11:45:12 PM »
Hi,

Can someone give me some advise re: amounts for feeding please.....

We have Charlie who is 20 months and approx 16kg and Phoebe who is 3 and a half and 9.5kg and are feeding them James Wellbeloved - if I have worked it out right Phoebe should be on 180g per day and Charlie should be on 260g per day (although we have reduced this a little as he could do with loosing a couple of kilos!).

What I wanted to know was does anyone know how much we should be reducing these amounts by to account for the treats/chews they have aswell.  I know we should adjust accordingly but I have no idea how many calories etc are in the chews so dont know how much to reduce the food by.

They usually have a chew each in the morning - as I work 9-12 - a cows ear or piece of paddywack or rawhide stick. Then they have a few treats during the course of the day for training and very occasionally a chew in the evening.

Any ideas?

thanks
Rachel, Charlie & Phoebe

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: Feeding advise please!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:10:52 AM »
Its trial and error really, as all dogs vary so much as to how food they need.

Do you have access to scales to weigh your dogs?  If not then do it by sight/feel.  If you feel happier cutting their food back a bit to offset their treats then maybe take 20g of a day.  Then over a couple of weeks see if they gain weight drop the amount a litter, if they lose weight and they don't need to up it a little and if they stay as they are then keep it the same.  There isn't an exact science unfortunately.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Bagpuss

• Site Member
Re: Feeding advise please!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:06:40 AM »
You could be me!

Our Charlie weighs about 15.5kg and we've just switched him from Bakers Complete (he was on 175g twice a day when he came to us!) to James Wellbeloved.   It says to give him about 260g (depending on variety) so we give him about 130g morning and night.   As he's new to us, I'm keeping an eye on his waistline, but I'm hoping the reduction of amount will compensate for his treats.

He's a working (but not!) cocker, so he's on the go all the time!

Good luck.  :)