Author Topic: BARF quick question  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
BARF quick question
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:23:12 PM »
I was in the butchers and he was selling defrosted rabbit and as my oh wanted to try it I bought some. I want to try Loki with some mixed in with his dry food but how much should I give? I know the total is 10% of his weight but I think he is around the 9 - 10kg mark so would 100g be ok? This is the first step in us going onto barf so wanted to make sure we got it right.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: BARF quick question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:49:36 PM »
Its not advised to feed raw and processed food together, because it is digested differently - and could end up giving Loki the squits  ph34r

I would suggest you give him a small portion (maybe a leg?) a good few hours after his processed food meal......and see how you get on  ;) You might want to bash it with a rolling pin the first few times :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 12:53:02 PM »
Its actually rabbit fillets (I love the butcher - he is my friends dad and he has offered to give me bits without any little bones in so I dont have to worry) He hasnt had any dry since breakfast so was gonna give him the rabbit for  his lunch. I will be chopping it up anyway so will give it a good hammering first. Thank you  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:55:10 PM »
Its actually rabbit fillets (I love the butcher - he is my friends dad and he has offered to give me bits without any little bones in so I dont have to worry) He hasnt had any dry since breakfast so was gonna give him the rabbit for  his lunch. I will be chopping it up anyway so will give it a good hammering first. Thank you  :D

If there are no bones, it won't need tenderising, unless Loki is a very spoilt pooch  :005:

BTW - fresh/raw rabbit smells horrid  ph34r ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »
I dunno who is dafter me or Loki. He had a good lick then carried it out of his bowl onto the living room carpet  :o (I was washing the dishes). He had a good lick but couldnt work out how to eat it so I sat on the floor and picked off the bits of meat (there was a bit with a leg on in the bag) and hand fed him (yes he is a spoilt pooch  :005: ) he then twigged on that he had to chew it himself to get the meat and ate most of it himself (he left a couple off grisly bits  ::) ) I didnt notice any smell but if he is happy then I dont care. Right off to wash the carpet now  >:(

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »
He had a good lick but couldnt work out how to eat it
  :005: Fern was just as puzzled as Loki with her first chicken wing last year. She kept sniffing and licking then looking up at me quizzically as if to say what is this stuff? I did a similar thing to you. Now she practically snatches them out of my hands and they are crunched up and gone within about 60 seconds  ::).
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories