Author Topic: obsessed with food  (Read 3427 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
obsessed with food
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »
Georgie has always been very food orientated  :D ...but lately she has become absolutely obsessive  ::)  I know some cockers can be greedy,  but Georgie seems to be looking for it constantly.

If I'm sitting on the sofa, I only have to move my leg and she darts to the kitchen thinking I'm going there for food.  She is constantly scouring the floor in the kitchen and on the sofa's if we've been eating something.  She is jumping up at me whenever I come in from the kitchen in case I have food  ::)  Also when we walk with our friends cocker Lucy ...she hurls herself at the door when they arrive as they know Joy gives her a treat when she goes outside.  She also snatches treats on our walk and nearly takes your fingers off  :o  On Friday Joy and I decided to stop giving her the treat just outside the door to try and break the habit and to give her a treat after the other two so that she has to wait and not gulp it down first and then have time to pinch the others.   She has definately got worse and I'm sure its more that normal cocker greediness  :005: ..has anyone got any suggestions on anything I could try that might help ...or do you think she could be lacking in something? ...other than food  :005:  (She is a little overweight so its not lack of food  :D)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Bailey_Bonce

• Site Member
  • "Innocent until proven guilty"
Re: obsessed with food
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:40:54 PM »
Our Bailey is EXACTLY the same, he goes about the floor like a hoover, gets hyperactive when any one of us so much as puts a toe into the kitchen and sits in front of you when you come back into the sitting room expecting to be fed. When we are preparig food he is constantly under your feet hoping that some food may fall his way, its a joke TBH. I didnt want to end up with a begging dog, but now it seems I have one !!
Bailey !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

Offline Macy and Tia

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:05:36 PM »
My dog Macy is the same too! She sits under me while we eat dinner just incase i drop any food as she knows im more clumsy than my boyfriend! She prefers human food to her dog food! She eats that as a last resort. If i rustle paper or anything she's up like a shot, expecting food. Lately she even drools while she begs for food! Im sure she even dreams about it too!
Macy and Tia xx

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
Billy is the same, although if Georgie isn't usually so obsessed i'd get it checked out just to be safe  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:19:43 PM »
I agree with Jan, it's probably worth getting her checked out  ;)

The other thing I wondered is if it is possible that she is successfully begging from someone else? Does anyone else spend time with her when you aren't there, Sue?  Dogs tend to "give up" begging and lurking under the table if it doesn't pay off, but if they get something once or twice - then they hang around  every time "just in case"  ::) ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline benji

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
Ours is exactly the same...he can be asleep in the front room, we only have to move a leg on the sofa and he's up thinking that we might be off to the kitchen!
If we give him a pig's ear, he'll eat that and then spend the next 30 mins or so sniffing in that area to ensure he's not left any tiny morsels.
And dinner is scoffed within about 1 minute!

I'm no expert by any means, but Benji's had roundworm which he's been 'expelling' over the last day or so...someone told me this could be the reason for always being after food (that and eating No 2's yuk).  Having said that, to some extent, it's just a doggy thing!

As Benji's still a pupy we have certinly found his greediness helps with training lol.

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »
Bailey had a sudden increase in food-obsession when he was a puppy and he also had whipworm...but then he was not gaining weight properly either.  Once he was healthy, he still is into food, but not too crazy.
Bailey and Mom

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 08:01:41 AM »
Disney is dreadful too - walks with him consists of him crawling along the ground commando style trying to find food  ::) He doesn't just limit it to food though - any sort of food packaging is fair game to him too........sweetie wrappers, crisp wrappers, paper bags, cellophane wrapping, plastic forks used to eat takeaways, you name it and he has swallowed it.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline BabyBear

• Site Member
  • Who's a pretty girl
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »
Skye is not food obsessed at all.  In fact we have trouble getting her to eat her meals twice a day.

And as for treats well she never wants them.  We did ask our Vet if this was normal and he just laughed ad said we were very lucky.
Al, Cath, And not forgetting Skye xxx ;)

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »
Jessie is food obsessed too unless we have the chuckitt and tennis balls with us....she will eat anything (well except celery  ph34r)

We feed burns and only natural additions like veggies. Treats are burns or JWB too!

I think its a cocker thing as OH mums cocker Poppy who is 12 is exactly the same :005:

Janey

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »
Domino has never been particularly interested in his food; that is until I started feeding them raw meat & chicken wings! Now he stands dribbling with Spike at mealtimes & gobbles his food with alacrity!!

The labs have always fallen on their food like starving refugees!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »

The other thing I wondered is if it is possible that she is successfully begging from someone else? Does anyone else spend time with her when you aren't there, Sue?  Dogs tend to "give up" begging and lurking under the table if it doesn't pay off, but if they get something once or twice - then they hang around  every time "just in case"  ::) ::)

Funny you should say that Rachel ... as dads been unwell he's been with me for quite a while now and he was prone to giving them bits when I was at work on a morning  ::) ...I decided to leave him a doggy treat to give them instead of toast/cake etc  :005: ...so thinking back that could have triggered the obsession as she didnt used to be as bad.  Also dad does quite a bit of baking in the kitchen when he is well enough and she waits for him to come out to go in an hoover the floor ..so you could be right  ;)

My main problem is on walks with my friend and her cocker ..they only have raw veg treats but Georgie nearly takes your fingers off  >:( ...if its just me and Daisy she is fine ..guess its just the extra mouth around that makes her more competative  :005:

...thanks everyone...seems Georgie is not the only one suffering from food obsession  :D
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Yellowboat

• Site Member
  • Honey & Holly as pups
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 06:55:25 PM »
I was just wondering how often Georgie was wormed as this can usually be the main cause of being greedy. In saying that I always make Honey and Holly wait for a treat I sit the treat on my knee and Honey looks at me and Holly looks at the treat and the occasional look at me to see if I have given the signal to take it. I do limit what they are given but I think some dogs are just like that, it is not necessarily the breed. We had one Doberman who was terribly greedy and another who was not at all keen on food which has its drawbacks when you are using treats to train. I think you will just have to be strong and not give in! not easy I know.

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 09:44:40 PM »
 :luv: Bailey boy is a food addict too >:D soon as he hears the fridge door open he is there ph34r he also lays next to your feet when preparing food hoping you will drop some >:D Ebony loves her food but doesn't beg she waits to be called :luv: bless her
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »
Billy drools like mad !!! Sometimes if he is watching me eat something tasty I hear "drip, drip" & there is drool dripping from his mouth . With Billy it's food, food, food  :005: