Author Topic: Converted to Burns  (Read 7811 times)

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Re: Converted to Burns
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »
Another convert!

Dave has only been on it a little while and I'm shocked at the difference (he was Hills and Nature Diet before). I got a free bag of mini-bites at puppy class and as I'd heard such good stuff from you lot, introduced it slowly... He smells much nicer, his coat wasn't bad before but is even shinier now, his ears have stopped producing excess wax and the other end is loads less frequent and much easier to clear up  ;) His eyes have always been a bit leaky, so will monitor those and see if they improve too. He also is eating much more enthusiastically and quickly and has slimmed down a little which he needed to do... Burns has my vote!

Hannah x

Fern has been on Burns for about a month - she has just Burns in the morning and Burns with a bit of naturediet in the evening, but she smells now whereas she didn't before.  Its not smelly bum just smelly dog - she gets a lot of beef and garlic balls as I use these for recall, but she doesn't smell of garlic, just a bit of a fishy/doggy smell - any suggestions?
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 05:50:10 PM »
Hmmmmm I'm not overly convinced about Nature Diet... I'm fairly sure that was the culprit on the times Dave had a dodgy tummy. May be try her on just Burns for a bit and see what happens and try a different treat for a bit for research??? Maybe just some plain bits of boiled chicken or something if she'll go for it? Then if she's still smelly, you know it's the Burns!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline MaryAnne

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 09:18:10 PM »
Hi All,
I know you have to introduce a new food slowly and gradually  but  how early should you start ? Lola is only 8 weeks old but I am keen to change her on to Burns puppy food.
MA

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »
I would wait another week, at least, just to give her chance to settle in then gradually decrease the amount of food she on now and increase the Burns - should take you around a week to introduce a new food!!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline MaryAnne

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 03:20:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice Lucy.My breeder has  Lola on " Chudley" puppy food which I must  admit I never heard of and as I said earlier I am planning to convert her to Burns eventually  .But if I knew this "Chudley" grub was good I may reconsider...so many choices..help please.
MA

Cazzie

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
Hi All,
I know you have to introduce a new food slowly and gradually  but  how early should you start ? Lola is only 8 weeks old but I am keen to change her on to Burns puppy food.
MA

I would start introducing it now  ;) Dogs can all be different when changing to a new food for example, Goose took months to settle on Burns, Daisy, Sweepie and Belle were changed on to it overnight  ;) I would do it gradually over a fortnight  ;)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2007, 07:14:01 PM »
We are nearly there with converting to Burns - Suki is still not quite sure if she likes it and every meal she looks at me as if to say "where is my usual stuff?"  Buffy and Josie will both eat anything and seem to love it.  I don't think Josie is drinking as much as she used to (I was quite worried at the amount she drank before!) and although it is too soon to tell if they are any less active, I am hoping it will help in lots of different ways.
Will keep you posted.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 09:04:03 PM »
Teal has been on Burns almost since I picked her up from her breeder.  I'd got my arthritic working type springer on it as there are no nasty additives, so it was a natural progression to put puppy on it too.  It took us about a week to change from her original diet to Burns Mini Bites.  Another breeder told me that she needed to put more weight on, but then after seeing puppies at a local show looking like fluffy barrels, it convinced me that it is better for a pup to grow steadily, rather than sfattening them up and risk them putting any strain on their growing bones .

She looks really well on it and enjoys all flavours, as does the springer. 

On a personal choice, I can't stand the pong of the Fishy one  :005: - yuk, pass a peg please!

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »
It's been fantastic reading all about puppies trying with Burns.  ;)   Daisy is really happy on it, but I did want to say that, contrary to what some have said, she doesn't have a "smell" with it at all.  Perhaps it's what you are mixing with the Burns?    :shades:

Some days she just has Burns (and treats when training), but other days I add a small amount - dessert spoon perhaps ? - of cooked chicken breast, or tuna, or scrambled egg, or pasta - by way of a change,  with the Burns.   She loves this!   :luv:

But she's never had a "smell", fishy or otherwise.  I find the tuna does loosen her tummy a bit, so we are careful with that, but even so, no "smell".  Have never used Nature Diet, so can't offer opinion as to whether that's doing it or not.

I am so pleased I switched her to Burns, and the company itself has such a good customer service that it makes it a pleasure to deal with them.

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »
Mollie and Scoobie have been on Burns fully for about 3 days now and they are loving it!
I ordered it on the online store and it came 2 days later which is fantastic!

Thank you so much for all of the advice on here it has helped me so much and i am now really happy with what i am feeding them.
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 10:37:20 PM »
I've been following this thread as I want to change my two onto a different diet for a while now. Theo (cocker) is 16 months and Apollo (springer) is 7 years. I've just found a local supplier and will start to introduce it from tomorrow. I hope they take to it.
From the Darby family

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »
Also, some people have experienced their dogs not doing well on Burns ie, not gaining weight, I have 2 dogs that are prone to not gaining weight and got the Burns High Energy Lamb which has put the weight on them and are looking terrific

Cazzie I had Charlie weighed the other day and while I dont want him to put on weight I dont want him to loose any more.  he has went from 17.6kg to 15.5kg in 3 months. when you say your 2 put on wieght with the hign energy lamb, do you think that would maintain his weight as the last thing he needs is to be heavier as his back legs wouldnt cope carrying more wieght.  or should I add something like boiled chicken to his diet rather than switch from chicken and brown rice to the high energy stuff.

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline JHMB

• Site Member
  • Bailey & Tia
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »
I've now converted Bailey to Burns, and he loves it - this may seem a daft question  :embarassed:, but does it lose it's taste the longer the bag is open?? :huh:  I've transferred it into a container, but I don't want to buy too big a bag if it does!!

On a similar subject - what sort of treats can anyone recommend??  I'm due to start puppy training classes in just over 1wk but Bailey's not really interested in the puppy marrowbone ones I got.

Julie, Bailey, Tia, & Pebbles

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 09:46:54 PM »
It's been fantastic reading all about puppies trying with Burns.  ;)   Daisy is really happy on it, but I did want to say that, contrary to what some have said, she doesn't have a "smell" with it at all.  Perhaps it's what you are mixing with the Burns?    :shades:

Some days she just has Burns (and treats when training), but other days I add a small amount - dessert spoon perhaps ? - of cooked chicken breast, or tuna, or scrambled egg, or pasta - by way of a change,  with the Burns.   She loves this!   :luv:

But she's never had a "smell", fishy or otherwise.  I find the tuna does loosen her tummy a bit, so we are careful with that, but even so, no "smell".  Have never used Nature Diet, so can't offer opinion as to whether that's doing it or not.

I am so pleased I switched her to Burns, and the company itself has such a good customer service that it makes it a pleasure to deal with them.
  You got the wrong end of the proverbial stick there.  :005: It's not the dog that smells fishy - it's the food itself, everytime I take the lid off the feed bin - what a pong!  Pleased Daisy has settled with the Burns, my two love it.

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »

You got the wrong end of the proverbial stick there.  :005: It's not the dog that smells fishy - it's the food itself, everytime I take the lid off the feed bin - what a pong!  Pleased Daisy has settled with the Burns, my two love it.

In my earlier post I mentioned my Fern has been a bit pongy so Potter would have been referring to that - Fern is on Burns and Naturediet although we are leaving out Naturediet for a while to see if that helps, so far so good!  ;)
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x