Author Topic: Dog Food for Older Dogs / any supplements required?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
Dog Food for Older Dogs / any supplements required?
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:36:32 PM »
We had to put Woofie on a diet after his operation a year ago - the Vet said it was a good time for him to go on to Senior Food so we swapped to PAH Senior complete food. (He has lost a couple of kilos with another couple to go!)

After looking at a link to a dog food supplier another member has posted today (I would be able to get Woofies and Maddies food delivered together) I would like to change him to a better brand ie Burns, JWB or something similar.

Woofie will be 9 in a couple of months and I want to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs for his joints etc - could anyone recommend a senior food of a good brand and whether I should be giving him any supplements?

Thanks

Lisa x

ETA - think I should have posted this in Feeding - sorry!! - (Thanks for moving it!)

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Dog Food for Older Dogs / any supplements required?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:33:52 PM »
What do you feed Maddie? If you've got her on a brand you're happy with you could try the senior version of that for Woofie?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »
What do you feed Maddie? If you've got her on a brand you're happy with you could try the senior version of that for Woofie?

Thanks for replying Nicola.

Maddie is on NatureDiet because she will only eat wet food.  I would prefer to carry on feeding Woofie the dry complete because I think its better for him.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »
Ah right ok... not that helpful then  ph34r  Personally I'd go for Arden Grange as it's the best dry food I've found although I haven't used the senior variety. You could try a small 2kg bag of it to start with to see how he gets on and if it doesn't suit maybe try something else. If he hasn't got any issues with his joints then you don't 'need' to supplement his food but you could add some cod liver oil.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
Ah right ok... not that helpful then  ph34r  Personally I'd go for Arden Grange as it's the best dry food I've found although I haven't used the senior variety. You could try a small 2kg bag of it to start with to see how he gets on and if it doesn't suit maybe try something else. If he hasn't got any issues with his joints then you don't 'need' to supplement his food but you could add some cod liver oil.

Thanks.  :D

He has no problems, runs around like a two year old - will wait till they both run out of food and will order lots of NatureDiet because its such a good price and try him on some Arden Grange.