Author Topic: what food is bad for dogs  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: what food is bad for dogs
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »
whooo :o thank you No more grape then i will stop eating them as well
You will be fine - they are not toxic to us  ;)
No that's not what i ment  :005: what i mean is if he sees me eating them he will wonder why he can no longer have one as well

You are joking aren't you?  :shades:  :huh:

probably not? it is that 'look' they give you isn't it :police: makes ya feel soooo guilty :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »
No that's not what i ment  :005: what i mean is if he sees me eating them he will wonder why he can no longer have one as well

probably not? it is that 'look' they give you isn't it :police: makes ya feel soooo guilty :005:

Nope! :o

Mean mummy here too, they have their food and I have mine, and whilst I have none of their food they very rarely share any of mine.

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 09:31:23 PM »

Nope! :o

Mean mummy here too, they have their food and I have mine, and whilst I have none of their food they very rarely share any of mine.

I do like that comment, i definately wouldnt either go begging around their bowls hopingthey would share cause i know they wont!!! but i dont fancy theirs as much as they fancy mine! lol.

BUT im a sucker to puppy eyes! lol
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »
A while back one of the cocker clubs published a list of things which are toxic to dogs and it reads as follows:-

chocolate, coffee & tea (may cause coma, seizures, death ph34r. I know many a dog that likes a brew as well!)
Grapes, raisins, currants, plums, sultanas, prunes (kidney damage - mental note to self no more hot cross buns for Hovis & Millie  :o)
Mushrooms (coma - who'd have thought that, unless of course they mean 'magic' mushrooms :005:)

Plants and bulbs of the following can cause various symptoms from mild diawotsit to vomiting, seizures & organ damage:- Ivy, daffodils, tulips, gladioli, bluebells, crocus.

Acorns are apparently fatal.

Cant remember which club it was who published this to name them as I just cut it out and stuck it on my noticeboard which is where the list has been ever since!

So quite a list with some things on there I wouldnt have thought of.

Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »

Acorns are apparently fatal.

my friends cocker ate loads of acorns as a pup and nothing happened to her...i freaked out when he told me she'd eaten them but nothing happened...not saying they are safe, just saying...
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 11:16:42 PM »
We had some pups in Rescue who ate some Acorns and it gave them very bad upset tums, but luckily it wasn't fatal. It all starts to make you a bit paranoid really.  :-\
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »
Now i'm totally paranoid and will be following marty around making sure he doesnt eat any of them!

didnt know about the tea, i know caffeine and all that but marty occasionally has a little bit of tea didnt realise it was that bad.

as for the daffodils theres loads in bloom at the moment around the area and he may have eaten one the other day ( he swipes things while we're walking sometimes tho it may have been a leaf)

x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 11:25:45 PM »
Now i'm totally paranoid and will be following marty around making sure he doesnt eat any of them!

didnt know about the tea, i know caffeine and all that but marty occasionally has a little bit of tea didnt realise it was that bad.

as for the daffodils theres loads in bloom at the moment around the area and he may have eaten one the other day ( he swipes things while we're walking sometimes tho it may have been a leaf)

x

It's the bulb and not the flower that is poisonous, so unless he digs them up and eats them you're safe.  ;)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 02:17:52 PM »
A while back one of the cocker clubs published a list of things which are toxic to dogs and it reads as follows:-

chocolate, coffee & tea (may cause coma, seizures, death ph34r. I know many a dog that likes a brew as well!)
Grapes, raisins, currants, plums, sultanas, prunes (kidney damage - mental note to self no more hot cross buns for Hovis & Millie  :o)

Gosh!! didn't know about tea and coffee - my cockers don't get this they only get their doggy food but I used to feed my previous dog a cup of brew every day and he loved it - he lived until he was 19 so I guess he was made of tough stuff  :005:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »

x

It's the bulb and not the flower that is poisonous, so unless he digs them up and eats them you're safe.  ;)

Never safe when Martys about, so far so good on the digging front but i wouldnt put anything past him!
x

Offline muckypups

• Lifes easy when your a Dog
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »
What about apples and bananas???  :D Buddy keeps nicking the kids fruit

AKA Buddy

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 08:00:44 PM »

They are fine - it is just grapes  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 08:12:51 PM »

They are fine - it is just grapes  ;)

Although apple pips contain cyanide, but I imagine they'd have to eat a large quantity to have an effect.

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 11:06:30 PM »
From what i've seen of the apples buddy eats, theyre cut into nice little chunks with not a pip in sight so  he'll be fine with them

Marty gets bits of apple every now and then, he doesnt like banannas though but the skins are very fascinating to him
x

Offline sassie

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »
I never thought that dogs liked fruit, until my mum got a schnauzer who was obsessive about the windfalls from her greengage tree, amazingly he never got stung and although he occasionally was a bit loose ph34r he remained very healthy.  Having said that my mum used to clear the garden of plums before letting him out.  He also picked the strawberries from her strawberry patch, and blackberries whilst out in the park  ::)

A few years later she got a rescue schnauzer who hated plums and greengages, but used to bring it in the house for the other one :005: