Author Topic: Gravy Bone  (Read 7813 times)

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
Re: Gravy Bone
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 03:12:46 PM »
Instead of treart such as these, I tend to ask our local butcher for any pig/ox/lamb/cow/bull hearts.( they don't tend to charge for them either!)
You can then dice them up into small cubes and pan fry them off with a little veg stock. let them cool down and hey presto, fresh healthy night time munchies for your loved ones. They freeze well too.
Bayliss is a big fan of carrots too?? :005:
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
There's nothing wrong with the occasional gravy bone as part of a balanced diet - most dogs do enjoy them just as we enjoy the odd treat that may not be 100% ethically sound or good for us ;) Moderation is the key though - too many gravy bones will pile on the pounds (haven't noticed any other problems like teeth staining though).
Jane

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »
I've never noticed any teeth staining. Gari used to get 1 broken into 3 pieces during a walk, but he would always hope the man with the collies would be around - as he gave him full ones! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 07:11:35 PM »
They are little biscuits that you can buy in most petshops, usually in a box, a bag or loose. :D

They're very tasty apparently, but usually gone in one bite! :005:
I haven't tried lately, admittedly, but is Rufus the only cocker who turns his nose up at gravybones?

Oh Rufus thats my boy,  Vivian I do chuckle at this boy of yours he is adorable, won't eat normal bones, does not like gravy bones, my 2 go mad for either of these treats. He is a star. :luv: :luv: :luv:

I think Pedigree make gravy bones and my 2 love them, they have to have 2 each at bedtime. PAH have them in their doggy pick n mix. Never noticed any teeth staining.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline mcphee

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »
They are little biscuits that you can buy in most petshops, usually in a box, a bag or loose. :D

They're very tasty apparently, but usually gone in one bite! :005:
I haven't tried lately, admittedly, but is Rufus the only cocker who turns his nose up at gravybones?

Oh Rufus thats my boy,  Vivian I do chuckle at this boy of yours he is adorable, won't eat normal bones, does not like gravy bones, my 2 go mad for either of these treats. He is a star. :luv: :luv: :luv:

I think Pedigree make gravy bones and my 2 love them, they have to have 2 each at bedtime. PAH have them in their doggy pick n mix. Never noticed any teeth staining.
Well Sharon, I noticed sir had a very bad attack of the wind the other day, and while I was in Wilkinsons, I saw they had mixed bone biscuits, including the black ones, which I think are charcoal. Ha I thought, no more smelly evenings. Well, he will eat them, but not when first offered. If I throw one, apparently it tastes different. The other coloured ones are hidden in his marmalade pot, or under a cushion. I will have to make sure he doesn't get porky while he is on restricted exercise, what with the extra little something to help the medicine go down! I think I might be giving too many as I see others break one in three, or only give 2 at night.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
If I throw one, apparently it tastes different.
They also taste really good if you throw them outside and crush them with a dirty shoe. ;)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 09:40:02 PM »
They also taste really good if you throw them outside and crush them with a dirty shoe. ;)

That really made me laugh  :005: :005:
I take it the young Dugster will eat anything then :rofl1:
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline gabbycocker

• Donator
  • Gorgeous Gabby
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 09:43:56 PM »
Gabby loves her Gravy bones.  :luv: :luv:

She too, has two at night as her bedtime treat. She isn't very happy tonight though because she is on a restricted diet - rice and fish because of an upset tummy. She keeps looking at me with those oh so sad eyes as if to say - "come on Mum don't you think you have forgotten something". I feel sooooo guilty.
Kerry & Gabby xxxxxx

"My little dog---a heartbeat at my feet." - Edith Wharton

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »

Oh yes! He takes after Gari in that way. Once Gari was scraping away at a car tyre trying to get a squashed manky chip that had been run over about 100 times - despite a pile of fresh chips lying on the kerb beside it. ::) :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »
My lot have gravy bones for their bed time treat to. If I forget I get 5 sets of eyes starring at me pleading for their gravy bones. I don't particularly like pedigree products and everything else they get is much better quality, but they adore gravy bones and I can't deprive them of that one naughty treat a day.  :shades:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »
I probably should have said in my post earlier about Pedigree that I do buy gravy bones, my lot all love them, they get a couple of the chicken ones each every day. It is the only Pedigree product I buy and while I don't like the company there are plenty of companies out there I don't like but I'd be a hypocrite if I said I never buy or use their products!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »
Willow's breeder told me she had one every night before bed, I didn't have any as I've never given them, so after about 5 days went out and bought some, gave her one and it went straight through her, so I've stopped, rear end back to normal now... :005:  I wouldn't normally give them until around 4 months anyway, but as the breeder told me she had already had them, thought it would be ok.....NOT!

Offline mcphee

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 07:16:50 AM »

Oh yes! He takes after Gari in that way. Once Gari was scraping away at a car tyre trying to get a squashed manky chip that had been run over about 100 times - despite a pile of fresh chips lying on the kerb beside it. ::) :lol2:
If only Rufus would eat a chip. My friend and I were siting on the beach at Eastbourne having taken DS to see relatives, with Fish and chips. Rufus was about 10 months. She offered him a chip. He looked at her and me in disgust. He  eats cod or haddock in batter, thank you very much. Oh for a food obsessed scavenger!

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 07:28:31 AM »
I must just have a freak fussy cocker!!
Chewitt used to eat anything, and I mean anything!! Smartie is a fussy one, will only eat chip shop chips if we are walking up the hill to come home, not anytime else. She doesn't like Bonio, and isn't too fussed on a gravy bone either!! The only treat she really eats is a pigs ear!! Occasionally she'll eat sizzlers or something like that, but not much else!!
Fussy girl!  Oh and she'll only eat a hooman bicuit if it's dunked in tea!! ::)

Offline mcphee

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 07:54:22 AM »
I must just have a freak fussy cocker!!
Chewitt used to eat anything, and I mean anything!! Smartie is a fussy one, will only eat chip shop chips if we are walking up the hill to come home, not anytime else. She doesn't like Bonio, and isn't too fussed on a gravy bone either!! The only treat she really eats is a pigs ear!! Occasionally she'll eat sizzlers or something like that, but not much else!!
Fussy girl!  Oh and she'll only eat a hooman bicuit if it's dunked in tea!! ::)
Oh smartiedog. Thank dog I am not alone. Pigs ears get buried, but dunked digestives, marmite toast and sponge cake, as well as any  roast meat all go down a treat.