Author Topic: Strange question - James Beloved  (Read 702 times)

Offline weenieangel

Strange question - James Beloved
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »
Hi hope i can make sense of this  - as you can ......

When we rescued Charley he was on JWB Light and due to hime being 9kg we were told by the kennels to give him 2 feeds a day they gave us some in a carrier bag to take home which would last 4 days - so we spilt this into 8 portions and fed as such, then purchased a big sack of same food - he gained to 13kg after about 4/5 weeks of having him, so reduced by 40% but still in two feeds a day.

We also re-wormed him and his intake reduced significantly - obviously had worms hence his previous intake and eating in in 5 secs flat !

He has started over last week or no not eat up and will " graze " on his breakfast, so decided to re-evaluate what he should be fed in gms daily.

JWB website says for his age/ type and weight - On ADULT food 210gms daily but on the LIGHT just 170/190 gms daily ? either way i think we have been overfeeding !!!!! we havent weighed just gone by the portions he was originally given upon advice and then reduced when he gained weight, but i imagine its in the region of 300gms split into 2 feeds - this is reduced if he has treats ( tuna bread ) for training.

I beleive that he should be on the Adult formula not the Senior Light ? not sure why they were feeding that but think i should change to the Adult one when our sack runs out - so what would you suggest in gms to feed until we change over ? i thought go inbetween and look to do about 200gms a day - what do you think ?

And does anyone recommend staying on light ? or go for the Adult which seems to be ideal for him / his age ?

Many Thanks

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Strange question - James Beloved
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »
The JWB senior/light is for dogs with a weight problem (overweight though, not underweight  :-\ ), or generally over 7 years, it is lower protein as older dogs don't have as high energy levels and obviously overweight dogs don't need as much protein.  I would change him over to the normal adult variety but do it gradually not a straight swap, same as if you were changing brands.  I would initially feed the amount stated on the pack but then be guided by the dog, if he is getting too fat cut down, too thin feed a bit more.  I feed my dogs once a day but I know a lot of people feed twice so either isn't a problem, maybe make the breakfast smaller and tea bigger if he is grazing on breakfast.  I would put his food down and take up any uneaten food after 10 minutes then feed normal amount for next meal.   :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »
What they state on the pack is just a guide , i think it depends on each individual dog and the amount of exercise etc they do. Im naughty and i dont weigh out my dogs food , i feed them by eye. If they looked like they needed a bit more or less i would do just that. I also dont leave the food down mine both get a smaller breakfast and a bigger tea and anything not eaten would be taken up after 10 mins or so ( but that has never happened yet  :005: )

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
Hattie is nearly 2 yrs old and on JWB adult, she get 70g in the morning and 130g at tea, she does have gravy bones and liverbread during the day.  If i feel she has had to many treats during the day i then reduce her main meals.  Last time at the vets she weighed 11.4kg.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline weenieangel

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:59:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice - we are purchasing a sack of adult lamb and rice kibble and will swop him over gradually from the Light version  :D i guess we maybe get a more hyper version of Charley in the next few weeks  :005: