Author Topic: What do you feed and why?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline cockerlover1

What do you feed and why?
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »
Hi

Can you tell me what you feed your dogs and why do you go for that brand? Ive got an essay to write up in a few weeks about feeding different foods.

Thank you

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: What do you feed and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
My 3 are now fed full BARF (& have been for over 15 months now) from this company http://www.nurturingbynature.co.uk/
From advice on here & from my vet, I switched to this type of feeding due to Purdey having multiple allergies & dry eye. Her health has noticeably improved & is the best health I've (& my vet) ever known her & she's now 7.
Prior to this they were on Burns fish & brown rice as that was the only one available that suited Purdeys intolerance's & I also used to cook food/meals for them.
All 3 are fed the same - for convenience & because it suits them all perfectly  ;) ...... my vet bills are confirmation enough for me  ;)   :003:

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »
Morgan's mainly kibble fed because we like the ease of using and storing it. He has Burns Chicken and Rice because it's one of the good brands and it suits him, he keeps a good weight on it and has nice firm poos. He also has raw chicken wings 2-3 times a week to help keep his teeth clean and to help ensure he has no anal gland problems, fingers crossed so far so good  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 06:53:53 AM »
my four are fed either wainwrights lamb and rice kibble or arden grange lanb and rice kibble soaked and mixed with a little tinned meat
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »
Mine both have Bosch Bio Organic kibble for breakfast and I cook for their evening meal (selection of grains/veg/chicken/fish all organic)  We were 'half barfing' but our vets warnings about imported meats was enough for us to try the cooked route again  :dunno:.  all well so far... :shades:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »
Mine are all raw fed. I follow a diet by Juliette de Bairacli Levy and have done for over 8 yrs now. I source all my own meat. I turned to raw after having  a dog to kidney failure  firstly used the herbal part of the book to help her and blood tests that the vet requested had shown a massive improvement in the blood results to what is essentially an progressive and incurable disease. It followed to me that if the herbs worked then so would the raw diet so I set about researching it further, got my mine set right for the change and changed to it immediately as I brought my new 8 week old pup home. She took to it straight away and I've never looked back nor would I ever feed anything but raw ever again.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »
Mine are all fed Royal Canin complete, different versions of it, plus have a few meals per week of Forthglade RAW and chicken wings, I personally found Burns made them lose too much weight and AG/Autarky made them too fat, RC so far seems pretty good and they've been on it for quite a few years now without getting fed up of it.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
Just a cheaper brand in CSJ for all of mine but I add vegetables and fish everyday.  They also enjoy chicken wings but these are given as a treat in the afternoon.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »
My two are on Hill's, with minced raw meat, chicken necks and lamb's heart added.  They have always done well on Hill's.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Evadee

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »
Tia was on James Wellbeloved as that is what the breeder recommended. I stuck with it as it seemed like a good food and is produced in my county (I try to support local business whenever possible). She had just moved on to the junior (she's 6.5 months) but now I am in the process of changing her over to Barking Heads (puppy).  She has always had quite loose stools on JWB so I am seeing if I can find another good quality kibble which suits her better and have heard good things about Barking Heads.

Offline grracee

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 08:42:17 AM »
Charlie is on Royal Canin, I've had him on this from about 3 months old. Previous to this he was on ProPlan Puppy which I found made him go to the toilet more frequently and they weren't always solid. Since being on Royal Canin his coat has improved alot and he only goes to the toilet once, maybe twice a day and they are solid. Charlie seems to like it alot , whereas with the ProPlan he got fed up of it and wasn't that interested in it after a while.  :blink:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »
Coco is on a raw diet - she has raw meat, fish, veg, eggs etc.  When I first got her, I fed her a mix of Naturediet and kibble (Burns or Arden Grange) as I wanted a natural and additive free diet for her.  After reading numerous threads on here it just seemed the most natural thing to feed raw.  Also after hearing stories about anal gland problems I wanted to avoid that so started her with the odd chicken wing.  :o :o

I changed to a completely raw diet when she was about a year old and the number of tummy upsets and other bugs reduced dramatically so I know it is the right way for her. She does far fewer poos and they are usually firm  ph34r but if I thought it would calm her down, I was wrong  >:( :005:  I would never go back now though  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »
Another raw feeder here. I mainly feed Natural Instinct, a complete raw food made from UK sourced human grade ingredients. It contains a balanced mix of raw meat, ground bone, vegetables and herbs and means I don't have to put too much effort into raw feeding. I also feed chicken wings about once a week and sometimes add chopped raw heart to the NI and feed raw fish sometimes.

My William (litter brother to lindseyp's Purdey) has a sensitive digestion and dry eye. He used to be prone to lip fold infections, dry skin with occasional patches of wet eczema, ear infections and anal gland problems. Since switching to raw his health is much, much better. The only thing it hasn't helped significantly is his anal glands but my vet tells me that William's anal glands are in the wrong place :005: and simply can't empty naturally.

Offline Jackie

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
I have all my three, including pup Toby, on Burns.
Burns has a good reputation, is natural, dogs seem happy on it, and unlike some other brands I have had the older two on in the past, does not cause them to do messy toilets.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:16:29 AM »
Arden Grange Lamb & Rice for breakfast (though they're also good on CSJ Lamb & Rice).  Barf for tea (Natures Instinct).  Lexi is on Barf only as she has a tendency to be itchy and ear problems - being on barf has helped on both counts (though there are times when she is still itchy)
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love