Author Topic: Sardines for dogs?  (Read 6494 times)

Offline IonaD

Sardines for dogs?
« on: November 04, 2020, 01:32:25 PM »
Hi All,

Hope everyone is keeping well?

I have a question on feeding the doggo raw sardines and I was hoping to find out what others might do.

So on a normal day Bella is eating cooked fish, potatoes and veg. I was hoping to add in some raw sardines as a bit of a treat and because I know they can help with skin, bones, fur etc.

I went to the fishmongers today and got two whole sardines. Sardines in a tin are normally tiny but these ones were monsters of about 25-30cm. I have cut them up into 4 pieces and popped them in the freezer to get rid of any parasites...but I’m now questioning giving them to the dog.

Will the bones be too big? Should I have taken the back bone out? Can she eat the head?

When I’ve done some googling it says that dogs can eat the whole lot but I feel like this is referring to the smaller sardines which would have smaller and softer bones.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me and let me know what they do?

Or maybe give me ideas on how I can supplement her meals with other foods/oils to keep her bones etc healthy?

As always...any help or ideas are welcome.

Thank you all in advance!!

Iona & Bella
x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Sardines for dogs?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »
Hmmmmmmm? I think I‘d be a bit wary as well, not sure how hard/sharp the bones might be on a bigger fish, Humphrey has frozen sprats which he has no problems with but they‘re much smaller. Do you have a food processor or a mincer that you could maybe grind them up with?

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 07:22:19 AM »
I do indeed have a food processor...Not sure how I feel about sardine pulp although I’m sure Bella will love it!!

I may just bin them and find smaller whole fish.

Does Humphrey have any other supplements with his food that you can recommend?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »
I do give him a powder that I buy here (Germany) at the raw food shop although I‘m unsure if he really needs it, his food is pretty balanced but I just give him a spoonful a couple of times a week to be on the safe side. He‘s having a bit of a problems with bones occasionally though, he had a lamb’s rib this week and it made him sick, so I‘m now thinking I might ditch them and start giving him either ground bones or a supplement.
A teaspoon of salmon or other fish oil is also could for skin hair etc, maybe that would be an alternative?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »
Yes, they are fine to give. The bones are soft when raw - I would chop them up to begin with and see how you go.

My dogs have both been fed raw and raw fish is fine - you can feed them whole if you dog likes them.

If you are worried, you could use tinned sardines or pilchards. I get the ones either in water or tomato sauce.
Julie and Watson

Offline Barry H

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 09:17:23 AM »
I'm sure you know what's best for pooches but personally I'd have no qualms in giving Jack fresh sardines (but I'd cut those monsters in half).  He can swallow a whole raw chicken wing at one go!  Dogs have teeth evolved to cope with just about any bone, but If you're worried about bones you can always take out the backbone.  I'm just wondering why you'd think you need to kill any parasites.   Presumably they'll be fresh and have been kept frozen by your fishmonger.

I give him tinned pilchards twice a week as a treat but as for supplements, look for fish oils high in Omega 3, 6 and 9.  There are plenty on the market.   Get capsules rather than liquid oil.  Less smelly!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »
Not sure about raw ones, but I give Dylan a tin every now and then, preferably the ones in water, but if  unavailable then I drain the ones in oil. He loves them. Have had no problems with the bones, they are quite gelatinous.

Don't Chuck your frozen sardines, they are very tasty for humans! LOL

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »
Another important thing to consider when giving raw fish is thiaminase content. I have given raw fish as a snack, but I would avoid it as part of the main diet due to the risk of thiamine deficiency caused by thiaminase in raw fish.

Just another thing to consider on top of the potential for bones, parasites and bacteria causing problems. And although raw bones are safer than heat-treated, they do still occasionally cause ham to the gastrointestinal tract of dogs.

That said, my cocker has chomped down a few raw mackerel heads and tails in her time. Don't know if it was safe or healthy, but she certainly enjoyed the crunchy snacks  :005:

Offline IonaD

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 09:48:56 AM »
Fab!! Thank you guys for all the tips. I’ll give her a chunk and see how we get on.

Barry - I read somewhere that freezing the fish for a week before feeding it would kill any parasites?  I’m a sucker for what the internet tells me!!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 01:29:12 PM »
Fab!! Thank you guys for all the tips. I’ll give her a chunk and see how we get on.

Barry - I read somewhere that freezing the fish for a week before feeding it would kill any parasites?  I’m a sucker for what the internet tells me!!

I‘ve read that too, apparently there can indeed be a problem with parasites. Glad you‘ve got your answer though, I can imagine Bella wiping her brow with relief now that COL’s given her the all clear, hope she enjoys her mega sardines!!!  :luv:

Offline Barry H

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »
You could well be right.   I'm assuming that fresh fish is frozen from being caught to being sold so more freezing would be a bit pointless.   Still, you could always ask your fishmonger.   On the other hand, I could be wrong!  I know that's hard to believe,  but it has been known...

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »
You could well be right.   I'm assuming that fresh fish is frozen from being caught to being sold so more freezing would be a bit pointless.   Still, you could always ask your fishmonger.   On the other hand, I could be wrong!  I know that's hard to believe,  but it has been known...

I thought the whole point of "fresh fish" was that it has not been frozen? At least that's how it works over here. If they sell it as fresh, it's not supposed to have been frozen. But I live by the coast, so could be the definition of "fresh" is different according to availability  :005: I have a friend who lives in the middle of the country and she described it as exotic when she heard we have access to fresh fish and shellfish every week  :lol2: Of course I think it sounds exotic when she had reindeer and moose for dinner so location is everything.

I heard that thing about parasites too, no clue if it's correct. But I heard you're supposed to freeze fish if you are going to use it for sushi.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 10:02:52 PM »
Surely not  :shades: :005:

Offline Barry H

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
Surely not  :shades: :005:
Yes, it's true.  Think it was back n 1976.  But I was still a young colt full of raging hormones...

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »
 :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: