Author Topic: Pheasants - How To Turn Them Into A Barf Meal  (Read 6011 times)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Pheasants - How To Turn Them Into A Barf Meal
« on: November 15, 2005, 07:07:25 PM »
OK - so a friend of ours who is very into hunting, fishing, shooting has just dropped off two pheasants that he shot today :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

Ignoring the morals of this as they are already dead and I really dont want to do mouth to mouth with them :blink:

Is it ok for me to give them to Daisy as BARF food??  Does anyone have ANY idea what the forgoodness sake I need to do to them to make them ok for her to eat, or should I just pull out the tail feathers for cat toys and sling them in the bin????

I'm not squeemish about dealing with them - just ignorant of what to do :lol:

Daisy needless to say is BESIDE herself with excitement about them as he let her sniff them as he brought them in.  She is just shaking with enthusiasm about them - kinda cute really :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 07:22:50 PM »
do you normally feed her raw food??
if not then I would not bother with plucking them but simply skin them feathers and all, and take of the breast meat and cook that as a nice casserole with apples and cider and cream and chestnuts for your dinner and give her any scraps for a treat. Mine don't eat BARF and so raw pheasant makes Bilbo sick, though the others get the scraps as we prepare dinner.
You could feed her the breast if you really don't want to eat it but its a waste :o
If I were feeding them whole breast to mine that don't eat BARF I would poach it in some water with carrots and then feed her it over a few days so its not too much at once :)

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Penel

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
......... but if you do feed BARF, then you can try letting her eat it with the feathers on - she will probably have a great time plucking out quite a few and may well eat it with feathers on.  If it looks as if she isn't going to eat it with feathers on, then you will have to pluck the bird, and offer it to her like that.
I think two of mine would eat it with the feathers on, Tilly would most definitely want it plucked please !!!  good luck !

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 07:14:15 PM »
......... but if you do feed BARF, then you can try letting her eat it with the feathers on - she will probably have a great time plucking out quite a few and may well eat it with feathers on.  If it looks as if she isn't going to eat it with feathers on, then you will have to pluck the bird, and offer it to her like that.
I think two of mine would eat it with the feathers on, Tilly would most definitely want it plucked please !!!  good luck !
[snapback]160771[/snapback]

Excellent - I was hoping you would say that :D  :D

My gut instinct is that it may take her a while to figure out what to do but when she does she is gonna have a whale of time eating it with the feathers on :lol:

Will try and get some pics :D

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 07:43:33 PM »
Eeeeuuuuggghhh!!!!  :wacko:  :wacko:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »
Eeeeuuuuggghhh!!!!  :wacko:  :wacko:
[snapback]160892[/snapback]

:blink:

My thoughts completey.  

Yuck !!

Thank Goodness I dn't have to eat it.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 07:19:01 PM »
Well.........breakfast has never been so exciting :lol:  :lol:

Daisy spent about 10 mins just barking at the piece of pheasant that she had been given :ph34r:   Then when she was brave enough to attack it she spent a further few mins just trotting round the garden with a very waggy tail and a chunk of pheasant hanging from her jaws :rolleyes:

She thoroughly enjoyed eating it and pulling the feathers out was a fine game :blink:

But the funniest part was when a few pidgeons decided to land in the garden, she never usually takes any notice of them but for some reason today she started barking at them - OH reckoned she was making sure they didnt knick her food, I reckon she was telling them 'look out I eat things like you' :lol:  :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 08:03:18 PM »
I assume you don't actually work her? Giving a dog that works to the gun gamebirds to eat is probably asking for trouble  :lol:

Glad she enjoyed it - watch out pidgeons :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 08:07:38 PM »
I assume you don't actually work her? Giving a dog that works to the gun gamebirds to eat is probably asking for trouble  :lol:

Glad she enjoyed it - watch out pidgeons :)
[snapback]161117[/snapback]

Hell no!!  I'm always telling her if she had  to work for a living she would be permanently unemployed :lol:  :lol:

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »
Sounds like shes had the best meal in ages :)
Caroline and Alfie