Author Topic: BRAN  (Read 1299 times)

Offline helen1

• Site Member
BRAN
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
Just wondered if someone could tell me how much bran to sprinkle on Baileys food to help him with poo-ing so as his anal glands dont fill up.  Am i right in thinking this will help bulk up his poo so as anal glands empty a bit each time? :huh:
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
Re: BRAN
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:27:04 PM »
I put 2 teaspoons full in Sam's meal.  This is the instructions on the packet and I know it's for a human, but the woman in the shop said it would be the same.  Have to admit that it has made no difference to Sam's anal glands.

Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »
I use bran on our cavalier's food to help with the anal glands.  I guess I use more than 2 teaspoons though ph34r  I'm not sure how much it would measure out as...perhaps 1/4 a small cup?  I've never seen her straining, so I am certain she can tolerate this amount.  If she was finding it hard to go to the toilet I would reduce the amount.  She only has it on her evening meal, and I add warm water to the bran and let it soak for a short while (till it cools).

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »
Wheat can have the opposite effect of softening the poo, so it may not help with emptying the anal glands at all.

How about giving him a chicken wing every 2-3 days? Or even feeding a raw egg; the shell would firm up the poo nicely.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »
My vet told me the other day to put a tablespoon of allbran in monty's dinner. This should help make the poos wider as skinny poos don't press against the anal glands, so they dont get emptied, the stools need bulking up.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »
Started to put some bran in Baileys evening meal and poo seems to be a slightly different colour and a bit bigger ph34r Sorry not a good subject really :005:  But he is scooting along the floor when he's had a poo :o
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
After having to have his anal glands emptied, I started giving Charlie bran, and it's made a real difference. I just sprinkle a bit on, though, tbh, I don't measure it out. :embarassed:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »
I put bran on mine, probably get a dessert spoon or slightly less for each dog, once a day.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.