Author Topic: chew time/satisfaction correlation?  (Read 438 times)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
chew time/satisfaction correlation?
« on: November 26, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
Morgan sometimes has raw and we're thinking of going over to 50/50 with Burns for breakfast and raw for tea. He's never been a greedy eater and eats his Burns slowly and steadily, taking a good few minutes, chicken wings disappear quite quickly but he seems satisfied, perhaps because he puts in a bit of effort.

With other raw however, he generally seems surprised that his meal is over so quickly "Is that it then Mum?" I weigh his meal out so I know he's getting 1-1.5% body weight per meal but any mince or chopped heart/liver just seems to get hoovered up in the blink of an eye and he seems so disappointed! Tonight he had a couple of lamb ribs which took him an absolute age and it looks as though he's completely satisfied (like his Daddy after Sunday lunch  :005: ) or am I being too anthropomorphic?

So, I wonder, is there a correlation between chewing time and satisfaction?

"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Sherlock

Re: chew time/satisfaction correlation?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
This is a really good question! Sherlock's fed raw, so I know what you mean about that slightly confused, disappointed look when five seconds after putting it in front of him his mince has disappeared!

I guess it could be similar to how it is with us - so it takes a bit of time (20 mins is it?) for our food to go down and for us to feel full. Which is why we should eat relatively slowly rather than gulp it down and then eat more  :lol2:

So chewing for a dog might help him feel full as it slows it all down. Also, I guess it's kind of tiring chewing through bones, so they're probably ready for a lie-down after those lamb ribs!  (I'm getting some lamb ribs for the first time for Sherlock tomorrow, so it's good to hear that they should keep him occupied for a while!)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: chew time/satisfaction correlation?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »

That's why we try and go for chunks of meat rather than minces... Honey definately enjoys them much more.  Lamb hearts can be given whole, and we get ox heart in fairly large chunks...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020