Author Topic: Virus  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Virus
« on: May 09, 2005, 11:12:30 PM »
Hi all

Hope you might be able to help with the multitude of problems that my aunt is having with her PC.  A couple of months back her friend installed some programs for downloading music onto the computer and ever since then she's had some very 'tastless' icons appearing on her desktop and also some pretty explicit pop ups. With two young children in the house it's not really possible for them to use the computer in this state.  Also, 'something' has taken over the desktop background.

It is infected with a virus called 'Bloodhound.W32.EP'.  <_<

The internet connection is very hit and miss now - wasn't like that before - so every time I try to download Spybot or Adaware the connection fails before the download completes.

I've tried a system restore but it's refusing to restore as well - could this be connected to the virus or other bugs lurking in her system??

Was up there all night trying out the few things I know to sort it but with no luck - I've never had a virus on my computer (touch wood) so don't really know where to start  :blink:

The catalogue of problems seems huge - is there any way of clearing everything to get it back to factory settings?  How easy is this to do???

Well that's the challenge - anyone up for trying to solve it???  :lol:  :lol:

would just take it to a technician but they're not that common up here  :ph34r:
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Virus
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 12:28:57 AM »
Found this not sure if its any help  :unsure: HERE

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Virus
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 08:17:14 AM »
Found this not sure if its any help  :unsure: HERE
[snapback]125648[/snapback]

Thanks Gilly  :huh: .  What does it mean when it says "executes playload August 2nd"?  Does that mean that it's not actually doing the damage just now but will do in a few months time?  I have no idea about any of these things  <_<  Sounds nasty anyway  :(  Have printed out that page so might have a go at following the instructions  :rolleyes:  It can't possibly end up in a worse state than it's in just now.........or can it!!! :lol:
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
Virus
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 08:30:56 AM »
Oooohh! That sounds like a real nasty virus. I'm worried about the "possible damage to CMOS" reference as this could potentially make the computer completely worthless. From the description of how it operates, I'd say it probably hasn't started to do it's thing yet - however, it's likely that there are some other viruses and/or nastys on the PC as well that are causing the current problems.

Some computer manufacturers supply a CD to restore the system to it's factory-shipped condition and if you have one of these it maybe worthwhile doing. Manually getting rid of viruses can be a complicated process and in the case of this one, you'd need to be completely sure it was all gone.
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline mick

• Site Member
Virus
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 09:38:34 PM »
Hi Shirley

Try this web site one of the links within it might solve the problem

http://top-anti-virus.info/bloodhound-w32.html

Hope it works