Author Topic: Zippee - New Laptop  (Read 1952 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Zippee - New Laptop
« on: June 05, 2005, 08:40:41 PM »
:) Yippee my new laptop arrived Friday and its brill !!  So much quicker than my elderly pc  :rolleyes:  

Took me a while yesterday to set up as my favourites were lost and I had to find all the passwords  :blink: .........and then today I lost my broadband connection  :blink: tried ringing bt helpline and all they did was keep cutting me off  :angry: ...anyway got it going.

Am using AVG and Zone alarm this time instead of Norton (which i had probs with)so hope it will be ok  :blink:  

Anyway I'm having fun playing and whizzing around COL now !  :lol:  :lol:  Thanks to everyone who helped me when I was asking loads of questions about puters  ;) xxxxxxxxxx

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 11:24:05 PM »
I would install Microsoft Antispyware as well. Do a google search and you should finf it. Run a scan once a week to keep your PC "bug" free.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »
Congratulations.

Enjoy!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 04:43:15 PM »
Thanks very much for that Gilly - will do that ;) x

Spoke too soon I think  :rolleyes: - had the problem with the broadband connection yesterday (lost modem) and I had to reinstall from the BT broadband cd again.  All was well yesterday until I switched on today and it was lost again !  :blink: - have had to reload AGAIN  :angry: .... not sure why, happy days  :rolleyes: xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 04:50:46 PM »
Spoke too soon I think  :rolleyes: - had the problem with the broadband connection yesterday (lost modem) and I had to reinstall from the BT broadband cd again.  All was well yesterday until I switched on today and it was lost again !  :blink: - have had to reload AGAIN  :angry: .... not sure why, happy days  :rolleyes: xxxxx
[snapback]130626[/snapback]

We had this with out AOL broadband Sue - the helpline advised us to unplug the modem before switching off the computer, then plugging it back in when the computer was switched on again - which sounds silly, but it did work...

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 05:25:22 PM »
Spoke too soon I think  :rolleyes: - had the problem with the broadband connection yesterday (lost modem) and I had to reinstall from the BT broadband cd again.  All was well yesterday until I switched on today and it was lost again !  :blink: - have had to reload AGAIN  :angry: .... not sure why, happy days  :rolleyes: xxxxx
[snapback]130626[/snapback]

We had this with out AOL broadband Sue - the helpline advised us to unplug the modem before switching off the computer, then plugging it back in when the computer was switched on again - which sounds silly, but it did work...
[snapback]130629[/snapback]

Thanks for that Mike  ;)

Was'nt sure whether to ring BT or the computer company  :blink: , never had it happen on my previous puter.

Will give it a try tommorrow  ;) xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 07:03:09 PM »
Great tip - thanks Mike  ;)

Been in touch with BT today and seems its a power management prob (common on laptops) - will have to plug and unplug each time or buy a powered router  :blink: x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 07:26:34 PM »
Router would be a good idea, especially a wireless router, then you can go wireless with your laptop as well! Cool!

Delighted to hear about the new machine though!

Incidentally, I never heard of anyone else having to connect and disconnect like this regularly. I would think you could disable the power saving mode to prevent this behaviour?
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Zippee - New Laptop
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 07:49:15 PM »
Incidentally, I never heard of anyone else having to connect and disconnect like this regularly. I would think you could disable the power saving mode to prevent this behaviour?
[snapback]130888[/snapback]
Thanks Steve, might try that  ;)

Apart from this problem its great and its lovely to whizz around instead of sitting for hours trying to catch up with posts  :rolleyes:  :lol: xxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"