Author Topic: Avg E-mail Scanner  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Avg E-mail Scanner
« on: June 15, 2005, 07:58:20 PM »
Hi all

I'm having a bit of bother with my e-mail at the moment and wondered if anyone can shed some light on it.  

Every time I try to use Outlook Express to check my e-mail the AVG Scanner (which, for the past 18 months, worked just fine) fails.  A window appears with AVG E-mail Scanner - AutoPOP3:  Connecting to pop.freeserve.com and after that's been flashing in the corner for a while an error message appears.  I can check my E-mail using Outlook, only if I switch off the AVG, which I'm not keen on doing, even for a short while.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling AVG but this only sorts it for a day or so - all scans are showing that there are no viruses (though I know this is no guarantee  :rolleyes: )

Any ideas?????  :)

Shirley  :D
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Avg E-mail Scanner
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 08:00:46 PM »
Sounds like its become corrupted. Try doing a new install.

Another little programme thats good for spam etc is Mail washer. Its free and allows you to preview all emails without opening them
Caroline and Alfie

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Avg E-mail Scanner
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »
Sorry Shirley - useless at techi things - hope someone can help, its so frustrating when something isnt working properly  :rolleyes: xxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

Avg E-mail Scanner
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 09:35:59 PM »
I use AVG and OE. Have you tried going on to their website and asking the question there (they have a forum) and are very helpful.

Idle curiosity but could the server timeout have been changed to short (if it takes a while for something to happen and the server timeout is on 'short' then you get an error because there's not enough time to complete the task). You can find out if you go into Tools, then Accounts, select your mail account and go into Properties, if you look in Advanced tab it should give you the server timeout.

Failing that have you got any spyware etc. on your system.

I also on occasion have to reset my account details on Virgin (my ISP) as they periodically have problems which affects this system.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Avg E-mail Scanner
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 01:23:13 AM »
I use AVG and OE. Have you tried going on to their website and asking the question there (they have a forum) and are very helpful.

Idle curiosity but could the server timeout have been changed to short (if it takes a while for something to happen and the server timeout is on 'short' then you get an error because there's not enough time to complete the task). You can find out if you go into Tools, then Accounts, select your mail account and go into Properties, if you look in Advanced tab it should give you the server timeout.

Failing that have you got any spyware etc. on your system.

I also on occasion have to reset my account details on Virgin (my ISP) as they periodically have problems which affects this system.
[snapback]132337[/snapback]

Thanks for the info folks  :)   I'll try another install tomorrow, I think- see if that sorts it.

I run Spybot + Adaware + Microsoft Antispyware every week - has made no difference so far  :rolleyes: I've just upgraded to Spybot 1.4 so will run that tomorrow.

Penny, I checked the timeout level last week and it was already up at 5 minutes  <_< .  

Will try out some of the suggestions tomorrow and let you know how it goes.  Thanks for the input  :D
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Avg E-mail Scanner
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 08:24:34 AM »
Shirley I was on my sisters PC (remotely) trying to sort out her email, she's with (Wanadoo) but with a freeserve email address. One thing I did notice is that her internet connection keeps cutting off every 30 minutes or even less. How annoying is that!!!! I kept getting kicked off her PC  :angry: and thats supposedly broadband  :unsure: doesn't really solve your problem I know  :rolleyes:
Have you had a look at the settings in AVG control centre??? The email scanner setup is in there, maybe there is something set wrong??