Author Topic: Backing Up Your Hard Disk  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Site Member
Backing Up Your Hard Disk
« on: July 11, 2005, 02:48:41 PM »
Hi Guys

The hard drive on my laptop has just been replaced due to the original being damaged :(  (luckily this was covered by the guarantee) :D

Dell have informed me that the lost data can be retrieved by giving the original hard disk to PC World who should be able to retrieve it.  Has anyone any experience of this and if so do you have any idea of the cost involved.

Many thanks :)

Bonnie

Offline ReadingSteve

• Site Member
    • Buddy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 11:13:45 PM »
Depends on how badly damaged the first hard disk was.  Data recovery tends to be very complex and very expensive, and I don't think this is something I would expect PC World to be able to handle.  There are speciallist data recovery companies around, Ontrack springs to mind - but as I said their services tend to be expensive (several hundred pounds I would guess)

I know it's a bit late - but for anyone else reading this - there really is no better solution than making sure your data is regularly backed up onto CDs or tapes or copied onto another PC via a network.
Live Long and Prosper!

Offline Bonnie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:03:55 PM »
Thanks for this - sorry for the delay in responding - I was away last week.

Your posting is absolututely spot on  :) - PC World were indeed unable to help and the data recovery company recommended to me were v. v. expensive indeed as you said.

The most annoying thing that I have lost is photos of my children and Timber's file showing how he has changed and matured  during his first 10 months.  So that has taught me an important lessons - to always back up important data.

Once again many thanks for responding

Bonnie