Author Topic: System Recovery  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
System Recovery
« on: August 29, 2005, 08:04:22 PM »
After months of problems with my PC and hours spent on the phone to helplines, it now looks like (as soon as I get the floppy drive repaired) I'm going to have to do a system recovery  :(   I've removed most of the stuff that I want to keep but haven't been able to find a way to save My Favourites to file or disc - if anyone can help me I'll be sooooo grateful - thanks  :)
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
System Recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 08:20:15 PM »
I had to do a full system recovery not that long ago Shirley - after I "contracted a virus!!"  :ph34r:

I will not give you any advice though as I am not very techie minded and got spoon fed the whole way through it - but the only thing I backed up before hand was the registry entries.

Pretty much everything else was still there after I did a system recovery.  The only things I lost were Microsoft Excel (cos I had added that from a disk), Kazzaa (cos I shouldn't have been using it anyway  :ph34r:  :rolleyes: ) and a couple of other bits and bobs.

Nothing major though  ;)
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
System Recovery
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:34:06 PM »
Hi Shirley

As a real technophobe I will try to help but apologise now in case my instructions are gobbleygook to you.

I have to assume you have XP (as I do and I know nothing about the othes  :ph34r: )

If you look in My computer and goto your c drive and go into documents and settings there is a file that is star shaped and called favourites. This is the file you need to burn to disk.

Sounds simple eh!! Took me days to even find the file!!!  :ph34r:

Hope this helps

Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
System Recovery
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:03:32 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for that.  My poor old 'puter is away to Inverness and I'm sitting in front of an even older one - think this one last saw the light of day about 3 years ago - took it out of the cupboard, dusted it off and nearly collasped with shock when it actually fired up  :rolleyes:  BUT, i've lost the Windows disks for it and now it won't let me install the drivers for my broadband modem so am back to dial-up for a few weeks - a nightmare, but better than nothing - at least I can check my e-mail (school computers have a filter and only let you check your work address  <_<  :angry: )  Anyway, roll on the middle of month when I get my own machine back  :rolleyes:
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline denisec

• Site Member
System Recovery
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 10:26:23 PM »
Hi Shirley

It is soo frustrating when these things happen, we got a viris a few months back and ended up loosing quite a lot of stuff  :blink:

I have had a look at Morgan's page what a beaut he is  :D  :D

Denise and Ghillie

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
System Recovery
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 10:27:31 PM »
back to dial-up for a few weeks

Don't you just hate dial up after you have been using Broadband!!  It happened to me when I first moved here last year - they didn't have broadband in the area so we had to make do with dial up for 3mths........  :(

Now I'm with BT Broadband and I hate it - can't wait for my contract to be up!!  They are so expensive - I seem to be going over my limjit every month and I am not doing that much!

I have always had NTL who were unlimited usage.  Tesco are offering me 1000 points if I transfer to them at the moment, and they are also unlimited for £17.97 per month.   ;)

This month with BT we have already had the "you will be charged an extra £8 this month" email!  :angry:
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started