Author Topic: Xbox Live  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
Xbox Live
« on: February 17, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »
My son has an xbox 360 and we are trying to connect to xbox live. We have connected the ethernet cable to the pc but when the xbox tries to connect it asks for an IP address - I have tried speaking to xbox and to mcafee but they don't seem to be much help - they are all so technical and I am just a bod who uses a computer and doesn't know much about how they work!

Can anyone help

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Xbox Live
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 04:49:39 PM »
Try here:

http://support.shaw.ca/troubleshooting/gameconsoles.htm#xbox

But I think your ethernet should be connected direct to a hub or router - not to your PC. could be wrong though.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Xbox Live
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 04:54:14 PM »
Hi,

Is your network cable a cross over cable ? it needs to be if your connecting through the PC. - (Edit - If it is a cross over cable lemme know and ill sort some instructions out)

I would invest in a Router / Hub thou as you can then play on the xbox without the PC being turned on also makes connecting to XBOX live a lot easier.

Give me a shout if you need any help and i`ll write an easy guide.

Jim
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
Re: Xbox Live
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 04:46:21 PM »
I don't know about cross over cables. The manual describes it as an ethernet cable and it goes from the xbox to the back of the pc. This is the only socket we can find that the cable will fit into. The broadband modem is separate and only has a small cable.

I wish I was technically minded instead of just a bod who uses a computer!

I will try the adivice given on the link from Pam.

Thanks I will let you know how I get on

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 07:40:44 PM »
It sounds like you have ADSL so if you dont have a router at the moment you will need to run the Xbox through the computer.

The Xbox is asking for a ip address as its not being issued one from a DCHP server (Techie)

You need to set the ip address of you lan card to something like 192.168.0.1 then set your xbox to 192.168.0.2, but you HAVE to have the cross over cable or it will not work !!!!

To be honest your best bet is to just get a router, as well as sharing your internet connection with out the need for your computer to be on for the xbox to work they also provide more protection than the standard firerwall.

If you need any help let me know Jim.

The following is from this web page http://www.xboxmagonline.com/xbox/online/xboxlive_connected_3.html

Its for the old Xbox but should be the same.....

Connect with a USB-based modem

You must use a Windows ICS connection if your modem is USB-based. You must already have an Ethernet NIC installed in your PC for this connection.

1. Before you connect any cables, turn off your Xbox console, cable/DSL modem, and PC. If you have an external modem, unplug it from its power source to turn it off.

2. Take your USB cable and connect one end to the USB out port on the modem. Then connect the other end to one of the available USB ports on your PC.

3. Take your Ethernet cable and connect one end to the Ethernet out port on the PC NIC. Then connect the other end to the Ethernet port on the back of the Xbox console. Most Windows ICS connections require a crossover (not a standard, straight-through) Ethernet cable for this, although some may require a standard cable. See your modem documentation for more information.

4. Turn on your modem and your PC.

5. Configure Windows ICS to share your Internet connection. For more information, see your Windows documentation.

6. Once ICS is configured, make sure that your PC can access the Internet.

7. Turn on your Xbox console with no disc in the disc tray.

8. From the Xbox Dashboard, choose Xbox Live. Or, play a game on your Xbox Live Starter Kit disc and choose the option for Xbox Live play.

If you see the Xbox Live screen, congratulations! You are connected to Xbox Live! Next, Sign Up for Xbox Live.

If your Xbox console can't connect to Xbox Live, the Xbox Dashboard provides an automatic network troubleshooter to help you connect.
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 02:22:09 PM »
Thanks I will give it a go, why is nothing simple - I knew it wouldn't just be a case of plug in and go!

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 04:26:03 PM »
Let me know how you get on, if your buying a router Pm me and i'll let you know which type to get (Depends on your connection)

Jim
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue