Author Topic: Broadband with unlimited downloads  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Broadband with unlimited downloads
« on: February 26, 2006, 11:09:20 PM »

I've recently been having a few problems with Tiscali - they claim to have no download limits yet I've recently fallen foul of their "fair usage policy" which resticts bandwidth use between 5pm and 11pm - I'm on my last warning or else they'll put me on a slow speed for those peak hours.  >:D So basically I'm after recommendations for high speed, with no limits that restrict me watching live football streaming or downloading torrents at any time I wish.

For a simliar price to my 2mb Tiscali I see people like Wannadoo and Bulldog are offering 8mgs - Bethere offer 24mgs for £24 ! I realise I probably wouldn't achieve these speeds in reality but I'm sure they are way faster than what I'm getting now, which is a long way short of the 2mbs I pay for. Anyone tried any of these providers ?

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: Broadband with unlimited downloads
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:49:37 PM »
Colin, have a look at http://www.adslguide.org/ and it will give you some comparisons on price, usage, speed, and customers reviews B)

HTH

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 01:05:18 AM »
Mmmm wonder why your exceeding your limits  ^_^ >:D >:D

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 08:23:05 AM »
Gilly - I was just thinking that - knowing  ;) between us girlies  :laugh:

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:58:12 PM »
Watch the small print with Bulldog - it's not the deal you think it might be ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 05:12:05 PM »

Yep, I've looked into Bulldog and a lot of people aren't too impressed - not keen on changing my phone line to them either.

I'm tempted by Be*...

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Again a lot of people had teething problems with it, they only started up a few months ago. Most complaints seem to be that they only get speeds of 4meg to 8meg rather than the supposed 24meg capacity - I'd settle for that though, just how fast do people need things to run ?  :huh: No matter which ISP I look at people seem to have issues with - although that's the nature of things really, people only post about problems, if things are running smoothly they just get on with it.

I hope I didn't give the impression I'm downloading anything "top shelf" - it's not the case, honestly.  :lol: It's the live football streaming that has got me into trouble.  >:D

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »
Tiscali!! Rrrrrrrghgh don't even get me started, rrrrghghgh I had nought but problems with them >:( >:( >:(

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
Is there such a thing as unlimited downloads with any broadband supplier? I signed up with Virgin on the basis it offered unlimited downloads but they've recently added a 20GB limit per month >:( I haven't gone over the limit yet despite downloading torrents & uploading stuff to websites so I guess I'm ok for the moment ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »
I'm with Blueyonder pay £25 a month..... I think. I must download so much stuff within a month it's unbelieveable  :005: so YES mine is definitely unlimited  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 06:37:46 PM »
Is there such a thing as unlimited downloads with any broadband supplier? I signed up with Virgin on the basis it offered unlimited downloads but they've recently added a 20GB limit per month >:( I haven't gone over the limit yet despite downloading torrents & uploading stuff to websites so I guess I'm ok for the moment ;)

Jane

We have our boradband from our local cable company, Wightcable - and they are definitely unlimited; but no good unless you live here 
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 06:49:38 PM »
I'm with Blueyonder pay £25 a month..... I think. I must download so much stuff within a month it's unbelieveable  :005: so YES mine is definitely unlimited  ;)

Yeah but some of us can't get cable of any description - we've only just had our exchange upgraded for broadband and cable is a long way off here ;) Shouldn't be a problem for Colin though down in the big smoke :lol:
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 06:54:53 PM »
Yeah but some of us can't get cable of any description - we've only just had our exchange upgraded for broadband and cable is a long way off here ;) Shouldn't be a problem for Colin though down in the big smoke :lol:

When we moved here 7 years ago, there was no cable - a company bought the Licence and installed the cabling to many of the towns (p***ing off all the locals and holiday makers with the roadworks in the process), and then went bust  :o  The current company took over and seem to have made a great job of it - they did go through a dodgy period last year - but all seems OK now.

Hang on in there Jane - I'm sure you'll get cable eventually ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 07:55:07 PM »
We have got cable here - Telewest. I was looking at that last night - I'm slightly put off from previous experiences with Cable London though, who were a right cowboy outfit.  >:D The trouble these days is there's just too much choice - it just complicates matters and I usually end up sticking with what I've got.  ::)

Is there any easy way of me finding out roughly what bandwidth I use a month, because I've absolutely no idea. As I said earlier I didn't get any warning emails until I started watching live footy streaming. I'd previously been downloading torrents without a problem but I'm reluctant to risk doing it now during the peak hours in case Tiscali start capping me.  >:D

Nobody got experience of Be* ?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 08:06:04 PM »
There are freeware applications that will monitor bandwidth and download volumes: have you tried Download.com or ZdNET?

I'll have a word with OH when he comes home (with dinner ;)) and get back to you......
Oldies Club

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 08:16:41 PM »

Thanks Rachel, I'll check those out.  :blink: