Author Topic: Broadband with unlimited downloads  (Read 6478 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Re: Broadband with unlimited downloads
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2006, 12:24:01 AM »
I use Peer Guardian too  ;) i'd go mad with download speeds of 7.5kbs  :huh: Like Colin says it does depend on the number of connected seeds. Depends what client your using and firewall, I'm just using Windows XP firewall but you have to remember to open the port. If you decide to use Bit Comet give me or Colin a shout and I'm sure we'll be able to point you in the right direction to tweak the settings. I've also downloaded a piece of software that opens the connections that windows sets as standard (usually 10) I've upped mine to 50.

Offline stevewp

• Site Member
  • Bridget on a typically hard day !
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 03:46:54 AM »
I use Metronet (Click me!) who have a very good system

Basically, I pay a nominal amount per month (£13.75 for a 1MB service). For that, I get around 2GB of downloads. You do not get cut off at that point though. All that happens is that you pay 25p per 1MB downloaded above that 2GB. When you hit 8GB, you pay no more. Again, you do not get cut off. You merely hit a limit on the amount you pay. At that limit, you will pay £26.75. You'll never pay more than that £26.75, but may pay as little as £13.75. And you never ever get restricted!!

You are also only tied in for 3 months (most companies make you sign a 12 month contract).

Now for the downside. You do not get a modem or free connection. The connection will cost you £70 (which is how much BT charge all broadband companies per connection) and you can pick up a modem for around £20 from Dabs (Click here) - or at least, you could around 18 months ago. I haven't checked prices recently, and actually use a wireless router and modem combined, which cost around £80, but I doubt you'll pay much for a standard broadband modem.

Funny thing is, a couple of weeks ago some bloke knocked on my door one evening trying to sell me his broadband service, and ended up making notes on what I have cos it was a much better deal!!! Lol
Have a look at Bridget's pictures here

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2006, 01:19:11 PM »
Colin, I also recommend BY/telewest. Dont pay for the biggest package as you will no doubt get free upgrades - I got 2mg for the price of 512g. As others have said its a reliable service BUT their email servers are up and down more times then a pair of drawers ;)

As for the rest of you, dont be complaining about your BB speeds - I cant get BB here at all  :'( :'( :'(
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 11:58:33 PM »
After having a look for broadband recommendations on MoneySavingExpert, can anyone give an opinion on madasafish please?

thanks,
Michele :003: