Author Topic: Antivirus  (Read 7650 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Re: Antivirus
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 08:30:15 AM »
That's the problem I'm getting too - I'll have to follow those destructions as well  ;)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »
I have got Norton on my computer, but currently cant log onto  internet on my user for some reason - only on husband or sons' user names.  However, whilst on husband's user, a message came up saying I need to update Norton - have only recently put it on though! so don't understand why.
Can I install avg although I already have Norton? or do I have to take Norton off first?
Am starting to hate my computer!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2006, 10:02:42 PM »
All antivirus programs including avg and norton need regular updates to their virus tables. this is how they keep up to date with all the new viruses , the virus tables store information about each virus that enables the program to identify said virus if attacked. I would imagine norton has noticed that its virus tables haven't been updated for a while and has issued a warning. AVG will do the same if it doesn't get an update every 14 days.

I would suggest you download avg, uninstall norton then install avg - its a much better program.

As regards your connection problem, try Start - Control Panel - Network Connections - Network troubleshooter (left hand side 'see also')

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 10:06:38 PM »
I have got Norton on my computer, but currently cant log onto  internet on my user for some reason - only on husband or sons' user names.  However, whilst on husband's user, a message came up saying I need to update Norton - have only recently put it on though! so don't understand why.
Can I install avg although I already have Norton? or do I have to take Norton off first?
Am starting to hate my computer!

Anti-virus software is not a "one time only" install - when you buy it (or in the case of AVG, install it for free), you also buy a number of months of updates, which are continuously being developed to protect your computer against new viruses doing the rounds of the internet  >:(

The Norton software is unlikely to be causing the problems with your log in if you can use some user-names; that's more of a cookie problem by the sounds of things  ;)

If you only have the Norton anti-virus software, then it can't hurt to replace it with AVG if you on;t want to use the software you have paid for ( :huh:) - but often, Norton bundle the anti-virus with other software applications, which you might find useful - the Norton SystemWorks package has Ghosting, Clean sweep, and other utilities as well as anti-virus software included  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »
Got another question along the same lines, so I'll ask here instead of starting another thread.

I'm trying to resurect my old lappie (Andy wants it). How do I get AVG on to it, as at the mo it has no virus protection.

I'm assuming I need to connect it to the internet to download AVG, but is it safe to do so with an unprotected machine?

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2006, 09:04:54 AM »
Have you got a USB stick? that's how I did it on our laptops. Downloaded it on the main machine and then loaded it on to the USB and then plugged it into the laptop and then installed it.

Offline pollylolly

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2006, 06:15:42 PM »
We have AVG on all our pooters, had dreadful problems with Norton,
When I got my new pc last month the pc world guy asked if I wanted Norton and I told him no thanks and why and he agreed with me recommending boy AVG and AVAST which my techie uncle recommends too.

My sons pc has worked much faster and loads up so much quicker too since he uninstalled Norton it takes a lot of memory apparantly

Offline CHIC

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2007, 12:59:48 AM »
If your Broadband provider is NTL/telewest then you can downlaod and install NETGEAR which is a free Anti-virus, Firewall product.  It also updates automatically every 3 hours. 
never had any problems with it

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2007, 02:42:53 AM »
I tried the freebie stuff from Telewest/Blueyonder once it slowed my PC down no end and any scans took forever.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2007, 03:47:16 PM »
I had the same problem Gilly with PC Guard (freebie from Blueyonder)  also took forever to remove the program.

I now use AVG Anti-Virus, and so far so good!