Author Topic: Idiots guide needed please.  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
Idiots guide needed please.
« on: April 23, 2007, 02:59:24 PM »

Hi, I am looking into the possibility of having a wireless connection for our computer.

What exactly would we need? We are currently with Orange and I have been looking at the livebox, but TBH I don't have a clue what it all means :embarassed:

Our current PC is about 2 years old and I don't know if it is suitable for wireless, if it's not what do you need to make it suitable?

I hope someone with a a little more knowledge can help, but you'll need to speak slowly :005: ;)

Thanks in advance ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Idiots guide needed please.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »
Next time we have a walk, come and talk to Colin, we have PC and three laptops linked wirelessly to internet and to printer.  Assume that's what you want.  Colin set it up and he's no expert, PCs about the same age and the other one was older.  The broadband receiver is plugged into the telephone line away from any of the computers and the range covers all the house.

Meg can use her laptop anywhere in house and Colin works from home sometimes.  It wasn't mega-expensive although depends what you have fitted already (Megs laptop has a card fitted which automatically searches for the network, the rest have a card inserted.)  The printer just has to be installed on each computer but can then be reached from whichever laptop needs it.

Hope that makes sense.  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »

Thanks Jenny ;)

I have heard 'routers' being mentioned, any idea what they are?

In Tony's eyes, Colin is an expert in PC's, Tony is completely useless :005: But then it doesn't kick a ball or catch a fish does it :005:

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:24:29 PM »
The router is what is plugged into the phone line, you can either have it plugged into a laptop or desktop or have it totally wireless if you have the aforementioned network card inserted. We have just sold our old router which was a Belkin one which are very good, the only reason why we have got shut of it is because we've got Sky broadband now and you get a different router.

HTH, not personally a huge expert but they're easy to set up and my OH is helping his dad do this atm.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Not sure whether we are going to Sky Broadband - Colins talked about it but not followed up yet - if you are not in a rush to get this sorted let my ask him what we are doing as we could have a spare router, I'll pm home number so Tony can ask him what he needs - or how about a walk this weekend - we can follow up with a coffee at cafe Oliver whilst the men talk "routers"?  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »
We had a couple of hiccups with Sky but other than that we're very happy with them now, for the price and the download speed they are superb!

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:41:07 PM »
We have a desktop which is about 2 yrs and already wireless along with a laptop that is about 12 months old and already wireless. If your PC is not wireless you can buy a wireless card or adapter from somewhere like PC World. Then you need the Wireless modem. I have a netgear one and would recommend it. It set up in about 5 mins and was dead easy.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 08:46:06 PM »
We have 2 desktops (new one added tonight) and a laptop. 

We use a Linksys Router.  There have been a couple of occasions that we have had to phone Linksys to help configure the computers and I have got to say that their customer service team is EXCELLENT and it is a freephone number as well. 

My advice, go into PC World and ask for some advice.  I am not a huge fan of PC World but on this occasion they did actually help !

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:50:31 PM »
Just to put a spanner in the works - we have recently changed over from Wireless to Homeplug - which used your electricity copper ringmain as a computer network  ;)

Our house was built in the 50's, so all the internal walls are brick, and the Wireless network just didn't work between rooms/floors reliably  :-\

We have one Homeplug terminus that takes the input from broadband, and then each computer we want to attach to the network has a Homeplug unit plugged in nearby, and a standard network cable attaches the computer to the network. If you want to move around, it's not a big problem, as it works over extention cables, so I can still surf the web on my laptop from the garden  :shades:

It is more secure than Wireless too - there have been recent court cases of people sat in cars outside peoples houses using their wireless network to access the internet and get up to no good; and it can be difficult to prove it was not the householder  ph34r Wireless networks can be secured effectively, but a lot of people don't bother or don't know how  :o
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
I agree that securing your Network is very important  ;) a lot of people don't bother  :huh:
We've got one Desktop and 4 Laptops all working wireless with a Netgear Router.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 06:31:08 AM »
We're all wireless too and have been for a couple of years if not more. I love looking to see how many networks I can connect too from my laptop as peopole don't secure them. And when BTs been down - I've used them too!! So deffo secure whatever you use.

What system/provider are you currently using?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »

We're with Orange ATM but I'm keeping my options open as we could change ISP. ;)I've found Orange to be getting slower but if I upgrade my service, I'm tied in for another 12 months.

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »
We're all wireless too and have been for a couple of years if not more. I love looking to see how many networks I can connect too from my laptop as peopole don't secure them. And when BTs been down - I've used them too!! So deffo secure whatever you use.

I wouldn't shout about that too loudly!  :o  :005:

Deffo secure, most deffo if you do any shopping online or god forbid online banking!