Author Topic: updating someone elses windows  (Read 2806 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
updating someone elses windows
« on: July 16, 2007, 12:39:11 PM »
OK I am helping a friend to use her computer, start getting emails and set up  a basic website for their horses, anyway she has a version of windows ME, and I was going to download the web building programme but need to install up to date windows to read the disk etc, can I use the installation disk that came with my PC to install windows XP on her computer??

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Re: updating someone elses windows
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:16:35 PM »
OK, just realised my XP is on an emachines recovery disk, does this mean we need to buy an updated windows?

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:26:16 PM »
Each home copy of Windows is only legally licensed for one installation - so if you install *your* copy on her computer, then Microsoft will know about it when you enter the registration key  ;)

If she is a student, then she may be able to buy a copy of Windows at a reduced price - or you could use a different operating system (Linux, for instance).....but would not be able to install Microsoft software such as Office or Frontpage, for instance  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »
right, so programme I am trying to download is netobjects fusion and I can't get the PC to recognise the disk, which is why I thought it was lack of windows updated? any ideas welcome?

Offline SimonThePhotographer

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:05:37 AM »
Ok, back up the old thought train for a second - im totally lost!   ;)

You're trying to install netobjects fusion which you have downloaded.  If you downloaded it, then it can't be on a disk unless you burned it to a disk?   So when you try to install it, what actually happens?  Does it complain about the version of windows?

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »
Oh, is it not still on the disk, you see Simon, you need to make things idiot proof for me, I didn't realise that if I had installed from a disk it then meant it wasn't still on the disk, and that explains why i cant use the disk again. :005:

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:34:58 AM »
No no... thats not what im saying.   :005:   See, in order to install software you'd have either....

(1)  Downloaded it or...

(2)  Had it on a CD.

The software that you're trying to install..... was it on a CD, or was it downloaded?   And when you try to install it on Windows ME - what happens?

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »
gotcha, its on a disk that I got when I signed up to lycos webspace, I built a website with it and it was dead easy so I was going to put it onto my pals PC so we could use the programme again. I have a code for it etc so just thought if I stuck the installation disk into her PC I could use it again, when I stick it in it gives me an install option and then creates a setup file which cant be accessed (I cant remember the exact reason why, won't be able to tell you until I go back), however another friend that was there said because the computer was about 10 years old it might not have the right operating system to run the installation??

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 02:15:28 PM »
It's a big possibility that the operating system is too old (and it's known that Windows ME isn't great anyway).  But usually if an installer has an issue with the OS, it will tell you that.  Certainly MSI and Installshield type installers are designed to tell you when the version is wrong for the operating system.

You'll have to note what is says and let us know.

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 06:23:43 PM »
It's a big possibility that the operating system is too old

if that was the case what would you suggest?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »
It's a big possibility that the operating system is too old

if that was the case what would you suggest?

The cheapest way would be to find another web developing/design software application - they are often available on cover disks of PC Magazines, or try www.download.com to find free downloads for Windows Me  ;)

Upgrading the Operating System can be an expensive business  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 07:21:18 AM »
Yeah, i'd agree with that.  If you're perplexed with installing software, then installing an operating system is going to be tricky!   ;)

I'd go with trying to find some Shareware which works under Windows ME

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 01:38:01 PM »
blimey, this is getting confusing :o

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
Oh, is it not still on the disk, you see Simon, you need to make things idiot proof for me, I didn't realise that if I had installed from a disk it then meant it wasn't still on the disk, and that explains why i cant use the disk again. :005:

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: sorry freya but, that is soo funny. so glad i'm not the only pc thicko here :005:

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 07:33:59 PM »
I did feel a bit dense, but thats what he implied and I was confused  :o :005: :005: