Author Topic: I need help buying a laptop for a teenager!  (Read 8390 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
I need help buying a laptop for a teenager!
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
Becky is off to college in September and I've got a brainwave for her 16th Birthday in June!

I want to get her a laptop that can work wireless  :D

Trouble is, I have no idea how to get 'wireless internet' or what laptop to get?

I have an ancient PC that is on broadband with Virgin - so...................

Is it easy to add a wireless laptop and how do you do it?

What laptop do I go for?

Where is the best (cheap) place to go?

How do I get Word and Excel loaded?

I don't want to go to a local store and buy a bargain and then find that it won't work or do what she wants  ::)

Over to you experts  :-\

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: I need help buying a laptop for a teenager!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
I bought my laptop from PC World last year and it came wireless enabled, it has a router built in, I think most of them probably do now. Mine is a Toshiba one, it was in one of the sales they're always advertising on tv and I haven't had any problems with it at all. It came with Windows Vista which I've kept but I think I preferred XP. I got Word, Excel etc. from a friend who has the discs.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:29:37 PM »
If you don't already have a "wireless" adaptor for your home, then you will need to buy one of those, to plug your wireless cable into in order for her to access the internet wireless'ly. A wireless (WiFi) enabled laptop can also access WiFi points in places like Starbucks and McDonlands - some are free, and others have a hourly or daily fee. Security is important - your home Wireless network, and her laptop need to be encrypted to prevent them being hijacked and used for nefarious purposes  ::)

As a student, she will be entitled to buy a cheap (and legal) version of Microsoft Office.....if you share disks, then you won't get the security updates etc and she could lose it just when she needs it most  ph34r

This site is a good place to start for basic explainations:
http://www.broadband.co.uk/wireless-broadband.jsp
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:38:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I may need to employ a techie to come to the house and make it happen!  I'm fine with computers so long as they do as I tell them - this all sounds a bit too much for an oldie  :lol2:

I would still like more opinions about the laptop though?  What is considered a good make?  What is the best bargain (again cheap is the way I need to go)  ::)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:18:51 AM »
When I was looking for mine the options seemed to be Toshiba (which I got), Dell, HP, Advent, Sony and Compaq. From what I could tell in the price range and spec I was looking at there wasn't a huge amount of difference between them, I'm not into gaming or downloading loads of stuff, I just wanted a wireless enabled one for surfing the net and forums so although there were flashier ones available I didn't need an all singing all dancing job. If I'd wanted to spend more money I'd probably have gone for a Dell as that's what my work lappys always are and I like them but I like the one I got too, it's not given me any hassle which is about as much as I ask for in a computer! This is the link to it on the PC World site although I got it cheaper than this in the sale...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2079993850.1207695778@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadedkfkhhdjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=718064&category_oid=

I've always put Microsoft Office onto my computers using shared discs (skint students, I think the one set of discs went around the entire campus  :005:) and although I by no means encourage others to do it(!) I've never lost anything and I had all my uni stuff on my old desktop pc including my dissertations etc.  My parents have it now and it's all still there. If you want to spend the money though you might as well buy your own copy of it, it's handy to have I think and of course, legal  :shades:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline screamingswifts

• Limited Member
  • Fargo the Scruff Butt
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
If you don't already have a "wireless" adaptor for your home, then you will need to buy one of those, to plug your wireless cable into in order for her to access the internet wireless'ly.

I'm sorry but  :005:

As an IT Engineer I deal with a lot of Dell's and have always found them to be very reliable - you can usually get some good deals on their website, especially in the outlet section... Any new laptop you buy these days will be wireless enabled, but as Rachel said you will need a wireless router at home in place of, or as well as, your existing broadband modem/router.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
I've found Acer to be the best value. Advent PC world's brand are basically crap. What ever you go for just make sure she doesn't download loads of stuff like music sharing programmes etc IMO downloads = death to computers! I also got the year extended warrenty on mine which was about £109 but when it got dropped in Dec and the screen cracked they have fixed it for free, pretty much no questions. It would have been for the bin without that, the cost of repair too high and frankly I couldn't afford it at the time. If she will be carting it about i'd really recommend it.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
OH bought an Acer from Tesco.  He used it for his work when he was self employed and it was a great computer. 
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline dylan

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 02:48:45 PM »
i have a dell and is always crashing, thought was a software problem so wiped the computer and started again, it didnt solve the problem. took it to get fixed and never crashed in the 2 weeks the guy had it, very strange. it hasnt done it since (touch wood)  :005: The guy in the repair shop said the acer was really good and is very popular and reliable. my cousin has one and has has no problems with hers .
Tina and Dylan

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »

As a student, she will be entitled to buy a cheap (and legal) version of Microsoft Office.....if you share disks, then you won't get the security updates etc and she could lose it just when she needs it most  ph34r

Rachel, can you tell me how to go about buying software on a student licence please.
Emily has just got a MacBook & needs to have either Office or word.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

Rachel, can you tell me how to go about buying software on a student licence please.

I got Office cheaper as I'm a student (home based courses etc) don't think I had to prove it or anything to be honest! Don't think it was a great deal cheaper either really.

We've had Packard Bell, Advent and HP laptops, the latter being what I use these days. Never had huge problems with any other than with the software to be honest! Love my HP laptop which is better spec than my desktop, it has been back to PC World a couple of times (1st time for new motherboard in November) but then I use this laptop nearly all day most days so have to expect a few problems. I think you need to look at the usage side of things to decide which laptop is best. I would avoid Packard Bell in the future personally but wouldn't say no to Advent and would deffo get another HP laptop in the future.

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 06:54:49 PM »
I have had four Advents over nine years - two laptops and two PCs.   The only reason for change was to upgrade the spec.

This is the latest that I am keeping an eye on for price - I'm hoping it will reduce in the sales.  (I want a higher spec than the one I've got.)

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1448090953.1207763498@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgeadedkjfddehcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=903405&category_oid=-29953

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »

If she has a .ac.uk e-mail address through school/college, then she is entitled to buy a copy for £39  :D
http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/

This offer ends this month though   ;)

There are other places that sell "Education Licenses" too, there is a list on the Microsoft website, and they are about £50 a copy  :D
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/buy/licensing/buying.mspx
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I may need to employ a techie to come to the house and make it happen!  I'm fine with computers so long as they do as I tell them - this all sounds a bit too much for an oldie  :lol2:
quote]

Really, it's not that difficult.  We have sky broadband (not the best but its ok for our purposes).  We got the router from them.  This plugs into your phone line.  It comes with a disc to load broadband onto your computer and has step by step instructions.  You also get a securty code to stop other users accesssing your internet.  So long as your computer is wireless enabled that should be all you have to do. I'm sure all broadband providers operate a similar set up. I'm an oldie too but it all went fairly smoothly.  good luck  :blink:

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »
What ever you go for just make sure she doesn't download loads of stuff like music sharing programmes etc IMO downloads = death to computers!

She does download stuff - that's why my trusty 8 yr old PC is gasping its last  ph34r

Once she has her laptop she'll be banned from the main PC - any repair bills for her laptop can come out of her EMA grant  ;)

I'll look at the makes of laptops that you've all recommended and try and get the best for my meagre budget!  She will need a laptop for college (according to her) so her birthday is a good way of saving money in the long run  ;)