Author Topic: Wifi Internet connection keeps cutting out  (Read 3747 times)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Wifi Internet connection keeps cutting out
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Does anyone have this problem? I'm supplied by Talk Talk via the phone line as there isn't cable in the area. My wifi is a nightmare >:D
It's constantly cutting out, I keep having local access only rather than internet  >:D

I've put a new filter on phone line, we only have one wired phone plugged in, and have the choice of 2 routers. It doesn't matter which router is used, the same cutting in / cutting out happens.

Am having to use my Vodaphone dongle most evenings to have net access. 

The network keeps disappearing, then suddenly reappears and takes ages to log back in.  The laptop is only about 6 ft away from the router, so is this a signal fault?

It seems more common at 'busy' times, it's as though the exchange can't cope with the volume of users at peak times.

Am considering a new broadband supplier, but if it is an exchange problem, will prob have the same issue again  >:D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline allylou

Re: Wifi Internet connection keeps cutting out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »
unfortunately i can't help but i do sympathise as i have the same problem with the cutting in and out. I have not been able to work out the problem (although i have spent far too many hours trying too) so i have disconnected the router for now and gone back to a line. It is very frustrating  >:(

I will be very interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions.  :blink:
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:58:26 PM »
Hi there as it happens my hubby unfortantly for him  :005: works for talk talk on the 2nd line wifi department . Local only usually indicates that you are connected wirelessly to the router but connection to the internet is not present (vista can develope issues where this happens also ) From the info given sounds like the line might be loosing sync at peak times , when it happens does the ADSL light (or DSL light ) depending on the router inuse flash or go off ? Really would need to run a line check on your line but not back in work till wednesday and would need your phone number If you would like him to do that probably best to PM me . PS has this only started happening in the last couple of weeks because there has been a few system updates inrelation to the way ADSL signal is managed .

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:04:15 AM »
Maria Have sent you a PM  :D (yes it was sent 3 am, but that's when the internet is available  :005:)

Would be fab if he could investigate for me, as I have had very little luck with the tech support people, especially as it is an intermitent fault.

Sam
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »
I have this problem occassionally and find that if I go into the router settings and change the channel from time to time (rather than leaving it on the factory default) then usually sorts the problem out.  Works for me and I hope it helps you out  :D
Elaine & Mason X

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
I have this problem occassionally and find that if I go into the router settings and change the channel from time to time (rather than leaving it on the factory default) then usually sorts the problem out.  Works for me and I hope it helps you out  :D

You are assuming some IT knowledge here!!  :005: :005: :005:

OH (who lives 10 miles away) despairs  :005: :005: :005:
He is a software programmer and like writing iPhone apps as a hobby! Where as I just kill pooters!! ph34r

They do say opposites attract!  :005: :005: :005:

Maria's OH is on the case for me!!

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:08:19 PM »
Yes!!!!!!

I am with Talk Talk and am wifi and I'm having a nightmare senario with it today (and yesterday).  It was fine early this morning but by late morning I couldn't get a connection and when I do manage a connection it keeps failing to load emails and generally making me want to rip my hair out by the roots!!

I rang Talk Talk and a lovely Indian man smooth talked me with questions which I made up the answers to until I could stand no more and 'accidently cut him off'  :005:  ph34r

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »
There's another thread about this problem but with BT too  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »
I don't know if this will be of any help  :huh: but, I've been having similar problems with Tiscali and they have sent me the following reply!

''  Thank you for contacting Tiscali Technical Support.

I understand from your email that recently you are unable to access Internet or it disconnects for no apparent reasons.

I apologise for the inconvenience this has been caused to you.

I would like to assure you that we would assist you with the best possible information.

There are multiple causes to this issue that you are experiencing:

- Incorrect physical set up,
- Line fault (including high noise levels),
- Equipment failure (modem/filter),
- The presence of some equipment close to the modem that is interfering with the broadband signals.

I would suggest you to perform the following steps in sequence, as these steps will help us to identify the cause of this issue, in case the issue persists. I request you to perform these steps in sequence, even if you have performed them once.

Note: It might take 30 to 60 minutes to perform all the steps, presented in this email.

% Step 1 % Check the Idle Disconnect Timeout settings :
To start with, I request you to visit the following link that will ensure that the Broadband disconnection timeout settings, if left idle:
https://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=75&p_created=1132746339

% Step 2 % Refresh the IP address and check the necessary settings on the computer :
You can now perform the following steps that will help you to check some of the settings of the PC:
https://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=253&p_created=1134042807

% Step 3 % Check the Cable Setup :
You can now visit the following link that will help you check the basic setup of the cables:
https://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=65&p_created=1132745289

The correct physical setup for the broadband connection by ensuring the cables & filters has been connected as follows:

1. Modem to Telephone line: The Modem should be connected to the telephone line via the male-to-male RJ11 Data cable, supplied to you.
2. Cable to DSL Filter: The RJ11 cable should be connected to the female RJ11 socket at the back of the DSL filter.
The cable should be plugged in directly to the BT - installed wall socket.
3. Length of cable: The recommended length should be less then 10 meters and the type of the cable should be male-to-male RJ11.
If you need cables of different lengths you can purchase them at the Tiscali website via this link:
http://www.tiscali.dslshop.co.uk/accessories.asp
4. Other Equipment: All other equipment attached to the phone line must be through a filter.
Example: digital set top boxes, alarm systems, surge protectors, and dialer Boxes

% Step 4 % Check for the items that interfere with ADSL signals :
While you are checking the cable setup, make sure to check for the items that interfere with ADSL signals. You can visit the following link to know more on this:
https://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=77&p_created=1132746459

% Step 5 % If issue still persists, then troubleshooting steps based on the lights of the modem :
After verifying the basic setup, if the issue persists then you can visit the following link to troubleshoot the issue based on the lights on the modem:
https://uk-tiscali.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uk_tiscali.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=27&p_created=1132737597

The above document will also help you to reinstall the modem drivers, if the steps presented in the beginning do not resolve the issue.

Moreover, if issue still persists, I would request you to write back to us with the following information that will help us find a solution for this issue. And with the help of this information we will escalate your issue to the concerned department to resolve your issue at the earliest.

1) Are you using a router or a modem ? (Make and model of the router/modem )
2) Do you need to dial the connection again after you are disconnected from internet or are you connected automatically ?
3) Is there any particular pattern in disconnections or what is the frequency of disconnections ?
4) What is the status of the lights if you are using a modem.
5) Are you connected at main BT socket or extension socket and are you using any extension cable ?
6) Are there any additional devices attached to the line for example, printer, fax machine or scanners. etc.

Our fault management team will investigate the case and update you in this regard. Hence provide the following.
7) Best time to contact & the mobile number/contact details. Alternate email address.

This information will be useful when we investigate your problem.

Please keep us updated on the current status of this issue with the test results of the troubleshooting steps that you performed.

Regards,

Tiscali Technical Support ''

I have not yet attempted to follow the suggestions as I think I'll need an hour or two spare  ::)

Offline Ellie

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:15:33 PM »
When I started reading the post above (I won't quote it, it's too big!), I thought it was a joke and scrolled to the end for the punchline  :005:  ,  but no, they are serious  :o  , I'd need go and get a prescription for a valium to be able to spend an hour doing that, am I the only one here who suffers from 'techo-rage'?  :lol2:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
Showed the OH and all he said was he's done all that and it still doesn't work  ::)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 06:56:26 AM »
When I started reading the post above (I won't quote it, it's too big!), I thought it was a joke and scrolled to the end for the punchline  :005:  ,  but no, they are serious  :o  , I'd need go and get a prescription for a valium to be able to spend an hour doing that, am I the only one here who suffers from 'techo-rage'?  :lol2:

Or how about they supply the service I'm paying for!!!  ph34r

Offline dazla

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 04:33:13 AM »
Join Virgin.

Sorry but getting any telco to admit to there being a problem in the Last Mile is a nightmare. Could be a problem with the hardware in the local exchange, water in a junction box, the line running into your house....

I normally recommend using an ethernet cable first rather than wifi for testing purposes, rebooting everything. Finding the BT master box and removing the face plate and plugging directly in to it, try another filter, pc, mess about with mtu sizes, yada yada yada.

Then scream and join virgin- they aren't perfect but it is a much newer network.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 07:52:57 PM »
If you have two routers and they are both wireless they are probably interfering with each other - turn one off and see if the situation improves. alternately it could be that a neighbours router is interfering with yours - they all come set to the same channel, changing the channel to another can sometimes help

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »
Am only using the one router, but service in the evenings is patchy to say the least. One of the COL members works for TT and did some techie stuff on the phone line, but the last week has been terrible again  >:D
Am considering sky or o2 at the mo.