Author Topic: Photo backup  (Read 1190 times)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Photo backup
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:13 AM »
After SkyeSue's recent experience over losing 2 years worth of photos, can I urge COLers not to rely on discs as backup.
I saw a recent computer programme where it said that discs have a limited shelf life (maybe five years) before the information is corrupted.
5 years may seem a long time, but if photos are very special (ie weddings, anniversaries etc) you want them forever  :D
Much better to store your photos on an external hard drive or be very strict and put them on disc again after a few years.
In the past I have always stored my photos on discs but have since changed as I couldn't bear to lose my precious photos of dogs past and present.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Photo backup
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:09:39 AM »
It's really stupid of me, but despite my experience of loosing so many photos last year due to a virus, I STILL don't routinely back up the files.  However I have made note on my "jobs for this weekend" to reinstall the back up drive that was in the old computer into this one so that I can easily back up at least weekly.  It was the only thing that came out unscathed from my last computer crash  :shades:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »
Not that I'm paranoid, but I have an extra internal hard drive where I store photos only AND I also copy them to my external drive  :005:

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »
I was always rubbish at backing up until I got one of these:

http://www.clickfree.com/products_portable_backup.php

You just plug it in (no software to install), and it goes through and works out which files need backing up and does it all.  You can use it on multiple computers too.  :D

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
I was always rubbish at backing up until I got one of these:

http://www.clickfree.com/products_portable_backup.php

You just plug it in (no software to install), and it goes through and works out which files need backing up and does it all.  You can use it on multiple computers too.  :D

Thanks AnnieA - that was what I meant to order about two months ago and then forgot which one it was!!!!  Will order that this weekend!
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
Funny enough I've just bought an external hard drive to put all my photos on - 320gigs and it's tiny! It has backup software in it too :blink:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »
Thanks for that i am going to put it my my Christmas list  :005:
is it too soon to have a Christmas list  :huh:
oh well just started mine  :luv: