Author Topic: Dog snapping at me when trying to groom him  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Gazrob

Dog snapping at me when trying to groom him
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
Hi I've got a question. My dog snapped at me for the first time yesterday he's nearly 3 years old. I was grooming him and when I try to groom the knotted long hair on his back legs around his private parts he bit me not very hard though and he barked which he's never done before. Is it because it might be hurting him, he doesn't like it or maybe something more serious? He doesn't like his front legs brushed much either however he tolerates that.

Offline TirelessTitch

Re: Dog snapping at me when trying to groom him
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:48:30 AM »
Sounds as if you may have hurt him pulling a tangle. I'd keep an eye in case there is some reason he was a bit more tender than normal for some reason - or maybe you were in a rush!
Titch does turn and mouth me when I'm dealing with tangles and knots, it must be very uncomfortable at times. If yours isn't generally snappy I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like a natural reaction to suddenly being hurt.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
That what I was thinking as he's never snapped at me before. He's generally a friendly little chap. I don't think it's anything serious. His ears get knotted sometimes and he doesn't mind me brushing them as much. I'll try and be gentler with him and see what happens.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »
Mines normally a happy friendly chap as well, until I start to brush him. He then makes noises and tries to get me to stop.
This is because its not nice for him to have a knot and i'm trying to brush it out, I think it pulls his skin and fur. However it needs to be done as it will cause him further issues if I were to leave it.
I tend to get a treat and hold on to that whilst i'm brushing him, he will then sit patiently with the odd strange noise. But he is happy in the end as he gets a lovely treat.

Its a horrible task but its a needed one.

Good luck

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 04:05:39 PM »
I keep the hair trimmed around Dylan's dangly bits, it must be very tender around there, just think if it were you (ouch!). Also, a grooming spray is very useful when there is a tangle, especially on the ears. The silicone helps the comb tease it out without pulling.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:14:55 PM »
I use a wide toothed comb to start with and try to hold the hair between two fingers as near to the skin as possible just to support it and and help stop it pulling the skin. Humphrey‘d let  me brush his ears all day, he goes all gooey eyed!  :lol2: but the nearer I get to the other end, the jumpier he becomes!
Biggest problem for me is getting him to stand up - as soon as he‘d on the table he sits and then lies down and I just cannot get him to stay standing! Consequently, he‘s always got a good and a bad side, depending on which bits I‘ve managed to groom! (Lots of hints gone out for a proper grooming table, so I‘m hoping Santa Paws is listening!! :lol2:)

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm going to get some spray. I've also been using my fingers today instead of a brush. He tried to nip me today but I was ready. He doesn't seem to mind my fingers it's just the brush he really hates. I'm going to see how much a professional grooming would cost.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
For dangly bits, undercarriage, paw trimming, knots round goolies etc I have Jack 'play dead' on the floor  between my outstretched legs and use fingers only at first to very gently tease out.  Then a wide toothed comb.  Once a week seems to keep him tangle free.  Daily combing otherwise (brushing doesn't get down past the top coat), especially ears and especially in wet weather.   

Can recommend Wahl detangler/conditioner (smells nice too) and get yourself a rotating tooth comb which is much gentler than fixed teeth.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »
When mine get knotty I sometimes use conditioner instead of grooming detangler spray. It makes the hair very slippery and you have to clean it away afterwards but it does the job.

Morgan is my hairier dog and he often lies on his back when he's beside me on the sofa and I can reach into my sewing bag for the embroidery scissors and manage to trim his special bits.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope