Author Topic: Worlds smelliest breath ever, any advice .......please!!!!!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
Worlds smelliest breath ever, any advice .......please!!!!!
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
Hi all,

I putting this post out in desperation, as my dogs breath currently reeks!!!!  :020:
It's always been a bit bad to be honest but it's the kind of thing you get used to I suppose, but yesterday I was playing with another dog at our training school and realised how much worse our dogs was to theirs.
  I have fed her for the last 6 months on Eukanuba dermatosis FP, which is a vet diet product my vet recommended when she had a bad tummy upset caused by a bacterial infection.  This cleared up quickly with antibiotics and the food really seemed to suit her so we just stuck with it really.  Poos great, coat lovely, and the food is hypoallergenic and fish based, with starch from potato rather than any cereals so I figured as dried foods go it was as good a choice as any.   Before this we tried orijen, but to be honest it didn't suit as I think the protein levels were a little high for her, and I struggled a bit with her having runny poo's.
  I am very lucky in so far that she has a bit of a cast iron stomach otherwise so can pretty much eat all treats/chews etc so she does get a fair bit of this type of stuff especially as she is training all the time (only a year old and in the "teenage phase") so I am sure this isn't helping so will aim to reduce this to one or two things and try and eliminate anything obvious.
I don't think its her anal glands as she usually "bum scoots" when this is a problem.

Any suggestions on things that could improve the situation, was going to try digestive enzymes to see if this helps, and have tried some of the dentastix to see if that helps but not sure what else to try.......

Ps - teeth and lip folds also fine, checked those too just in case

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Worlds smelliest breath ever, any advice .......please!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:13:15 AM »
A fortunate side effect we found of using Billy No mates (tick and flea preventative) was that it really improved Kooki's (dragon slayer) breath.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »
How about the fish skin treats from either Fish4Dogs or SeaTreats (used to be Mariners Choice - & they have 10% offer at the mo to celebrate new name too) Minstrel had smelly breath at one time and this is what vet suggested to clean the back teeth and better than stressing him (and me) trying to clean them.

Here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.fish4dogs.com/                          Free Delivery from these folk

http://seatreats.co.uk/     

ps I ordered some of the fishskin bones from these people but they are much too large for my dogs mouths and way too big for them to eat in one go. So I am returning them and they are sending me the fish fingers instead. The upside is they do smaller amounts so you can buy say 1kilo of 1 item and 1 of another and still get free delivery if order totals £30 or more.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:15:12 PM »
Beau had extremely smelly breath soon after Chrismas, no other symptoms, I mean the type of breath that would knock an elephant over at 10 yards !
We changed diet but no effect so after a few days off to the vet.  Vet diagnosed a Lipfold infection, so antibiotics for 3 weeks and much Hibiscrubbing, Fuciderm cream and tooth brushing.  Still not fully resolved after the 3 weeks so sample sent to lab for analysis, came back as Pseudomonas bacteria.  Correct antibiotic for another 3 weeks and it was still not gone.
Vet suggested Manuka Honey and stop the Hibiscrub,  and it cleared after 3 days.
If it ever comes back he will need the Lipfold 'nip and tuck' ,  so fingers crossed.
I would certainly get the vet to check it out.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:48:36 PM »
I agree with the suspicion of lip fold infection , and hibiscrub. In an older dog you would suspect gum/ tooth infection, but that's unlikely in a one year old.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline carol pearson

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
That's interesting that tenailles vet suggested manuka honey. I use manuka honey a lot and have treated  eczema on my legs. I decided to try it on my dogs lip fold infection and it worked.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
The vet did say that they have successfully used Manuka Honey before,  seems to work best in conjunction with the specific antibiotic for hard to shift resistant bacteria like Pseudamonas.  It is also important to note that 15+ or better grade is needed, and its not cheap at around £30 for a small pot.  Important to keep everything very clean as these particular bacteria can transfer to people.