Author Topic: Frozen food ...???  (Read 3730 times)

Offline rubyduby

Frozen food ...???
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »
My 5 month old girl is being extremely fussy on her food, and I am having to change her food daily to try t tempt her, one minute she wants home cooked, then tinned then raw, she is driving me mad and she isn't putting weight on, whatever she eats isn't enough, she walks away when I offer food, and am struggling even hand feeding, she is lively and bright , my concern now is that she will only eat the frozen raw cubes,...frozen....! When I defrost them she wont touch them, but pesters for the cubes from the freezer, I give them to her and she crunches on them happily, (she is teething) but I noticed her shivering today and I a concerned that these could cubes cannot be good for her tum...any suggestions, I will try to get them out nd maybe semi-defrost t see if that works, but they always seem either frozen or raw depending on the abient temperature and short of standing over them for 3-4 hrs not sure how I can do it

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Frozen food ...???
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
Bea would only eat Raw frozen or semi frozen, sloppy food is not her thing !

If she likes the cubes then can you get them out 30 mins or so before she eats it, that way there should still be plenty of texture for her ?

I was told by a Raw shop owner that her teeth wouldn't bed in until around the age of 2 ,  2 and a half , we put it down to that and she happily ate her food from then on  :luv:

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
Yes I have tried semi- defrosting and show wouldn't have them, just worried they are chilling her, maybe I will need to give her less more often so that by the end of the day she has had a reasonable number

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »
How long will she put up with refusing?  I have only had this problem when my springer had to have nasty tasting  medicine put in her food. She was ill desperately hungry, but wouldn’t touch it until changed to capsules.
 Is there something wrong with her mouth,eg ulcers at the back, or something stuck in her teeth?  I wondered if she like the cold ice because it doesn’t  irritate?
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »
Yes well she is teething, but it amazes me how she can comp on pine cones, plastic bottles you name it, yet her food is taken with delicacy and reluctance

Offline Toofast

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »
Do you mind if I ask how many times a day you are feeding her, and what is her total daily amount that she is managing to eat.  :embarassed:

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »
I was feeding her 3 times a day, but nw she wont eat much breakfast , better at lunchtime and less in the evening so I do try to give her a little supper to make up for it. She is only interested in rice, a bit of mince, cottage cheese and raw tripe?? this varies with chicken and sweet potato, one day she will like it then the next not. She tends to graze ie go back several times to her dish, but this is problematic because it means having to keep the other dog away , and this seems to make Amber wary and she wont go nnear the food for a while..I wouldn't like to say how much she is having as it really is only bits and bats, today she had 3/4 of a small dish for lunch but it varies enormously on what she will eat

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »
Here’s a weird suggestion. One of my rescues was feral, or at least living rough  for a long time, before being picked up as a matted rug.  The rescue (Greek), fattened them with added pasta. When she got to the uk, she wouldn’t eat.  Then I read about fear of bowls, and to throw her food bit by bit on the floor, which she scoffed up .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »
I have eventually managed to suss her out, she has decided out of the two she prefers raw to cooked wet food, so that's a start, also I recall a comment by the breeder saying she fed them wet food then left down kibble for them to graze, so my thoughts are...she is wanting to graze, when she is ravenous she WILL eat most immediately otherwise I leave it down for 15 minutes and she will come and go eating small amounts, whatever isn't eaten I take up, we seem to have reached an understanding , so hopefully onward and upward

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
Is she's refusing her food take it away and offer it at the next meal time. Don't keep changing foods. Eventually she will eat. She won't starve herself.