Author Topic: Concerned about puppy's weight. Is she too thin?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline TheCecchiniFamily

Concerned about puppy's weight. Is she too thin?
« on: June 03, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
Hello - we have an 8 week old female( Queenie) who is 1.8kgs and seems a little thin, can see just ribs and pelvis  etc. she's very happy it seems but Im am concerend that she's under weight. Guides say 3 to 3.6kgs which is double.

She was quite small compared to the boys in the litter but not the runt. Her mum was quite compact too. We are on 150grams per day of Eukanuba puppy food spread out over 3 meals a day.

Just after a little advice before we have a vets app on monday for a check up  and registration.

Kind thanks in advance

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Concerned about puppy's weight. Is she too thin?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:12:53 PM »
Certainly sounds on the thin side. Thing is feeding guides are only guides. Same as body weight charts. There are pictures /diagrams on Internet that will give you a idea on what shape she should be as to fat coverage. My 9 year old only weighs 9kg but she is compact. Personally I would increase her food intake and also is her worming up to date
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline PennyB

Re: Concerned about puppy's weight. Is she too thin?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
Cockers can vary though as I had small cockers so their final weight as an adult was about 10-11 kg and my current show type cocker is 9 years old and she is about 10-11kg yet Jasper my working type cocker is 16kg (age 5 but he is quite muscular and muscle weighs heavier than fat anyway)

Its much better if you can see them gaining weight rather than losing so don't worry as guides aren't always that useful and some foods while good for them don't always help with weight gain. I wouldn't worry too much for now as long as your pup is well the weight will sort itself out (I was told by a vet one of mine was too thin and trouble is while he's not huge I would like to get a little weight off him and that is proving much harder)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!