Author Topic: Am I doing it right? Changed Food  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Potter

• Site Member
Am I doing it right? Changed Food
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »
I have Daisy, 12 weeks, who came to me 4 weeks ago on Pedigree Puppy dry food, on which we pour boiling water, leave to swell and then feed as appropriate.  She has 4 meals a day, 160 grams (when dry) in total.

Due to comments and advice on this site, over the past 10 days, I have slowly changed her onto Burns.  Again, mixing up in the same way.  Sometimes I add cooked chicken, tuna, scrambled egg in with different meals - not a lot, just a taste, and she loves it all.

I keep watching to see if she's less hyper - though she was never particularly mad to begin with.  She used to be slightly mad after eating - I called it "re-fuelled".  Now, we don't have that, which is fine.  Other than that, I can't see a huge difference in her.  But she does eat all her Burns down in one go, whereas with Pedigree she was picky and back and forth to the bowl - which I removed after 15 mins, regardless.  But I was throwing quite a bit away by doing so.

Am I feeding her correctly for her age with the Burns?   It states 1-5kgs puppies (she's 4.4kgs) 50 - 100 grams a day.  I have tentatively tried to miss out one of her 4 meals, but she does so love them all and 100grams just wasn't filling her.  She's not a plump pup - has a waist, and I can feel her ribs.  She's quite a small and slender pup - one of the smallest in the litter.

Having made the change to Burns, I just want to be sure I'm feeding her properly.

Sorry if this seems an obvious and stupid question, but I've no one else to ask.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Am I doing it right? Changed Food
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:55:39 PM »
The feeding amounts suggested on food bags are really only a guide - some pups need more and some less than the stated amounts. It's better to feed using your eyes and hands to tell you whether your pup is just right or a little too fat or too thin.

I would just mention that you shouldn't put boiling water onto dry dog kibble - it can destroy the vitamin content. Turn off the kettle before it boils - you want the water to be hotter than tepid but never boiling ;)
Jane

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »
Oh dear, I didn't know that about boiling water.  THANK YOU!  Will do.

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:57:48 PM »
I put some boiled water in a cup and then add cold to get it just right, and usually it is tepid, but I guess as long as the kibble swells it is ok.  Well done for switching her to Burns, we have just been through the same (although Fern is 2) and I am so relieved that she enjoys it.  It can take a few months to see a difference.  I have been told to make sure she has some of her meals dry, as this is good for the teeth, so maybe when you add the yummy stuff leave off the water (or you may be doing this already).  I give fern moist Burns on its own in the morning and then give it to her dry with some naturediet in the evening.  Yum yum  :lol:
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »
Thanks Caro - no I didn't know that.  Will certainly try it.  It's lovely to learn all these things. ;)

We have noticed that she is calmer in the evenings - when she used to have a mad, bitey time - but she is only 12 weeks (today), and seems to be changing all the time, so difficult to fully analyse accurately right now!   :luv: