Author Topic: Harry is still tiny and getting smaller....  (Read 708 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Harry is still tiny and getting smaller....
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »
I know i have posted before and there is no real set weight for cockers as they vary so much, but Harry is now 16 months and not really filling out much at all. 
Before we went on holiday he weighed 11.5kg now we have come back he is down to 10.8kg, I guess this is down to doing a lot more exercise on the beach etc than he would normally get at home, but he looks quite thin.  He is on Burns adult the same as Ben and I also add raw mince, raw veg etc most days.  He was on Wainwrights but that didn't seem to make any difference.  Could he just be a late maturer ( his is still such a puppy in other ways) or can I give him anything extra to top him up and help him put on a bit of weight.

He is healthy and fit so in all other ways so not worried about his health, but don't like to see him so skinny  :lol2:
it looks worse as Ben is a 'healthy' 13.5kg so when they are out together Harry looks like the poor relation :005:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Harry is still tiny and getting smaller....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
You could be describing my Harry there  :005:
I've been feeding him one meal a day of tripe, which hasn't made any difference.
I had a groomer come who used to breed cockers & she said he'll probably be 2 or 3 before he fills out, although she did recommend frolic to use as treats.   Harry is quite long bodied too so looks totally different to Max, infact poor Max now looks overweight next to Harry  :005:
Harry was at the vets for his vaccinations & the vet said he's perfect  :luv: but like you I'd like to see just a little bit more weight on him.  Anybody that knows him knows he just doesn't stop & says that's probably why he's so skinny  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »
Louis is a bit like that at the moment too. He's 13 months, weighs about 12.5 kilos and sometimes looks skinny, whereas 6 year old William, same height, weighs about 13.8 kilos and looks absolutely right.

Both have Burns in the morning and raw food (Natural Instinct) in the evening, plus a variety of training treats. Louis gets about 30gms more Burns than William and about 30gms more Natural Instinct too. I've just increased it to that in the last week and can see a difference.

I'm sure it's just an age thing as Louis is fit and healthy and expends a lot of energy. At this sort of age they've reached full height but still need to body up. Some do that quicker than others but I don't expect Louis to look fully mature for a while yet (and as far as his brain goes, who knows, could be a very long wait)  :lol2: :lol2:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
Could he just be a late maturer ( his is still such a puppy in other ways)

I don't expect Louis to look fully mature for a while yet (and as far as his brain goes, who knows, could be a very long wait)  :lol2: :lol2:

:005:

Harry is still Very much a puppy too  :005: Maybe this has something to do with it  :005:

Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »
Clovers 8 months and only 9kgs I think Ive got a small one. Lol.

Shes always been quite round and pot bellyed (despite being wormed) so Ive never really worried about her being under weight as for her size she looked abit large. I guess they all come in different shapes and size  :005:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much, some lines are smaller (thinner looking) than others. Mine are like that and I noticed that come 2 yrs they all started to pad out a bit.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
Someone pointed out the other day that you don't see dogs in vets for being slightly underweight, if all is normal then it may be just how Harry is... I have a 23.5kg boy with me at the minute and that is when you have to worry....