Author Topic: Rawhide chews etc  (Read 6499 times)

Offline mooching

Rawhide chews etc
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »
I had always given rawhide chews to previous dogs, because that's what my parents had done, and we kind of just took it as "normal", but when we got Alfie (as a pup), and asked our vet about rawhide chews, she pulled a face and said definitely not to give them to pups under a year old and preferably not at all. (And also said not to give pigs ears as they can cause pancreatitis).

The main reason was the risk of throat or even intestinal blockages (especially in pups), which have been known to cause death. I was stunned because I had never thought of this before. But then I read the same thing here from a few posters.

I also read elsewhere that another problem with rawhide chews, especially those from China, is that often the source of the rawhide is not stated, and has been found in some cases to be hide from animals other than cows (eg dogs and cats).

So Alfie doesn't have rawhide chews at all.

In a recent thread in another folder, someone mentioned giving a chew to their 6 month old pup and also their dog. I stated my concern over the pup (and even possibly the dog) having a chew, if the chew was rawhide, but then had this questioned by two posters and was told by one of them:

so as long as they a) are supervised while having rawhide and b) don't have any ill effects and have raw hide chews in moderation I don't see the problem at all

So, rather than take that thread off-topic, I thought I'd start a thread here to ask everyone's opinion on rawhide chews, whether you give them to your dogs or whether you don't, and why. Also it might be helpful to know if there are some rawhide chews that you think are safer than others, and also from what age you think it's ok to give them.

Offline Pip895

Re: Rawhide chews etc
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
I feed Saffi 3 or 4/week of the cigar type minty chews from PAH  and always have from about 6months - They take her about 1/2 hour to eat - so called dental chews are gone in seconds.  She doesn't seem to like the bigger pressed type of rawhide chew much (they get buried) + these are the ones where you have to be concerned about the ingredients I think. 

I have always assumed that "rawhide" has to come from cloven hoofed animals - cows/Buffalo etc.  so I go for ones that are 100% rawhide.

Saffis method of consumption has never given me cause for concern - she doesn't tear big lumps off and swallow them or anything.  She also won't touch them (or stuffed kongs) if I'm not around, so the unsupervised bit isn't a problem.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:13:34 PM »
I also read elsewhere that another problem with rawhide chews, especially those from China, is that often the source of the rawhide is not stated, and has been found in some cases to be hide from animals other than cows (eg dogs and cats).

I never do for the reason you have stated above.

I challenge you to find a rawhide in pets at home that does not come from China  ::)

Billy has raw bones for a treat ( when I'm at home, I never leave him alone with one) and sometimes frozen  kongs whilst I'm out.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
I don't really give them for several reasons: around here they cause fights, and I had a dog who twice I had to do a heimlich-type thing as he had a piece stuck in his throat. It was really awful, he was not breathing, his eyes were rolling back in his head; I was afraid if I didn't get it out in time I would lose him  :'( If you try to reach down their throats to get the piece, it is so slimy and slippery you cant get hold of it  :-\

When I was buying them I would only buy the ones that said natural unbleached, and only if they were made in US,  Argentina or Europe (never from China or Asia!). If they are really white, as opposed to a cream tea colour, the rawhide has been soaked in chlorine bleach, same type (but stronger!) than household laundry bleach!

That said, I don't think they are all bad, just use caution with them. if I had a young puppy (and no adults to steal toys and treats!) I would give rawhide, but only under supervision. Take them up if you aren't there. Get one that is slightly larger than the puppy or dogs size would dictate. When it gets down to a nub, toss it so there is no temptation to try to swallow it  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »
I give all my dogs the small twist type rawhide chews. They are only given under supervision due to the potential choking hazard. There have never been any I'll effects from them, they help keep my dogs teeth clean and in this house they are low value so they never cause any squabbles!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
Weve never given Nell rawhide chews, we always give her raw bones.
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 02:49:13 PM »
I more often give the ostrich/venison etc. chews from Zooplus but I also give Rodaidh and Caoimhe rawhide chews occasionally, they both enjoy them and they've never had a problem with them. Tilly isn't allowed them because of her illness but she wasn't hugely keen on them anyway. I sometimes buy the flat HiLife ones that come in a tub which usually get chomped straight away and sometimes the twisted knot bone type ones which last for ages. I don't leave them lying around if I'm not there and I bin them once they've been chewed down to a small piece. As was also said on that other thread a dog could choke on anything and they don't pull big lumps off them and try to swallow them so I'm not particularly concerned about that. I'd have more concern about Caoimhe choking on her normal food which she inhales ::) I don't give them pigs' ears because they give Rodaidh the runs but they have had venison ears from Burns which went down pretty well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »
I'd have more concern about Caoimhe choking on her normal food which she inhales ::)

Sounds like Billy  ::) He won't chew his food he just stuffs it in his mouth and swallows it as though the world is about to come to an end  ::)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »
I'd have more concern about Caoimhe choking on her normal food which she inhales ::)

Sounds like Billy  ::) He won't chew his food he just stuffs it in his mouth and swallows it as though the world is about to come to an end  ::)

Yep Caoimhe is the same, she grabs huge mouthfuls and just throws them back down her throat, it's a bit like watching a bird eating a fish by throwing it back whole :005:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »

I stopped feeding rawhide chews awhile ago, when Dylan coughed up a large piece of rawhide.  They now have Burns Venison ears which they love an occasional Saturday night treat but mostly Fish4Dogs sea jerky.   Raw chicken wings once or twice a week and raw carrott.

Offline mooching

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
I've also now read online that rawhide chews from overseas can also contain toxins that are used in the manufacturing process (eg bleach, arsenic-based preservatives).  :016:

Offline mooching

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
I more often give the ostrich/venison etc. chews from Zooplus

Nicola, I like the sound of those - can they be given to pups, do you know?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:34 PM »

Nicola, I like the sound of those - can they be given to pups, do you know?

Yes, well, I always have anyway. They're completely natural and have never given any of mine an upset stomach, both Ro and Caoimhe have had them a couple of times a week since they were pups, I just watch them while they're chewing etc. They like the ostrich tripe, meat and tendons, the venison trachea and sinews, the lamb tripe and the beef jerky and pizzles. They last a bit longer than the Fish4Dogs twists and strips which they also get (and really love) but which are gone in seconds.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 03:51:05 PM »
These are similar Manda & all of my 4 absolutely love them  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/sticks/13412
You need to order them quite quickly because they are forever going out of stock.  I have just ordered some for mine after waiting nearly 2 weeks for them to come back in stock  ::)  They are fine for puppies too.  :D

Mine do also have the rawhide chewies, but only when i can't get hold of the above chewies. Always under supervision though.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »
I gave rawhide chews to the dogs when they were pups - the flat strips, especially when they were teething.  Usually only once a week as sometimes they would upset Roly's stomach.  Even now there are odd ones that seem to upset his digestion, but for the most part they are all fine with them.
Yes, well, I always have anyway. They're completely natural and have never given any of mine an upset stomach, both Ro and Caoimhe have had them a couple of times a week since they were pups, I just watch them while they're chewing etc. They like the ostrich tripe, meat and tendons, the venison trachea and sinews, the lamb tripe and the beef jerky and pizzles. They last a bit longer than the Fish4Dogs twists and strips which they also get (and really love) but which are gone in seconds.
Will give these a try, but must admit the last batch of treats that I got from Zooplus went thru him like a dose of salts
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love