Author Topic: Have I Damaged My 6 Month Puppy?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline kobesdad

Have I Damaged My 6 Month Puppy?
« on: November 02, 2022, 07:32:37 PM »
I feel ashamed to write this but I think I might have done some psychological damage to my 6 month pup.  It started on Sunday evening when I was picking up his poop from my garden by torchlight I noticed he seemed playful with the beam which gave me the idea that with the bad weather I should look for a laser pointer for him to chase.    My intentions was good so I looked at a prime website and got one ordered the next day.  Anyway on Monday night I tested it for literally 30 seconds.  He was really intrigued by it and became fixated by it.  Anyway I noticed he spent the rest of the evening looking for the red light like in a trance this sound silly but it seemed like it had brainwashed him.  I instinctly looked up online whether it was safe to use laser pointers with dogs and the results were terrifying, that it causes OCD and anxiety etc.  Since then he has not been right especially in the evenings he is still looking for it pacing the living room kind of obsessed with wondering where the light is. He is not like this all the time just in the evenings.  I am so angry at myself if I have damaged him.  I even read the reviews on Amazon and people were saying my dog loves playing with this etc that's why I bought it.  Do you think he will soon forget or have I changed him for the worst.  Any advice would be most welcome.       

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Have I Damaged My 6 Month Puppy?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 06:36:35 AM »
Hi, I honestly cannot imagine that 30 seconds would have any lasting psychological effect, dogs can  get hooked on things, some become „ball junkies“ for example but I wouldn’t think that could happen after such a short session, My only concern with lasers would be damage to eyes etc?
Perhaps try and distract him with something else, some training or similar and see how that goes, if  your pup is still behaving strangely, then maybe a word with the vet might be adviseable.
Beware of getting panicky by everything you read online however, - there‘s some good advice but also a lot of nonsense out there, if you’re really concerned the only reliable advice can come from a vet who can examine him personally.

Offline kobesdad

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 07:16:38 PM »
Thanks so much I think a trip to the vet might be in order. I was extra careful to only focus it on the floor and not in his eyes.  I could kick myself seriously for buying that darn laser pen.  They should have a warning not to be used with dogs.  All I know is that from 30 second exposure my pup has changed it was like a switch clicked in his brain or something.  He has now become fixated on lights and shadows which he wasn't like before he saw the laser light.   

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »
I would be surprised if you did any damage in that space of time.  Agree with Bizzylizzy that an eye check may be useful, if only to put your mind at ease.  If he is searching for the light, distract him with an alternative activity, a chew, or a game with a toy to redirect his attention.

Offline kobesdad

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 08:27:32 AM »
Just to update Kobe's fixation with pacing the living room looking for the red laser light seems a lot better.  I bought a flirt pole for the living room and he and I are both enjoying playing with it.   I have noticed now that he is more interested in light and reflections in the kitchen like when I open the fridge door and the light it casts on the floor the sunlight reflecting off my mobile phone and watch etc.  Is this normal puppy development not related to the laser incident would you say?  Sorry if I am over analysing everything first time dog daddy and just was really freaked out by the laser horror stories I read online.  Thanks again for reading and providing your opinions. 

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 09:46:25 AM »
That’s ok, ;) that’s what this group is for and its natural when you get a puppy that you want to do everything right, - most of us have been there at some time or other.
Dogs are set up to follow movement so it’s understandable that light reflection, especially if it moves or suddenly gets turned on and off, will raise his interest. Try just suddenly and unexpectedly rolling a ball across the floor - I’ll bet the reaction is the same as the light, - the only difference for him is that he’ll actually find the ball, he doesn’t find anything when he follows the light so that’s what makes him keep looking..... I personally, from what you’ve said already, don’t think it has anything to do with the laser incident but rather that you have a normal, active and alert puppy.
Try and put the incident behind you, relax and enjoy your pup; if you find yourself still worrying however, then a word with the vet is the only way you’re going to put your mind at rest.
I know all about „over analyzing by the way  :lol2:, I do it all the time, - but its better than not giving a hoot, and its good that you‘re concerned for your pup‘s welfare.
Keep us updated! 😊

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »
What Bizzylizzy said.  Chances are you wouldn't have noticed how he is attracted to the fridge light, or the keeper of food being accessed, if you weren't concerned about the laser.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 09:56:03 PM »

Funnily enough I just went out in the garden with Salty and I had a torch with me.
He tears up and down trying to get that flashy animal that goes up and down the garden when I move the torch
He's always been like that, if whilst in the kitchen, my watch catches the light he's off,
Salty is 3.5 now
He's nuts, drives me nuts, and I am nuts about him
Yay!

This forum is amazing, I couldn't have survived without it (that makes having Salty sound worse than it is/was)

He is eying me now from his chin on his bed 'if you dont cuddle me soon I think I may well not be long of this world' look
I'd better go. Duty calls.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 02:12:56 PM »
He is eying me now from his chin on his bed 'if you dont cuddle me soon I think I may well not be long of this world' look
I'd better go. Duty calls.

:lol2: :lol2: Cockers have this down to a fine art! Make you feel guilty about even thinking about anything else they‘re not involved in!  :lol2: :lol2:
 :luv: :luv: :luv: