Author Topic: Final days xx  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Koslg

• Donator
Final days xx
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:57:03 PM »
How do you decide about the quality of life? Humbug has been found to have cancer in his anal glands and spine. At the moment I hate the world.

I’d say that today he showed the most of being himself. He’s on amigo optics after an emergency op last week. and painkillers.

He’s just sleeping a lot. Today we walked for 5 minutes in his favourite place.

I know I can be brave when the time comes  :luv: it’s just come too soon. He’s just 8.5 years old. X

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Quality of life
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:26:50 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that, I was desperately hoping for better news for you and Humbug.  :bigarmhug: I think if he is happy to potter about, is eating and still has a wee spark in his eye, then you are good. You will know when the time has come, you and Humbug will figure it out.  Xx

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »
It's really sad for all of you and you must feel cheated that this has happened so young.  We are in a similar situation ourselves with 7 years old Rowan, although she is not a confirmed diagñosis yet but we've been warned what might be coming. I think you'll know when the time is right, unfortunately been there before...if you have doubts that says it's probably not time..when you see no joy for him, then you'll know.  Very hard times for you but I hope you get to enjoy more special time together.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 06:40:22 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear this news, as everyone has said while Humbug is still happy, eating and wagging his tail it's not time yet. You will know when it is time.
Cockers are the top breed to suffer with Anal Sac Carcinoma.  My last boy Blue also developed it at the age of just 8 years old. He lived for 19 months after surgery so don't give up yet.
Try and stay positive and cherish every second you have with him.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:40:36 AM »
So very sorry to read this, I really feel for you. I agree with the others, you will know when the time is right, while I know that dogs often do hide their pain well  I also believe that, with medication and painkillers, their quality if life is much better than ours would be in a similar situation, simply because they live for the hour and don‘t fret about how they‘re likely to feel tomorrow. I would therefore try and just take each day as it comes and as long as he‘s still showing an interest in life, eating and drinking, do your best to carry on as normal. Its the hardest decision we ever have to make for our beloved companions but Humbug will tell you when its time and you will know. I wish you strength and lots of happy days together still. Sending  :bigarmhug: to you both.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »
So very sorry  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: it just seems so unfair doesn't it at such a young age. I hope you get some more time to create special memories with your boy  :luv:  like others have said you know when it is time its so difficult but I got some comfort from when we said goodbye to Ben that we were able to arrange the time and place to minimise the anxiety for him, and didn't have to go into the vets which he hated.  I was worried if we waited too long and he became poorly very quickly I would lose that choice.

Thinking of you xx

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
I'm so sorry about the diagnosis, I hope that COL can help you both through this horrible time.

As others have said, you will just know, you will no longer be asking yourself if it's time as some how you will know.

One thing I will say from past experience,  Humbug dosn't know or understand the diagnosis, he is just feeling unwell so it's our job to fuss and spoil them in this time and keep things as normal for them as possible.
No one told my cat that he had 6 months and he lasted a lot longer then anyone expected, we just never know how much time we have with them  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »
My heart aches for you...it is such a horrible thing to deal with and Humbug needs you to be strong, these cockers of ours are such knowing individuals, Humbugs needs your love today and tomorrow and each day is suddenly more precious.

As for quality of life make these days have quality and memories and sadly when this fades you will know when the time is right, till then Humbug will just enjoy the love and fuss and you must cherish each moment.

Be strong and your friends at COL are here for you.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
Sending massive  :bigarmhug: to you and Humbug.  You are in a very difficult sitution.  You can only go on your instinct as to how Humbug is on a day to day basis.  Is he the Humbug you know and love so much or have things changed.

I lost my beloved boy on Thursday and my heart is breaking at the moment, but Jazz was almost 14 so I know he had lived his life to a good age.   :luv:  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »
So sorry to read your news about Humbug, it is difficult at anytime, but when they are young it seems to hit us harder.

Sending you big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 07:38:40 PM »
Our rescue dog Finn died of the same thing. He had an op to remove the anal tumour, it was huge, but sadly he had secondaries in his spine too.  Progress was swift, and we had to make the sad journey to the vet. He was only 8 too. You will know when the time comes to say goodbye, we all here will be thinking of you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »
So sorry to hear x Jinley had her anal glands removed when she was 5 after having many problems.  I must admit I am glad now as it is one less thing to worry about!  Anyway sending  you both some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and if you are on facebook look up the Turmeric Users Group UK.  They have some wonderful information on treating cancers with golden paste.  Anything is worth trying xx

Offline Digger

Re: Final days xx
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »
I am so sorry for you.
 I had to make the awful decision for my lovely boy over a year ago now. I was lucky in that he had a good long life (15) but when I saw that the balance had been tipped from mainly comfort to mainly discomfort I stepped in to help him out. It was hideous and I still feel terrible but I know I prevented him from degenerating into a painful undignified mess. He was a lovely dog and deserved to exit this place with pride.
  On a practical level I wanted to just share this-idea with you- just in case you're not aware of it as an option. Our dog (Digger) hated the vets- even the smell of the place, so when I knew we were getting into very unstable times I wanted to be sure there was absolutely no stress for him. I didn't want him to suddenly be rushed in and poked around etc..I got some acp from them. It's a sedative. When we finally made the painful decision we were able to engineer things to make it as nice as possible.
We made him a massive bacon sandwich with enough acp in it to knock him right out. We were both then able to be there holding his hand and giving him a hug while he just fell asleep-at home on the rug where he always snoozed. When the vet arrived a little while after she even took off her outer shirt so she didn't smell of vets and then she very gently gave him the injection- he did not even flinch- he just very peacefully stopped breathing.
We reckoned as an exit that was about as good as it gets.
I am howling typing this. You poor thing. My heart goes out to you and your lovely furry friend. I hope you can make it right for him and not be too hard on yourself-know that you're helping him out.
Big hug.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »
I am so so sorry to hear about Humbug. My lovely boy Dickon had the same cancer. It’s a horrid disease. After he was diagnosed I was told he wouldn’t have a very long time but in the end, after surgery to remove the majority of the tumour I had 6 more weeks with him. The odd thing was that after recovering from the surgery - which initially knocked him for 6 and left him pretty low - he was totally fine within himself, just appeared a little constipated. He had lactulose in his food to help and he would only eat simple boiled chicken and rice. No one could have known how ill he was. Even the vet was shocked. In the end though he developed mega colon due to the constipation. And I had to let him go. Even then, he bounced happily into the vet. She initially thought she would give him an enema but when she x-rayed him and saw that there was cancer everywhere and the colon situation was far worse than she could have imagined we decided that it was best for him to go. We were all stunned at how ill he truly was at that point. Just the day before someone had asked if he was a puppy. He died on his 11th birthday. Sometimes it is so hard to know what they are truly feeling as they can hide it so well. I sometimes wonder if I missed more signs but no, I think when the time comes you do just know. I don’t know how, or why but we learn to know them so deeply through the bind we have with them that something just tells us it’s time.And it is the kindest thing we can do. I was with Dickon and he wagged his tail when he saw me so he knew I was there.
Sending massive hugs to you all.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »
Thanks all. humbug went to rainbow bridge yesterday in my arms. 💜💜💜

Hew was in pain even taking tramadol. So it was right to release him to a world painless free. Xx