Author Topic: how do I start  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Amus1

Re: how do I start
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »
I am so very sorry for your loss katiebiks (and others that have replied/posted in the last few days). I can't say I know how you feel as I've never met you and I'm not you, but I can say I have a good idea of what you are feeling.

I lost my second dog at approx 10 and a half. He wasn't a spaniel but was a smooth fox terrier. What a character he was. He was the most stubborn little soul, determined and bloody minded! But so loveable and gentle and fun at the same time. He was bought as our family dog two days after my birthday.
When he was lots older he used to walk to the top of the drive and then refuse to go much further and we had to really almost pull him along on his bottom!! He was quite over weight at this point, but still a very active chap.well I got up one morning to find him paralysed down one side of his face - a droopy lip and eye. his stomach had also begun to swell a little. I thought he had had a stroke. The vet that we saw wasn't one of my favourites at the practice we used back then, but we trusted him none-the-less. He was more concerned about his stomach and any internal complications than his one sided facial paralysis. He asked us to book him in promptly to have an exploratory op to check out the abdomen swelling up.

To this day I wish that I had listened to that nagging little doubt I had - I really thought he'd had a stroke and those animals should never be put under anaesthetic at that point. But the vet kept assuring us that it wasn't a stroke and that the abdomen was more serious.

So we booked him in for surgery. The vet performing the surgery phoned whilst he was under, to say that he had a large abcess/growth on his spleen and to remove it meant to remove the spleen. They recommended this was done, and so it was removed. We were given special food for him and the vet said only to have the said food, no tit bits or any treats etc as he said he wouldn't be able to cope with them.
He wouldn't eat any of it that night or the next morning, so he was back into the vets that day (23rd) and they gave me a different food for him. He still wouldn't eat that. Any he did try he threw up. We had been told to sugar his water, which we did but he wasn't too interested.
We had him back in to the vets on the 24th and it was the same vet we saw originally and at this point he said he really needed to be eating more or something and he actually said to offer him anything we could - he actually told me to "give him some chocolate" even, if he isn't eating the food!!
I knew it was bad then, When a vet told me to give my dog chocolate!

So he struggled along to Christmas day, then boxing day but he was getting weaker and he wasn't himself at all. On boxing day night he collapsed in the lounge and wet the floor as he had tried to get up for the toilet but couldn't hold it or move properly. He was distressed and I slept downstairs on the floor with him. At about 2.30am I called the vet on call (this time it was my favourite vet from the practice). She met me at the vets at about 3 and she said she was surprised to see how downhill he had gone since I had described his condition on the phone just half hour earlier, we had him put to sleep there and then. He went so peacefully.
We returned home and we buried him a couple days later.

This is the first time I have really discussed this, and we are now 10 years on.
I did not want another dog and we decided against it. A few months later and to my surprise I was beginning to miss the prescience of a dog around the home and I felt like I was ready for another. But not to replace Bru. I can't quite describe it.

Anyway 8 months later we got our new furbaby who is now also 10!

I'm sorry to have rambled on but, I did want to make a point - that is that......

I still feel incredibly guilty even over 10 years later, about how we lost him. Just over the course of a week or so, and such a distressing time, and at Christmas too. I think that guilt which I can feel right now writing this and the story of him, made my feelings of loss even more painful. I always wonder "what if?" I hadn't gone ahead with the op. he was happy and content before it, I so wish we had left it and let it take it's own course. But I believed at the time that the vets were right and we should trust them.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we are all genius' when it comes to hindsight.

Although I moved on and have two gorgeous boys now, I still miss him and I would say I don't feel I was disrespectful of him by getting another. They have filled the dog shaped hole in the home and our hearts but not the Bru shaped hole he left. (well not completely) and never will.

Don't feel pressured into getting another, my advice would be to wait a while at come to terms with it first. I'm wure your family want to see you happy again and if you explain to them that it's not just a loss of a dog you feel but the loss of YOUR dog - and his personality and character. It is true they are like a family member.

Just take your time and see how you feel. It is only your decision and it can't be rushed. People deal with grief in so many ways. And you will deal with your loss in your own way.

Offline katiebiks

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
Please don't feel guilty you did what you thought was best I had so many moments of what ifs after Paddy went did I miss something?should I have disagreed with the vets prognosis they went around and around my head for ages I can't believe how many people have been so kind to reply we all love our dogs so much at the moment I can't contemplate another dog I'm just going to leave it until I've grieved for Paddy and at the moment I think it will last my lifetime I talk to him all the time  I don't think anything is odd like getting an unexpected call about another dog needing a home or seeing something put of the corner of your eye I don't think the love we have for our pets ever dies it exists therefore is I only found out about the bridge everyone talked about today its beautiful and I can imagine Paddy playing there while he waits for me when he collapsed the weirdest thing happened I caught him he looked at me and "spoke like a human who had a speech impediment"I took it as I've listened to you all my life mum and I'm going now so I want to tell you in your own language that I love you and will see you again" I too can't believe I'm writing this as I'm not mad and that was before I'd ever heard about the rainbow bridge and It's beautiful meanings Thank you everyone so much for all your wisdom and kind messages

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
i have said this before.
 My first love went to the bridge in 1996. that dog loved me and boy, did i love him. I was inconsolable for weeks.
My point,
 If I was given the chance to have him back I  would grab with both hands.
 If I had to give up all the dogs i have had since theakston in order to have him back I would decline
theakston was very special, but I would not want to have missed out on pegs,pops,mindy and gemma :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 10:48:52 PM »
So sorry to hear about Paddy, I know all too well how you feel  :luv:

I have loved and lost many cockers over the last 25 years or so and each one has a place in my heart that can never been replaced. The hole that they have left though has been too large and I have had to have another cocker to fill it. Some have been straight away and others I have waited. I've waited for them to come to me,because I believe each one has found me, when the time was right.

When the time is right you will know.

Run free Paddy forever young, healthy and seeing clearly  :luv:

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline valcam

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
So sorry to hear about Paddy, It is so hard, we lost our little Meggy on 30th April she was almost 12, I was completely unprepared for how upset I would be. She too had Cushings disease and had been unwell for a few months but the vet assured us she was in no pain, she died exactly where she always wanted to be, on the couch next to me. I still miss her every day, silly things make me sad.  For weeks I was just so very sad all the time, all I wanted was to have her back.  We finally contacted a very lovely breeder who put us on a waiting list for a puppy, Gorgeous Poppy was born 0n 27th July, I cried the first time I went to see her, I felt like I was the worst person in the world getting another puppy to replace Meg and the day we collected her I had a panic attack at the service station and would gladly have taken her back! But cuddling her for the three hours in the car on the way home and bonding with her these four weeks I realise I love her just as much but differently, This forum is the perfect place for you to come in what is your grief, so many very lovely people who have been through the very same emotions and always willing to offer help advice and cyber hugs. You will find a way to cope that is right for you and I hope one day you will be able to love another little pup xx

Offline Bruffies

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
Sorry to hear you sad news, I know exactly how you feel........We lost our beautiful boy, Percy, on 18th September he was 7 years young - we still have our older dog, Lottie she was 10 yesterday. We deliberated about having another dog and even in such a small space of time, we have watched Lottie look for her little pal, sit in his basket, look for him on walk. Heartbreaking for her as well as us.

Time will heal and only you will know when the time is right to have a pup or another dog - or in our case a very good friend put a seed in our heads by posting a picture of a four week old pup which was still available from a litter that her friends dog has just had - so we are off on a 500 mile round trip to pick up our new little fella on Thursday this week. Still missing Percy dearly, but can't bring him back and remembering all the good times and the smiles that he bought to our family and the people he met. (Except the woman who he pinched a bag of hot cross buns off.......but that's another story)

My thoughts are with you, disrespectful it feels but I also think of the times when I was feeling sad and Percy would start wagging his tail fetching me his toy to try and cheer me up - so I think this is what he would want.  I know that our new fella will never replace Percy and we would never want him too, but he will come into our home to a loving family and give us a focus that we need right now. You will know when that time has come for you take care and remember time is a great healer....xx

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
So sorry to hear of your loss.

We lost our beloved Cavalier Rusty after a 5 month battle against heart disease in August. It was without doubt the worst time of my life (and I am filling thinking of it now) and he was my first ever dog.

I was ready for another dog after about 6 weeks. My shift pattern means I am at home alone a lot of the time and the house felt empty. My son and daughter (17 and 20) both wanted another dog but my wife was dead against it. She thought it would be disrespectful. Peer pressure won the day and my wife loves Murphy but will never forget Rusty.  

Everybody is different. My vet says that some people are in his practice the next week, some 6 months later and some can't face ever having a dog again.

There is no correct answer.

Edit: Murphy has eased the pain, but I still have a little cry occasionally (like now) and that is not a bad thing. I put together a photo album and have saved videos of Rusty. He will never be forgotten. In fact, I think he is up there laughing as Murphy decides to destroy another part of my house.  :D

Offline Tyler

• Vicky
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
So sorry to hear your news, we lost our beloved blue roan Tyler aged 14 at Easter and she left a huge hole in our hearts. We couldn't eat, we didn't want to stay in the house so went out a lot but then still had to come home.  We too felt it would be disrespectful to Tyler's memory if we thought if having another one.

In the 3 weeks after we lost her tony went away for a weekend and I went away for a week which were planned months before, it was horrible for both of us and when I got back from my trip we realised that we wanted another dog in our lives and had been independently looking on line for one!  I got back on the Saturday, we looked on the Sunday and bought our beautiful Dilly on the Monday!! She was 12 weeks old and such a pretty girl🐾

Dilly isn't a replacement for Tyler in any way, we have Tyler's ashes on the sideboard in the kitchen with her pictures so she is still with us. In August we decided to get Charlie so we now have 2!  The nice thing about getting Charlie was when we got his KC papers back we realised his great grandad was Tyler's dad so we still have a connection to her.

Both Charlie and Dilly have different personalities to Tyler and she will never be forgotten. If we hadn't decided to have another I honestly don't know what would have happened to us as we realised a dog completes us.💕
Vicky 🐾🐾