Author Topic: Is a cocker for me?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Murphys Law

Re: Is a cocker for me?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »
My first dog was a Cavalier and he was the easiest dog to look after ever. As long as he had a knee to sit on, or if no knee was available just be very close to you, he was a happy camper. He didn't need a lot of exercise.

Murphy, especially in his earlier months, was a handful. To the point where we weren't sure we could cope. He is not a lap dog at all but HAS to be in the same room as you. I don't think that since we have had him, anybody has managed to leave a room without him following. Even if in a deep sleep, he wakes at the slightest movement. He needs a lot more exercise and is totally bonkers compared to my cavalier. Murphy is also far more dog orientated than my cav who just wasn't interested.

Personally, I think cockers are amazing dogs but they are like children in my opinion. They always need attention and if not getting it will find a way to get it :005: I can't imagine life without him but I would also have another cavalier in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the health problems that plague the breed.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »
First of all, very well done for researching any potential problems and placing the needs of the dog before your own  :clapping:. Something tells me that you'll make a caring and responsible cocker owner  ;).

We have two cockers, one show strain, one worker and I agree that a show strain would be much more suitable for your circumstances. Nothing wrong with workers but, in general, they do have a higher exercise requirement, are much more of a single person dog and really need much more in the way of mental stimulation to avoid getting bored.

In an ideal world no dog would be left in a house on its own but most cockers are very flexible and will soon learn to adapt to their particular circumstances. The generally accepted rule is a maximum of four hours alone but this depends very much on the dog, its temperament, upbringing and arrangements in the home for the dog to be able to entertain itself. 

I'd suggest that you give consideration to rehoming a rescue cocker. Most reputable rescue organisations will be able to give you an idea of the dog's temperament and history and, in most cases, advise you of the suitability of the dog for your particular circumstances.

Our 4 year old show strain, Milly, came to us from a local rescue organisation at 7 months old. She hadn't been abused as such, just a case of the wrong type of dog for her previous, rather misguided, owner. After a month or so of settling in and getting her confidence back she's turned into the best cocker that anyone could wish for  :luv:.

Best of luck with your search and I hope a suitable cocker comes your way very soon.

Bob.

Offline linda c

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
Well done for doing all the research and really looking into everything before getting a dog. :D

As others have said they're all different. You would certainly be wise to have an older dog, some rescue dogs do have problems which with time and patience can be overcome, but many  are in rescue through no fault of theirs but due to the owners circumstances changing and you could find your first dog there.

I would agree with the 4 hour maximum rule for leaving a dog. The main problem is the dog getting bored and getting up to things that you don't want it to  :005:

A show strain dog would probably suit you, have you taken into consideration the grooming required for a Cocker ? They are quite a high maintenance dog that requires combing, trimming or clipping on a regular basis. Also if you're thinking about getting an older one from a breeder see if any health checks have been done. Good breeding is helping to resolve potential health problems but can never be guaranteed.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find a dog that will have a happy long life with and bring you lots of fun and companionship. Once you've owned a Cocker you'll never want a different breed  :D

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
As I work, we didn't go for puppies.  Max was 10 months & Harry was 6 months, but neither would have a problem with the routine you are proposing

If you don't want to go down the rescue route (& some rescues won't rehome to full time workers - my friend left her dog for 4 hrs & 15 mins - but was refused because it was more than 4 hours  :-\ ) you could enquire with breeders as often they run on more than one dog & decide when they're a little older which one to keep for showing
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline rubybella

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
As others have said, your routine would probably work fine BUT it isn't just the exercise they need but the human company. My working cocker is my shadow, when I go upstairs she waits at the bottom, when I sit down she lays at my feet or on my lap if she is lucky!

My dogs get left for 4 hours at a time occasionally and a couple of hours every day but I think she would have struggled without human company on the routine you describe as she is such a peoples dog. However it can depend on individual dogs and obviously some cope with it better. I would say though that as a breed cocker spaniels do like company.

Hope this helps.

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
I do know of dog owners who have similar routines (with very happy and content pooches), so it's certainly doable. But I do think which ever option you go for, pup or slightly older dog/rescue, it will require some work or time period in getting from A to B.

As others have said, you will need to build up to this time gradually, so one of your considerations maybe to schedule any leave you're able to accumulate to coincide with your potential new arrivals home coming. Failing that, a strong support network to build around your work commitments would be advantageous.

My girl, Liesl, came to live with us when she was 6 months old. Due to the circumstances at the time I wasn't on the ball with managing her time alone and subsequently this is something that she doesn't do well, in fact at all. So for her it's full time doggy daycare when I'm at work.

I did read also, although I can't remember where, that rehomed dogs/older pups can, to a greater degree, suffer from separation anxiety and as you are evidently approaching this so conscientiously it maybe something that you could add to your research/list of questions so that you're better equipped cometh the day  :luv:

I wish you the best of luck going forwards, and as they say, where there's a will there's a way! x

Offline smallperson

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »
Thanks for all the comments this has been very helpful. I have found a local small doggy daycare so will definitely look into that and will make enquiries with nearby rescue centres. I have plenty of annual leave put aside for a new arrival (no holiday this year as we've bought our first house  :D). In terms of the grooming I could put aside time each evening to do this and my ever resourceful Dad has offered to build me a grooming table of a suitable height (I'm 5 foot) lol

Offline JulieM

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
Hi,

Our show type is 3, she shadows us when we're here but loves it when we go out- she runs to her bed as we put on our shoes in expectation of a nice sleep! But I think she's one of the laziest cockers on here. We work from home most days, but maybe twice a week she's left for 4 hours and she's fine with that.

If we're going out for more than 4 hours we either have a dog walker or take her to doggy daycare. I actually prefer doggy daycare as they take her a walk. This is also at the kennels where she stays when we're on holiday so I think it's nice as she doesn't associate it only with long stays and has got to know the staff well (and them her) so then when we're away I don't worry about her as much.

Grooming-wise we choose to clip her regularly so we don't need to brush her as often as if you don't- obviously that's a personal choice.

Good luck with your choice, sounds like whatever dog you get they're in for a lovely life with you.

Offline Sirius Mum

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
Sounds like some very lucky cocker is just waiting for you. I hope you can get your plans sorted and welcome one of these super loving gorgeous creatures into your first home very soon.  :luv:

Good luck and please when you find him of her let us know  :D

Offline Nockie3

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
Hi,

Just to add my opinion to the board...
Hugo is fine with being left from 8am to 12.30pm (he literally sleeps from when I leave to when I get back, we have a webcam on him!). We have a walk at 6am to 6.45am (he lives for chasing the ball!) which wears him out a treat. He then chews his nylabone none stop before breakfast then none stop until I leave!

I get back at 12.30 and (depending on weather) go over the playing fields for 15 mins and then back for a drink, a little potter around then back into his bed with some treats. He then sleeps (verified with camera!) until my other half gets back at 4pm.

He then potters around all evening with us (can verify the shadowing!) chewing his bones etc and lazing around before bed at 9.30pm and then repeat again the next day.

I think the most important thing, I guess with any dog is routine!!

I must add that until he was about 6 months we had a family member come in at 10am and 2pm to check on him and let him out for a wee etc as he couldn't hold his little bladder for that long then!

He is now 11 months and follows this routine perfectly, he's out all day with us at weekends but easily falls back into his routine during the week!

From reading some other things in here...we must have a lazy one  :005: although, we get 'zoomies' on the odd occasion which I find hilarious!

Hope this helps in your decision...good luck!  :005:

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 11:08:40 PM »
HI, it's great that you're thinking of all this beforehand and are getting it sussed.  Re getting a rescue, most rescues wouldn't be happy to give you a dog (any breed) if you were working full-time unless you had absolutely definite measures in place.  I just passed a homecheck for an 11 month old lab/spaniel x where the dog would be left 3 days a week but I insisted on (and they agreed to) doggy day care for the mornings of those 3 days with the lady picking the dog up at lunchtimes and it then being left for 3 hours or so in the afternoons for those 3 days.  I thought that was pushing it for a young, active dog that needs company, but it was an otherwise excellent home and I didn't want to waste it.  Hope this helps.  Be picky about the day care too.