Author Topic: Interested in getting a rescuer red cocker.  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Bakewell

Interested in getting a rescuer red cocker.
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Hi. After much researching on breeds of dogs the hubby and I have agreed on a cocker. Now before we take the next step on thus wonderful breed I need to ask a few questions and learn more.
I quiet like the working training. We were up blaenavon railway Easter Day and saw a group with spaniels and they had all these training toys. I'd really like to get into that side of cocker keeping. I was wondering if their was a local group to barry South Wales or surrounding areas I could tag along as see how it all works. Get an idea of what I'm getting myself in for.
I'm also very active and walk approx 2 hours a day ( I don't drive) and love going on walks.
I also keep birds and have a parrot. He has no fear but of course when I let Gordon out I will have to keep to dog in the kitchen ( he is out 2 hours a Dayan two one hour sessions)
Hope anyone can advise me .
I'd also like to get a rescue as I went to cardiff prof shelter and it was heart breaking.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Re: Interested in getting a rescuer red cocker.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
I don't have any advice to offer but as the owner of two working cockers myself I can tell you that they will keep you busy. It's great if you can get them involved in gundog training or something like agility or flyball.

Good luck with your search - it sounds like a cocker will be very lucky to have you  ;)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »
Hi and welcome.

Not sure if you have looked at the Working Cocker Rescue website (http://www.workingcockerspanielrescue.co.uk/) but they are not too far from you across the border in Gloucestershire and are a breed specific rescue organisation. So if you are seriously thinking about rescuing I would recommend talking to them rather than a general rescue centre such as the one you mentioned.

I'm sure they would also put you in touch with a training group in your area whether specific Cocker or all gundog breeds that you could go along to and see what you're taking on. If you haven't seen working gundogs in training or 'working' before then you are in for a treat!

My only slight negative comment is that you already keep birds and, as with any gundog, Cockers are naturally 'interested' in our feathered friends so you will need to be very careful how you manage them all and particularly if you are not buying a pup that can get used to the status quo from the outset!

Other than that, good luck!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:58 PM »
Hi and welcome
our Gemma is a red working girl.

you would have to keep it out of the room when Gordon is flying but when he is caged (Gordon) it should not create a problem
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »
Off topic, sorry!

Lorna, this is the first time I have seen a photo of your WCS, Gemma. What a fantastic looking red and a very healthy dog by the look of her!

On topic!

I wonder what she would make of Gordon, the Parrot?? :005:

Px

Offline Panda

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
We have 2 working cockers, 4 cats and a parrot called Wilf.  Wilf talks constantly to the dogs, he tells them to sit, to stay, he calls them both by name and whistles them to come in from the garden, they are mesmerised by him but we are very careful they are not around when we take him out of the cage.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
Off topic, sorry!

Lorna, this is the first time I have seen a photo of your WCS, Gemma. What a fantastic looking red and a very healthy dog by the look of her!

On topic!

I wonder what she would make of Gordon, the Parrot?? :005:

Px

thank you,  :021:

2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Bakewell

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:50 PM »
Thank you Jan  ;) the gunning and flyball Id really like to get involved with just need to find a local group who will let me tag along.

Thanks for the advice bar find, I actually registered with them. Maybe give them a call about local groups too. Maybe discuss with them the bird situation too.
If we were to consider a puppy what are people's experiences with pups?

Min Gemma Is beautiful and perfect  :luv: Id love a dog like her.

This is gordon he thinks hes a macaw bless but more the size of a cockatiel  :lol2:

Offline Bakewell

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »

Forgot picture!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:56:24 PM »

Min Gemma Is beautiful and perfect  :luv: Id love a dog like her.

be careful what you wish for  ph34r
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Bakewell

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »
 :lol2: I sure she's lovey