Author Topic: Oh for a nice easy dog walk out of the back door.................  (Read 876 times)

Offline Mum2Riley

I genuinely love where we live in rural Gloucestershire, but it's been very restrictive finding somewhere to walk lately due to lambing... we seem to have a lot of sheep in our village!!  So we found a good alternative but this involves walking across three big crop fields.  We walked that way today but Riley has been going mad all day today gnawing his feet and generally being a bit unhappy.  Thank goodness I always wash his feet when we've been for a walk but this afternoon I noticed a really strong smell of chemicals on him, especially strong on his feet so he had a rapid dump in the bath much to his disgust.  They've obviously sprayed the crops, and it makes me so cross that it is a very well used walk by not only local dog owners but ramblers too, but there are no warnings to anyone!  I wouldn't have gone near it if I had known, and I have the courtesy to keep my dog on his lead when walking across them so he doesn't damage anything. It is a shame there isn't a compulsory system of stile and footpath warnings to tell you if there is livestock or chemically treated crops in the field you are about to cross  >:D  If I was Prime Minister there would be  :005:

Offline Sweepy

Re: Oh for a nice easy dog walk out of the back door.................
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:14:22 AM »
You can take it as a given that if there's crops in the field then, at some point, they will have been sprayed. Unless, of course, it's an organic farm. For the thousand of acres that the contractors cover in a year, it would not be practical to put signs up for the one day a year you want to walk your dog across it.  Through European regulation, pesticides and herbicides now used are very low grade and are highly unlikely to harm your pet. Hope this helps.  ;)