Author Topic: Forgotten recall  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Ladys tramp

Forgotten recall
« on: December 10, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »
Question from Oh.
Our boy tramp is usually quite well behaved when out on a walk but lately when off lead if he sees someone or another dog he runs over to say hello and won't come back when called. Worried he may meet a not so friendly dog one day and we will potentially have to deal with the repocutions. Any hints or tips. ( our bitch lady never does this and her recall is excellent both were trained the same way it's only been an issue the last few day)

Offline Barry H

Re: Forgotten recall
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
Friendly and sociable dog with selective hearing.  Common problem.  Back to basic training is the only way - hopefully not for long.  And I'd keep him on a long line till you're confident that he'll behave himself.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »
Agree with Barry, - only way is to start training the basics again and try to aim at making what you offer as a reward for coming back, more exciting than whatever is drawing Tramp‘s attention. For food orientated dogs, high value treats for a good quick recall (- i.e. IMMEDIATELY, a bit of“ considering if its worth coming back“ before finally coming doesn’t count!   :lol2:) :can be effective (but only as a reward, not as a bribe!), other‘s will drop everything for a game or a ball. You could also try a whistle and then use a really favourite high value treat  that he only gets for a perfect recall and at no other time. [ I fry up some chicken pieces and freeze them and then just take out a couple of pieces as I need them but cubes of cheese or sausage are also super treats for Humphrey)Try and deliberately  up distractions, maybe you can enlist the help of someone else with a friendly dog so that you can practice that specifically and in as many situations as possible. Oh, and practise, practise, practise, - its a continuous training unfortunately, they conveniently forget things very quickly as soon as you let your eye off the ball!  :lol2:

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
Thank you all for the advice
Going to get a long line tomorrow and use that for a while and once back to us give a treat. Hopefully he will remember that he should come back when called. I hope it's just the fact that he hasn't been out when its been busy for a while and he just want to say hello to new people ad hes like most of us and fed up of seeing the same faces day in day out due to Corona virus lol

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »
Just curius how does a longline work , my girl sniffs a lot and wanders short distances, sometimes she will hit a really good scent an be off , following it and DEAF, not sure if this would warrant longline(tho not sure of the option) she isnt play or food orientated enough to overlook a good scent.....??? also the countryside we walk, woods/heather. heathland, she would probably just snag up and not be able to walk at all, if she was using it all the time??