Author Topic: 'Real Spaniel!?!?'  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
'Real Spaniel!?!?'
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:33:33 PM »
Oh was out with Bails yesterday and was standing in the queue at the butchers when the lady behind him remarked' now son, that's a real spaniel!!' what the heck is a real spaniel? I would hate to think what a fake one looks like!!!!  :005: ph34r

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: 'Real Spaniel!?!?'
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »
I think it was meant as a compliament :D. well I hope it was.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:43:49 PM »
I think it was meant as a compliament :D. well I hope it was.

heehee!!! i hoped that too!!! and if it was i'm secretly pleased!!!  ph34r :005:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:44:09 PM »
I can only assume she meant as apposed to 'fake' spaniels which is what I have. I have been told more than once my working spaniels are not real  >:(

Last time I just sarcastically said well they look real enough to me and walked off.

Some people only perceive a show type cocker as real. Like Deb H said, it was meant as a compliment to your gorgeous doggy.  :luv:

Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »
We had someone say something simliar;  'nice to see proper spaniels'
I thought it was a bit strange at the time and still not quite sure what they meant!
Like you say, hopefully a compliment  :D
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »
I think it was definitely a compliment  ;)

It depends on who you meet, I've had people say to me 'now those are proper cockers' about Alfie and Tilly, especially if they see me training them with the dummy launcher and stuff. Whereas I know some others to whom a 'proper cocker' is a black working type and nowt else! Some people just have different opinions about stuff.

To me they're all 'real' and 'proper' spaniels no matter what they look like or what they do  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »
thats the sort of comment I hear from people when they see Ayla... working cocker not a show dog. ;) :luv:

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 06:52:49 PM »
A dad from my girls school has a lovely little Shih Tzu called Millie. When he takes Millie to school we always have a chat and he tells me about the golden cocker he used to own.
He's really funny and he does love Millie...but wouldn't admit it and tells people she his daughters dog... :shades:
He's very taken with Poppy and when his daughter comes out of school he always says 'look this is a real dog'...! :005:
Lee & Poppy xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »
'look this is a real dog'...! :005:

::) That's what my OH says about GSD's (he's comparing them to cockers)  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 07:33:27 PM »
A dad from my girls school has a lovely little Shih Tzu called Millie. When he takes Millie to school we always have a chat and he tells me about the golden cocker he used to own.
He's really funny and he does love Millie...but wouldn't admit it and tells people she his daughters dog... :shades:
He's very taken with Poppy and when his daughter comes out of school he always says 'look this is a real dog'...! :005:

My husband's a bit like that, he'd never admit it but Jarvis (the real dog!) is completely mine, and Lucy, the tiny almost-feline cavalier is his. :luv: He adores her and sneaks her treats all the time, especially when i tell him not to, but calls them both my dogs. ::) I've told him one day we have to get a hairless chinese crested and a bichon frise, as he actually loves both breeds. :005: (Not that he'd admit it in front of anyone!)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).