Author Topic: Zorro just caught a squirrel  (Read 2461 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Zorro just caught a squirrel
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:32:44 PM »
Erm, so our little not-quite-nine month old who we've always had down as the hapless crusader, and who only started taking an interest in squirrels 2 weeks ago, has just been and caught himself one.  ph34r

We took the dogs up to Greenwich park for their usual evening walk (they both love squirrelling so it's a great time of day for them and exhausts them completely). We'd been there 5 mins and Bella had been scouting around in the garden bit of the cafe (no dogs allowed), so we went to get her, she came out and Zorro went in. He disappeared so Ali went to find him and then started shrieking "Claire!!! Claire!!!" - well there'd been a slightly mardy staffie prowling around so that was my first instinct but I couldn't hear any squealing or anything that sounded like a dog fight. I went running up to the entrance and was met by Zorro, tail held aloft, carrying a squirrel which was almost half the size of him. He had no idea what to do with it but then suddenly disappeared under a hedge and I thought "oh god he's going to eat it" but he didn't, he just made a makeshift hole, plonked it in and came back out again to look for more squirrels.

I can't believe it, little ZZ Top with a killer instinct!  ph34r :luv:

He is very, very pleased with himself (currently settling down next to me on the sofa). The thing that gets me is he's not even 9 months yet (another week to go) and barely any experience of chasing squirrels - at this rate he's going to halve the squirrel population of Greenwich park.

He was very swift with the kill, Ali said he caught the scent, legged it and came back a second later carrying his kill - not a mark on him, thank god. Poor little squirrel though.... :'(
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: Zorro just caught a squirrel
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:35:10 PM »
He's a smart boy, and so good for not harming it.  :luv: Bet that squirrel got a shock and a half though.  :005:

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »
He's a smart boy, and so good for not harming it.  :luv: Bet that squirrel got a shock and a half though.  :005:

Erm, did I forget to mention that he killed it?  ph34r

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »
Spike is very jealous; his dearest wish is to get a rabbit but he would be equally happy to catch a squirrel or in fact any wildlife at all!!

The only ones he manages to catch are either very sick or very dead!! :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Harry Blue

• Site Member
  • I love my frisbee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »
Wow! I am amazed at his instincts!

At 14 months Harry is still at the barkbarkbarkbarkbark stage if he see's a squirrel - so no hope of ever catching..he has no instincts  ::)...we do wonder just how switched on he is sometimes...

Where we are living he has had to endure squirrels, rabbits and even a beaver taunting him from the other side of the terrace fence. The beaver was the biggest shock - Harry kind of half barked then stopped, and then did it again and you could see him deciding whether it was safe to bark again at this weird thing that came trundling past quite nonchalantly ignoring him!!  :005:

PS - love your website Claire, hadn't seen the updated one before! I am going to order a spangle bowl for my Dad to bring out to us when he comes in September!
Harry Blue - a legal alien in Boston...not happy about the waste of good tea....

Offline Cm

• Site Member
  • aww my poppy!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:43:48 PM »
Don't worry cocker's are hunting dogs right?

i can understand that you fell sorry for the squirrel but cocker's have it in their blood to do that!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
Don't worry cocker's are hunting dogs right?

i can understand that you fell sorry for the squirrel but cocker's have it in their blood to do that!

I have to say I'm quite proud of the little lad underneath it all... Just hope he doesn't put off too many picknickers by catching them in full view of them, we may not be very popular. I'm sure he'll catch others, he'd come close a couple of times previous to this - wonder if our insurance covers squirrel bites....  ph34r

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:48:18 PM »

Erm, did I forget to mention that he killed it?  ph34r

:embarassed: :embarassed: Oh dear, sorry you made it very clear but I didn't read it thoroughly enough. My apologies.

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:01:16 PM »
OMG! Just read that to OH as Chloe is similar age and she shows no interest at all in squirrels, we have a family of them in the backgarden and the park we go to daily has literally dozens of them!  :o I hope she doesn't decide to kill one! Although she hasn't even seen one yet as far as I'm aware!  :005:

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 12:15:27 PM »

I have to say I'm quite proud of the little lad underneath it all...

I know exactly how you feel. :)

Barkley first caught a rabbit back in December when he was 11 months old. My first reaction was shock as he turned up with this huge bunny combined with a mixture of slight disgust- seeing my cute little pup with a freshly killed animal in his gob  >:( and feeling very sorry for the poor  rabbit.  :embarassed:

But then I also felt kinda proud of the chap. Not quite as proud as he clearly felt though! He carried it about very gently with his tail held about as high as it can get!  :005:

He caught a second one about a month ago, and both times I think it's been a case of him being in the right place at the right time, and being on the rabbit before it has a chance to get out of the way. This one was only a baby though so I felt quite sad for it.  :'(

I'm hoping he doesn't catch too many more though. It's not particulary fun having to explain to any small children that you meet what your dog is happily parading about the woods with.  ::)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »
I often see tens of rabbits and some deer on our walks but as yet Charlie has only seen crows which are much more exciting to chase apparently!  At least you know Zorro will be able to survive in the event of the breakdown of society or nuclear winter!!

Offline Stacey

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
Please tell Zorro to be very careful - when a squirell bites they mean it and wont let go unless made to! Squirell bites also get infected REALLY quickly. We have trouble with our hawks during the hunting season - they love to go after squirells and unfortunately if not dispatched quick enough it can end the hawks season early!

But well done - he's accomplished what most Harris hawks can't  :shades:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 12:50:53 PM »
PS - love your website Claire, hadn't seen the updated one before! I am going to order a spangle bowl for my Dad to bring out to us when he comes in September!

I just had a look at your website after seeing this - its fantastic - the photo's are fab and that photo of Cooper asleep is truly wonderful!

I'm going to show OH later see if we can treat Fern to one (once you get your kiln up and running again of course!) - bravo!

Back to topic - Fern caught a rabbit a couple of weeks ago it was such a shock - she dived into long grass and it was squealing, I grabbed her collar and said 'drop' and was stunned that she did, the rabbit tried to hop off but struggled and I felt truly dreadful- it then keeled over and died - it was horrible horrible.   Also we have a rabbit that looks just like wild ones, and Fern's even been in the run with it, and they have a little kiss.  I shall keep her out of there now!
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »
he just made a makeshift hole, plonked it in and came back out again to look for more squirrels.

:rofl1:

I love the way they think they have "hidden" things like this :005:
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »
Well done Zorro... ;)

Poppy chases the odd squirrel in our local woods, but most of the time her nose is glued to the floor trying to sniff them out - if only she would lift her head once in a while she would see them sitting on the ground in the distance...  ph34r
Lee & Poppy xx