Author Topic: ''I'll walk the dog...''  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: ''I'll walk the dog...''
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
There has been a case of attempted dog-napping where I live involving a teenage girl and her dog out walking, and we got emailed the detail via e-cops.   We live in what I call a safe area as well.   >:(    I now also have to watch out for a 6 month old Akita puppy who is always off-lead who has taken to jumping Indie when we are out walking, this is a nightmare for me as the owner is a divvy woman who has no control of her dog and the dog has zero recall  >:(   My son is nearly 13 and although he is a big lad and is responsible, I really don't know how he would cope with a dog on dog incident or indeed if (god forbid) someone tried to steal Indie.    I don't think you are being unfair at all, its not your kids you have to worry about, its other people. 

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »
I am happy to let my kids (12 & 16) walk Millie. Rob (12) will happily take Millie on a pavement walk and on the long line/ stretchy lead in the park. Kate (16) will also take her to the local (large and usually quiet) recreaction field and let her off lead.

The only rules we have is that they tell me where they are going to walk and that take their mobiles and poo bags  ;) with them. (If there was a problem I could be with them in minutes)

Rob was about 11 1/2yrs and Millie 1 year old when he started taking her for short 'round the block' walks. He did all of Millie's puppy (& clicker) training with me and whilst on walks together often had control of Millie (with me giving advise if nec). So he was well practiced before 'going solo'

They don't have to walk her every day, thats my and OH's responsibility, (but they will often come with us) but occasionally (usually in the school hols) I'll ask them to take her for a walk to help me out and I appreciate their help.

As far as a dog-on-dog incident goes (not had one yet & Millie's coming up two years) you cant stop doing everything just because 'something might happen'. If I took that attitude Millie would have alot of very boring pavement walks and never see a field, footpath or woods from one week to the next.  ;)

Children grow up and don't want cuddles, but dogs are puppies for life.

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:04 AM »
I am happy to let my kids (12 & 16) walk Millie. Rob (12) will happily take Millie on a pavement walk and on the long line/ stretchy lead in the park. Kate (16) will also take her to the local (large and usually quiet) recreaction field and let her off lead.

The only rules we have is that they tell me where they are going to walk and that take their mobiles and poo bags  ;) with them. (If there was a problem I could be with them in minutes)

Rob was about 11 1/2yrs and Millie 1 year old when he started taking her for short 'round the block' walks. He did all of Millie's puppy (& clicker) training with me and whilst on walks together often had control of Millie (with me giving advise if nec). So he was well practiced before 'going solo'

They don't have to walk her every day, thats my and OH's responsibility, (but they will often come with us) but occasionally (usually in the school hols) I'll ask them to take her for a walk to help me out and I appreciate their help.

As far as a dog-on-dog incident goes (not had one yet & Millie's coming up two years) you cant stop doing everything just because 'something might happen'. If I took that attitude Millie would have alot of very boring pavement walks and never see a field, footpath or woods from one week to the next.  ;)

I know you are right about that, I am slightly uptight when they are off lead anyway, always looking for other dogs incase wilson decides to take off (I should give him the benefit of the doubt tho cos as of yet he never has.... touch wood!!) It is the school hols here at the moment so my son is still in bed!! (I wish!!!) but when he gets up I am gonna have a word with him about doing some dog courses with wilson. I think he would really like that.
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
Could you let him walk your dog with you following at a distance (him knowing you're there for back up incase something happens?)

Think the idea of dog training together is a great one!

Offline tashasmum

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
My daughters are 11 and 9 and they both are allowed to take Tasha out on a lead walk around the local area I think it does them good and makes them more independant but we do live in a relatively quiet area and they always have a phone with them. We also know most of the local dogs I won't allow them to take her to the local shop though unless they are together and one of them waits outside with her.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »
I walked my first dog from aged 12 so dont see the harm but then again I grew up in safe suburb.... I think my mum knew I was sensible though and mature for my age. At 13 I was volunteering for the SSPCA and used to walk several at a time no probs. Just depends on the kid I suppose.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline nic_h

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
I have let my 12yr old son walk Zack on his own, but we live in a very quiet residential area. And also with Zack being so young he is no trouble walking on the lead. Have never thought of anyone trying to grab the dog, that's a very scary thought, but he's back to school now so wont probably get the chance to walk him on his own for a while as in the evening we all  go together to the park.
Nic, Zack and Mali xx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:04:10 PM »
I don't have children so it's difficult to say but I remember walking our family dog on my own & with my friends & I must have been about 14/15.

But that was 40 odd years ago when quite frankly it was a different world!!! ;) (I also took people out on hacks on my own from the same sort of age which nobody would contemplate these days!!! :shades:)

I think probably these days I would be a lot more dubious about letting a youngster of 13 or so take a dog out by themselves even around here (a comparatively quiet & low crime area!! ;))
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 09:07:56 PM »
I was about 12 when I took someones dog out alone - I have no memory of how I met this old couple but they had a collie type dog and were very grateful that I turned up a few days a week to walk Spot.

I spent many happy hours walking Spot and had no dog training or worried adults watching over me (my parents were caring but were talking about the 70's which allowed us to have more freedom).

On the other hand I now have Ben (worker) and Becky (teenage daughter) and the two mix well unless I ask her to walk him  :005:  and it's then done under protest with Ben staying on lead (and in all probability his poo's staying where they fall  ph34r)

If your son wants to walk Zack then I'd let him - just make sure that he has a poo bag - doesn't let Zack off lead and has someway of contacting you if he has a major problem  ;) 

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
My daughter has walked Harvey since she was 13 (now 15), she's done agility and some basic obedience classes with him so she knows what she's doing. She never goes over fields with him and he's always on lead with her (in fact she's more paranoid about his safety off lead then I am). As for 'dog napping' that can happen to anyone, there's not much you can do to prevent that only the obvious things like not leaving them outside a shop. She also always walks him on a normal lead not a flexi lead as they can be dangerous near roads and other dogs. They also need to accept they have to scoop the poop!

From what I have seen, I would say that she has a natural affinity for dogs. And I would certainly trust her with Buddy (and I have an inkling that he would go with her like a shot too!)

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
I let Milly (age 11) walk Maisy on her own.

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
Mmm difficult one  :-\ Im not sure id let him either  :luv: Poor wee poppet  :luv: He's meaning well isnt he  :luv:

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 10:35:22 PM »
My daughter has walked Harvey since she was 13 (now 15), she's done agility and some basic obedience classes with him so she knows what she's doing. She never goes over fields with him and he's always on lead with her (in fact she's more paranoid about his safety off lead then I am). As for 'dog napping' that can happen to anyone, there's not much you can do to prevent that only the obvious things like not leaving them outside a shop. She also always walks him on a normal lead not a flexi lead as they can be dangerous near roads and other dogs. They also need to accept they have to scoop the poop!

From what I have seen, I would say that she has a natural affinity for dogs. And I would certainly trust her with Buddy (and I have an inkling that he would go with her like a shot too!)

Aaaah thanks Annette, I think Buddy may be a bit more interested in what's in her pocket  :005:

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
Mmm difficult one  :-\ Im not sure id let him either  :luv: Poor wee poppet  :luv: He's meaning well isnt he  :luv:
he really is, he just wants to do me a favour, I keep telling him its not a chore to me I love walking them but he wants to do it like on his own like a grown up. I had a word with him about the training classes etc and he loved the idea. Am going to wait til next week to look into it as its still school hols and I am too busy til then  :D
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:06 AM »
It's a difficult one as you worry about both dog and son if you are not there, but he is persistent with his plea and so it's a shame not to give him the chance.
We grew up with dogs and I loved to walk ours from being about 10 just round the block on a lead at the time, but mainly because the dog was blind so couldn't walk too far! I never grew out of enjoying taking the dogs and continued to do it daily until I left home and I would have been devastated and probably more determined to walk them if I'd been told no. (guess I've always had a stubborn streak!).
I think I would ask to go with him first couple of times and see how well he manages, then let him try on his own.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.