Author Topic: 'naturally docked tail'  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
'naturally docked tail'
« on: April 16, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
just wondering... spotted an an ad advertising cockers for sale stating, 'boy born with naturally docked tail'
have never heard of this, has anyone else and why does it happen?  :huh:

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: 'naturally docked tail'
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »

Natural bobtails occur in some breeds ( Australian Shepards, Corgis, Boxers etc) but I've not heard of it in Cockers - to be honest I'd be a bit suspicious of anything I read in a puppy sales ad. 

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
It could be possible that it just didn't develop properly before birth?!
If its the same ad i just found they have a girl too but only the boy has a 'docked' tail so would assume the girl has a full one.

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
It could be possible that it just didn't develop properly before birth?!
If its the same ad i just found they have a girl too but only the boy has a 'docked' tail so would assume the girl has a full one.

That sounds like the probable reason - a mutated gene causing shortened tail length.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:05:45 PM »
I have seen a natural bobtail cocker, it came to be mated to one of my boys & produced a litter all with normal tails.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 03:11:45 PM »
I have seen a natural bobtail cocker, it came to be mated to one of my boys & produced a litter all with normal tails.
I have too, I posted a question on here a few months ago asking the same thing, some in the litter that I saw had long full tails some had short full tails and one little boy had a naturally docked tail.
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 06:16:34 PM »
Mmm, I am a bit suspicious of this sudden rash of naturally docked tails.

Does anyone else think it just might be breeders who thought they could have a go at docking them themselves and chickened out after one?

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »
The bitch that came here was definitely a natural bob.
There was no bone in her appendage, just skin & gristle & it couldn't be wagged either  :-\ but she was a lovely girl with a fab temperament & had all the necessary healthchecks.

I can't believe that people would intentionally dock part of a litter, can't see the point. Tails are now accepted in the show world & I have to say I for one have got used to them far quicker than I thought I would!
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »
Mmm, I am a bit suspicious of this sudden rash of naturally docked tails.

Does anyone else think it just might be breeders who thought they could have a go at docking them themselves and chickened out after one?
yes it did cross my mind too, but for different reasons maybe if they have a few of both tailed and docked in the litter they might be able to sell them quicker.  :huh:
Would people really have a go themselves?  :o
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
I was talking to a lady recently who used to breed miniature schnauzers. She said that they had docked tails themselves. >:D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
Would people really have a go themselves?  :o

Even though it had been illegal for years, many *breeders* were docking their own litters right up until the docking ban came in  >:(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 07:15:38 PM »
Ive known a bitch to be over enthusiastic when cleaning a pup. she took part of the tail in one and in another she cleaned the unbilicus so well it split and had to be sutured as all the pups intestines started spilling out. same bitch different litters. also had it with ewes, one last year ate both her lambs tails.
 midwives have to be vigilant.( and shepherdesses and yes the lambing has started here now!! Aaaargh!)

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »
Ive known a bitch to be over enthusiastic when cleaning a pup. she took part of the tail in one and in another she cleaned the unbilicus so well it split and had to be sutured as all the pups intestines started spilling out. same bitch different litters. also had it with ewes, one last year ate both her lambs tails.
 midwives have to be vigilant.( and shepherdesses and yes the lambing has started here now!! Aaaargh!)

:o  Ooh Jean, I hope this means we'll soon be having  this year's lambing tales  diary ?  :005:   :huh: Can't wait  :D

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »

:o  Ooh Jean, I hope this means we'll soon be having  this year's lambing tales  diary ?  :005:   :huh: Can't wait  :D
Im sure it can be arranged!! ;)

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »

Someone i know has a show/worker cross puppy  :huh: which although hasnt a docked tail looks like it only has 2/3rds of a tail  :-\...it really is short and also has the shortest legs i have seen on a cocker