Author Topic: 2 year old or puppy -dont know what to do-SHES STAYING  (Read 4510 times)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
2 year old or puppy -dont know what to do-SHES STAYING
« on: July 20, 2008, 08:16:28 AM »
i have been looking for a third dog now for a few months i really want a small show type and kizzys breeder has a litter of nearly 5 week old pups, i have now just been offered a 2 year old , i think mainly working cocker, the people have had a baby and dont walk her anymore, shes here with me now for the weekend and shes lovely, shes house trained gets on with my dogs ,ignores my cats is great natured, theres absolutley nothing wrong with her apart from shes fat and i mean fat, i cant see what shes like underneath all of the fat,i keep weighing up having her instead of a pup, less work , shes free and spayed so wont cost me anything really, trained ,no vices at moment  ,i can pick up her paws and look at her teeth ,and ears ,shes good in the car, but im not excited about her TBH ,before i saw her the woman who told me about her said shes tiny and black and i was expecting a different dog, i dont know what to do, i think im going to feel bad either way, i keep thinking of how hard a puppy will be and it would save me about £500 but will i regret not getting what i really want
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: 2 year old or puppy -dont know what to do
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:19:35 AM »
I would go for the rescue/rehome every time. ;) a diet and exercise and she could be a different dog. :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »
I would go for the rescue/rehome every time. ;)

I would, too. And from what you've said, she sounds like the perfect dog for you. ;) :D
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 08:34:35 AM »
If you can take on a rescue dog, then go for it - there are too few homes that can take on the dogs that need help :D 

I would urge caution in your assessment of her though; rescues can sometimes have a honeymoon period and only once they have settled and feel secure do they begin to show their little quirks and bad habits that can take a lot of effort and patience to overcome  ;)

I'm sure there are COL members who can give you advice about the best way of taking on a private rescue in terms of legal documentation etc -  Good luck  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 08:45:26 AM »
If it's a third dog, haven't you already got what you really want?  And an adult will be so much easier to integrate into the household.  Sounds as if she's chosen you already, really - and if you can slim her down and, as cobweb says, start with good boundaries so she has good habits from the start, you're 2 years into the training process and £500 better off....  ;)

sounds very good to me

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:54 AM »
yes i said to the owners we will give it a few weeks and see what shes like when the honeymoon period is over , shes showing alot of interest in my cats ive got a 15 yr old 3 legged cat  :D and hes a bit scared of her,my black tom just looked at her when she barked at him and she stopped as if to say what do i do now, theres no malice at the moment, but i shall wait and see, the present owner is a police woman, and said she will take her back if we decide shes not for us, the other thing is it will probably be my last chance to get a puppy from my old girl kizzy,s breeder so im a bit torn TBH im getting myself quite upset about what to do , shes so fat i cant even tell if shes a big show type or a worker, thou i think mainly worker

I would urge caution in your assessment of her though; rescues can sometimes have a honeymoon period and only once they have settled and feel secure do they begin to show their little quirks and bad habits that can take a lot of effort and patience to overcome  ;)

I'm sure there are COL members who can give you advice about the best way of taking on a private rescue in terms of legal documentation etc -  Good luck  :D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Only you can decide what is best for your family. But I tihnk you are doing the right thing waiting to see how this girl gets on with your other animals before making a decision.
Just remember that puppies are really horrible little monsters in cute packaging  :005:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »
I would def go for the rescue especially as it sounds like she is already fitting in well with your existing family.  :luv:  No puppy training - fab!!  :D  Your existing dogs may find a pup much harder to get used to than a 2 year old.  Good luck whatever you decide.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline amanda.seal

• Marley Moo
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »
I would personally choose a rescue but i think in your heart you want a puppy and i think if you have the rescue you may regret it later ph34r. I think its important to go with your heart when it comes to choosing a new member of your family :luv: I hope you choose whats right for you ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
I would go for the rescue --- you would be giving her the chance she needs as they may rehome her to someone wholly unsuitable. However, if you think you really can't cope with what is essentially a working cocker then give me a shout and I wil put you or owners in touch with someone in rescue who can help rehome her as it would be better for her to go through the rescue route really than the free ads
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »

Sorry, but I agree.  Go for the rescue dog.  You will be doing her a huge favour getting her away from an unsuitable home.  She is not that old anyway.  The other option is that someone else on here might have her, but keep moving her from home to home is not ideal.

Photos please!!!

Clare

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »
Oh I am getting vibes that you really want a puppy, and whilst it is kind to "rescue" a dog, it's got to be what is right for you and your family. She sounds a lovely dog, and I am sure she would find a good home, if you decide against keeping her.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 02:30:03 PM »
mm sounds to me like you would really prefer the pup, and as others have said it is a good thing to give a rescue dog a home, but not if you are going to resent it's presence - better to find her a home now with Penny B's help than a year down the line when you really feel she is not for you..at the end of the day tho it is your decision entirely, sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »
I so know the feeling, I'm soooo broody for a puppy, and was waiting for a planned breeding when I was offered Bracken. After a lot of thought I realized a puppy would be more difficult to fit in to my household and lifestyle than an adult dog would. Only you can really answer that question though

(Maybe a 4th dog for you?  :005:)

PS have you seen this thread? http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=46437.msg657765;topicseen#msg657765
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Neacy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
On the rescue pages there is a thread started by Druimmuir, asking about a working cocker bitch for her boss who wants a rescue, perhaps this will help in some way.

I say go with what your heart says and what you really want.
Woo woo Mr Harv, woo woo, he's my best mate.