Author Topic: 1 cocker or 2 arguments?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline LisaB

1 cocker or 2 arguments?
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:27 AM »
I'm undecided.  I know this is an emotional,not a practical decision, but hubby is adamant that one is more manageable, citing the following reasons:

1.  We'd have to change the car - presently, we have a saloon and Angel sits down by my feet in the front, 2 dogs couldn't.
2.  Pub walks.  Taking 2 dogs into the pub (or anywhere else for that matter) means you become a pain to the owner.
3.  Cleaning up double the amount of pooh in the garden
4.  Kennel fees, vets fees - if anything happens
5.  I breed cats, isn't that enough, can we trust another dog with the amount of kittens we have, closing the doors etc would be doubley difficult.  Prgnant queens and queens with babies will attack a dog, requiring a high level of security.
6.  Time.  Double the amount of training

I want another dog, citing the following reasons

1.  I want one.

It feels like the "Shall we have children?" question all over again - and I lost that one too, though looking back, pretty thankful actually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What do others who have 2 think?  I think I have a pretty weak argument.

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
Re: 1 cocker or 2 arguments?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »
I am not in the same position as you as I do not breed cats, but do have 3 in the house.

We have our 2 dogs on harnesses in the car (ones designed to attach to the seatbelts)  could you not do this?

of course the money should always be thought about, as two will cost more that one obviously

if you already have one, then the security will be the same?

we have 2 dog and 3 cats,

so i would always vote 2  :005:

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
  • ~~Adores her cockers Digby & George~~
    • digby
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:44:22 AM »
We recently went from 1 cocker to 2 (Digby 14 months~George 5 months) It was a mutual decision to get another doggy and dont get me wrong I adore them both but the work load does noticably increase, well it has in this house!! In alot of cases you are doing it for one so you are just adding another into the mix but from the point of view of extra work it certainly is....But George is a.....Fiesty little boy >:D lets put it like that!!! :005:
I hope you make a decision that you are both happy with, its a really tricky one when one person wants another and partner is not so keen.
Could you borrow somebody elses dog for a weekend and see how you get on with 2?
Good luck ;)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
1.  We'd have to change the car - presently, we have a saloon and Angel sits down by my feet in the front, 2 dogs couldn't.
2.  Pub walks.  Taking 2 dogs into the pub (or anywhere else for that matter) means you become a pain to the owner.
3.  Cleaning up double the amount of pooh in the garden
4.  Kennel fees, vets fees - if anything happens
5.  I breed cats, isn't that enough, can we trust another dog with the amount of kittens we have, closing the doors etc would be doubley difficult.  Prgnant queens and queens with babies will attack a dog, requiring a high level of security.
6.  Time.  Double the amount of training

1. Car Seat Belts and a throw on the seat could solve that problem.
2. We have never taken our two dogs into a pub but just purely because it has never arisen. We do however take them round mates houses and visiting with us and have never had a problem that stemmed from 2 dogs. We don't take them to his mums because she's not a dog person, 1 or 2 would make no difference to that.
3. You get used to it and it becomes the normal, we try to pick them up as they happen so that it doesn't get a chance to build up and that way you barely notice. We have become quite the experts at getting 2 poo's into 1 poo bag  :D
4. Always a consideration and something only you can decide if you could manage.
5. I really don't think this would become too much more diffcult but then I don't breed cats so not really very helpful here.
6. Yep there is no getting away from that so do you have the time to give.

If you're prepared to put in the time and you can afford it I would continue to try and persuade your OH that a 2 dog family is the way to go  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »
Hey - hope you get another one  :005:

Two are much more fun!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
Does he want a second dog? All his reasons not to have one are practical - but it may just be that he isn't ready for a second dog right at the moment; some people (particularly men) are less comfortable using their feelings as justification  ;)

My OH did say that "he didn't want one" for several years :( I could have pushed him, and nagged/whined/cajoled, but that wouldn't really have been respecting him and his feelings  ph34r Eventually, he came round - but I waited until I was sure he was ready  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Maisies mum

• Maisie enjoying the rays!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:56:02 PM »
When I was looking for a dog last year, I was only after the one. I got the chance of rehoming the two together and like you went through all the arguments against.
What swung it in the end was I walk as far with one as I would with two, they would keep each other company, and yes, they cost extra, but you get double the love. And that in my book is what its all about.
Good luck with the decision, I'm sure you'll make the right one in the end, for both of you.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 01:14:31 PM »
I'd wait a while and bide your time, I'm sure he'll come round, just have to know how to play them, says me who's just convinced OH that we need number 4. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
I'd wait a while and bide your time, I'm sure he'll come round, just have to know how to play them, says me who's just convinced OH that we need number 4. ;)

how did you manage that???   that is impressive,  or is it something you could not write  :005: :005:

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
I have had a hard time trying to get the 4th  :-\

We now have Rosie she is a year this week, we have changed the car to a large estate but no one sits in the boot area  :005: 3 on the back seat, 1 in the footwell with me.
We never go to the pub and cleaning up is something I do 90% of the time,so my OH had no issues there  :blink:
Yes vets bills are expensive but its not very often you need to go with only 2 dogs  :blink:
Going away .... Do you have family that could move in yours to save on the kennels?
Training .... I have found fairly straight forward, well to be honest Rosie has copied the others more than me train her  :D
I hope you are convincing as 2 is so much nicer and I found was not double work really  :luv:  :005:
I took my OH to a cocker show and he met a lovely young black cocker  :luv: It did the trick  :005: a few months later we had Rosie (solid black)
good Luck
Jo

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:46 PM »
I only have two myself, i didnt need any convincing and neither did the other half!! Yes its double the mess (poo wise) but they seem to go at the same time so it only gets picked up together.
I have had mine as pups together they are only 18 and 20 weeks now.
We had all this to consider.
We decided its more beneficial, and ill agree its alot more fun!!
Both mine stay in the back seats so its good, although i am considering a 4x4 - i use th dogs as my excuse!!!  :005: but i always wanted one!

We both take them to training, one dog each, thats easy.
We took them both up the pub the other night, sat outside, no problems!! Have not come across any pub owners having problems so far, as 6 families could all turn up with dogs, its still beer sales!!

They both play with each other so it takes some of that away from us, which is good, they keep each other company. Yes we have double the cost, but double the amount of affection, love, commitment, cocker kisses and fun!!! Definately not double the trouble!!! I would always say the more cockers the better!!!

Good luck with your decisions, if you can convince!! Although im sure he couldnt say no if you just turned up with one  :005:

Have you thought about fostering for 6months maybe to get your OH used to a 2 dog household?!

Im not sure, but if you have to take one dog out anyway, doesnt matter how many you take with you, you still have to do the same walk!!

Honestly, good luck, i hope you can get 2!!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »
We went from one cocker to two, 18 months or so ago.

Reasons against it:
1. Double the trouble, they wind each other up into a frenzy of barking or harrassing you or deciding to raid a bin or shred something jointly.
2. Double the poo collecting
3. Double the costs (insurance, food, beds, collars etc)
4. Double the muddy footprints
5. Double the grooming
6. Double the training

Reasons for it:
1. Double the trouble - they are SOOOOOO entertaining as a pair and Bella has really blossomed back into the mischievous little bag of trouble she was before all the staffie attacks.
2. Double the cocker cuddles  :luv:
3. Double the full-body-wag greetings when you come home
4. We found it far easier raising Zorro with Bella around as we didn't get any mouthing (he just chewed on Bella  ph34r), he didn't get into any trouble with chewing the wrong things (again, just chewed Bella  :lol:) and he picked up housetraining really quickly as he copied big sis.
5. The fun of getting two cockers to "give us a twirl" in unison  :lol: :luv:
6. Having two distinctly different personalities so what you miss in one, you get in the other one.
7. Your first dog having a constant playmate and buddy (assuming they get on as well as mine do).

So the good reasons outweigh the bad. I love having two!  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 04:52:33 PM »
I'd love another cocker but Molly is a little "stroppy" so and so, therefore don't think another will fit in. I would hate to take the risk and have to rehome a pup/rescue.   Also, I struggled to get OH to agree to one, so Ive got to be thankful for having Molly.   The main reason I would like another though, is cos Molly is Hubby's dog  >:D , she follows him round everywhere.  They love each other to bits, so I would like another cocker for MEEEEEEE.   OH never had a dog in his life now he says he couldnt live without one.  :o   Oh well, suppose thats cockers for you.

Lynne

mollypooch

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 09:24:01 PM »
I have just put a deposit on my second Cocker, and to be honest went through all what you are going through, took ages to convince OH he still laid down rules but gave in, in the end (probably couldnt stand my hint dropping all the time  :005:) However I do have to scratch his back, play with his hair massage his shoulders for the next SIX years Yeah right Pups will be here in three weeks  :005:
Well Now I cant wait, cant wait to see Lucy playing with him, Him learning from her probably all the wrong things! double Cocker cuddles and kisses, wouldnt of wanted only one child either  ;)
I dont think its double the work just double the pleasure  :D

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:03 AM »
isnt your dog only a very young pup? I really think you have to get your dog past the teenage phase before you introduce another. When Jack was 6mths old i saw a cocker pup i absolutly fell in love with but my oh said no and in my mind i called him all the names under the sun! one month down the line and Jack is throwing us a few challenges and im so glad i can give him all my attention at the moment and dont have a teenager and a young pup.